PDA

View Full Version : Does Using A Quick Detail Spray To Aid In Carnauba Removal Hurt Anything?

cfiiman
09-07-2014, 12:44 AM
Finally got done compounding and polishing the car and now I'm on to waxing after a wash and IPA wipedown. I notice sometimes I get the 100% pure carnauba on a slightly too thick and have found using a spritz of Griots Speed Shine on my towel really makes it easy to remove. Question is does this damage/remove the freshly applied carnauba at all? I wouldn't think so b/c I believe Speed Shine has a bit of carnauba in it but wanted to ask. Is it best to try and not use anything but a towel to remove pure carnauba or is it ok to mist with a QD? I picked up this trick from the Adam's forums a long time ago but after reading an article that talked about fresh carnauba wax and how doing anything to it "wears" it, I just wanted to ask about this technique, thanks for any guidance.

rodneypierce
09-07-2014, 02:01 AM
perfectly OK to mist with QD, Doesnt hurt a thing.

Niblick
09-07-2014, 05:18 AM
If you use a prewax glaze (like dodo juice lime prime lite) before waxing, you'll find the wax spreads a lot more easily, so you won't get it caking like that. It'll also add another layer of depth and gloss to the paint

cfiiman
09-07-2014, 09:03 AM
perfectly OK to mist with QD, Doesnt hurt a thing.

Good to know, thanks!

If you use a prewax glaze (like dodo juice lime prime lite) before waxing, you'll find the wax spreads a lot more easily, so you won't get it caking like that. It'll also add another layer of depth and gloss to the paint

I've used a glaze before, but honestly I can't see a difference on this car. I was a bit bummed that the 100% carnauba wax and spray wax made 0 difference in gloss/shimmer whatever you call it, but basically the car's paint just looks so wet with nothing on it I guess there is only so much "difference" you can get. I'm at the point nothing really changes the finish, I can't even see a slight enhancement, but maybe that is not a bad thing?

Loach
09-07-2014, 12:48 PM
I don't think it hurts anything. Just take note that the last step product that you used will determine the surface tension of the panel. For example, say you wax the entire hood. On half the hood, you applied a QD over it. The way water reacts should be different compared to the side that wasn't QD'd. This is until whatever LSP evaporates off the surface leaving the base wax layer. A lot of people base LSP durability on surface tension without realizing exactly how the actual LSP wears irregardless of surface tension. Sometimes when you wash a car that has wax on it, the soap you use can greatly affect the surface tension, leaving people to believe the wax is no longer there, or protecting as good as it should, when that might not necessarily be the case.

As for your second point, if you polished it really well, then the LSP should not make that much of a difference in shine/gloss after applying the LSP.

cfiiman
09-07-2014, 01:36 PM
I don't think it hurts anything. Just take note that the last step product that you used will determine the surface tension of the panel. For example, say you wax the entire hood. On half the hood, you applied a QD over it. The way water reacts should be different compared to the side that wasn't QD'd. This is until whatever LSP evaporates off the surface leaving the base wax layer. A lot of people base LSP durability on surface tension without realizing exactly how the actual LSP wears irregardless of surface tension. Sometimes when you wash a car that has wax on it, the soap you use can greatly affect the surface tension, leaving people to believe the wax is no longer there, or protecting as good as it should, when that might not necessarily be the case.

As for your second point, if you polished it really well, then the LSP should not make that much of a difference in shine/gloss after applying the LSP.

That is what my thoughts were, and the ONLY reason I haven't ordered the Pinnacle Soveuran wax. I really want to but the way I see it is if I can see 0 difference with 3 different waxes I've used (Adam's Buttery, Mothers 100% Pure Brazilian Paste Wax and Griots Spray Wax) I fail to see how another one will show a major difference, but with all the glowing reviews I'm sooooo curious, so I'm going to go for it I guess with this 20% off sale, then at least I'll know for sure. It is worth the price to me "just to know" at this point :D Not to mention that I feel like the WOWO nature would be very nice compared to the "haze then remove" routine.

rodneypierce
09-07-2014, 11:41 PM
I have a black car, that is pretty well taken care of, and I noticed no difference in gloss/depth with Souveran over lets say something significantly cheaper like XXX or Natty Blue. Just my .02.

cfiiman
09-08-2014, 12:45 AM
I have a black car, that is pretty well taken care of, and I noticed no difference in gloss/depth with Souveran over lets say something significantly cheaper like XXX or Natty Blue. Just my .02.

Well I just ordered it so I'll see how it does, hoping I'm as wowed as all the others...