PDA

View Full Version : Plasti Dip Care

Dmb5450
09-07-2014, 06:11 AM
I have read many reviews and suggestions about what to use on dipped wheels, but wanted to get feedback from trustworthy autogeekers. I have 4 coats of black dip under 3 coats of the glossifier. I do not want to use anything than can harm the dip, but do want to keep it protected. My basic approach so far has been to ever so lightly wipe the wheels with a wet sponge, then pat dry with a quality towel. Does anyone have experience with keeping their dipped wheels cleaned? I love the look of the wheels, I really want to keep them this way. With PA winter quickly approaching I want to start protecting them. I sincerely thank everyone for the help!
Donnie

Sizzle Chest
09-07-2014, 09:38 AM
I use wheel cleaner on mine. Just hit them with Sonax. Let it dwell, agitate lightly with a Daytona Speedmaster brush, then rinse. Dry/pat lightly with a waffle weave drying towel.

(I have 4 coats anthracite and 2 coats glossifier on mine)

They came out great!

Dmb5450
09-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Thank you for the feedback. Agitating cleaner with a brush was a fear of mine, I didn't know if it would start to peel up or scratch the dip. I guess I should stop worrying so much, if it starts to peel I can always reapply. Is there any product/ingredient that would be to rough for plastidip?

cfiiman
09-07-2014, 01:51 PM
I have read many reviews and suggestions about what to use on dipped wheels, but wanted to get feedback from trustworthy autogeekers. I have 4 coats of black dip under 3 coats of the glossifier. I do not want to use anything than can harm the dip, but do want to keep it protected. My basic approach so far has been to ever so lightly wipe the wheels with a wet sponge, then pat dry with a quality towel. Does anyone have experience with keeping their dipped wheels cleaned? I love the look of the wheels, I really want to keep them this way. With PA winter quickly approaching I want to start protecting them. I sincerely thank everyone for the help!
Donnie

My track bike is Plasti-Dipped and the very best thing I have found to clean it is rubber gloves....no kidding. I bought a set of Rubbermaids at the store and just dip my hands into soapy water and rub gently with my hands in the gloves, works better then everything else I've tried, give it a shot and I think you will be happy.

Dmb5450
09-07-2014, 02:30 PM
I'll have to give that a try, that would have been the absolute last thing I would have thought of. I guess that's why autogeek is the best!

Sizzle Chest
09-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Thank you for the feedback. Agitating cleaner with a brush was a fear of mine, I didn't know if it would start to peel up or scratch the dip. I guess I should stop worrying so much, if it starts to peel I can always reapply. Is there any product/ingredient that would be to rough for plastidip?

I just gently use the brush when I agitate the wheels/dirt/dust/etc. Nothing to be worried about, just be careful around your edges/lips. You'll be fine!

My track bike is Plasti-Dipped and the very best thing I have found to clean it is rubber gloves....no kidding. I bought a set of Rubbermaids at the store and just dip my hands into soapy water and rub gently with my hands in the gloves, works better then everything else I've tried, give it a shot and I think you will be happy.

Never heard of this, will have to give it a shot!

longdx
09-07-2014, 05:19 PM
PlastiDip is pretty resilient but I would recommend as gentle a process as possible to clean the wheels.

Kudos to "Cfiiman" for that suggestion, I have never heard of that.

wils91
09-07-2014, 10:41 PM
don't use any kind of bug and tar remover or anything like that on plastidip. it will melt it. Trix will also melt it. not sure about IronX or similar products or other wheel and tire cleaners.

I've been using the bug and tar sponge, soaked in my soapy wash bucket. seems to do the trick on the grill of my truck.

Dmb5450
09-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Thanks for all the help!

SYMAWD
09-09-2014, 03:53 PM
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqWX2iqy8Bg&list=LLr5FJH3_9dRo88lcmNWnnjA&index=21]How To Clean plastidipped Rims - YouTube[/video]

Crispy2001
04-25-2015, 02:11 PM
I agree that it is pretty resiliant. After cleaning try a tire dressing and see what happens (super shine!). The tire coating may not last long depends on the coating.