PDA

View Full Version : Is the BigFoot 21 Deluxe Kit worth it?

Pages : [1] 2

fotomatt1
09-06-2014, 08:33 PM
I'm seriously leaning towards the Rupes BigFoot 21 for my next DA, but I'm curious if the Deluxe Kit is worth buying? I know it's huge savings over buying everything retail, but is it worth buying for Rupes entire "system" or should I just get the machine, some Megs microfiber pads and stick with the Prima products I've been using. If any of you have purchased the kit, please let me know your feedback? I'll probably wait for the next no-exclusions sale to purchase, but I want to be ready to buy when it pops up! Thanks in advance.

Velocitybts
09-09-2014, 07:09 PM
This is purely my opinion: I will say I have the Flex 3401.
I just purchased the Rupes 3" and have been reading up on it.

1. I would suggest the 15 not the 21 and here is why---- the 21 is the large one, so unless you are only doing large flat panels then the 15 will serve you much better. The 15 will let you run 5.5-6" pads. Run the RUPES pads only. Or the Megs MF ones (i think I read that on here and they work great). The smaller the pad, the more you can work it in tighter spaces and the doors and curvatures will be easier.

2. they both have the same motor, so no power loss or size diff, the throw is not quite as high, but a lot higher than the 9 of the Flex.

3. Read up on the threads for which speeds to use. They said not to use over a 3-4 on the 3" or it will start tearing the expensive pads. So less is more in some cases. Technique is everything.

4. Package--- the RUPES system is really good, also are others, look at the chart for paint hardness for cars and see what others are using for your car, might be a good start. Mens FG400 followed by Mens SF4000 or the Rupes is what I use. Both are stellar, however look at the prices, and see if its a value to you for what you want. If not, then just get what you need. 3-4 cutting pads for one car if not switching 1 pad per 2 panels. Keep them clean is the key. Same for the Polishing pads too. Blue Rupes and the yellow is what you likely need most of. White is good for waxing.

5. Enjoy, you will likely love it.

Hope this helps, I am sure others will chime in.

Mastercraft241
09-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Stick with the rupes system if you detail as a hobbyist. Much more enjoyable IMO.

fotomatt1
09-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Stick with the rupes system if you detail as a hobbyist. Much more enjoyable IMO.

How so? And 15 or 21?

fotomatt1
09-09-2014, 08:22 PM
This is purely my opinion: I will say I have the Flex 3401.

I just purchased the Rupes 3" and have been reading up on it.

1. I would suggest the 15 not the 21 and here is why---- the 21 is the large one, so unless you are only doing large flat panels then the 15 will serve you much better. The 15 will let you run 5.5-6" pads. Run the RUPES pads only. Or the Megs MF ones (i think I read that on here and they work great). The smaller the pad, the more you can work it in tighter spaces and the doors and curvatures will be easier.

2. they both have the same motor, so no power loss or size diff, the throw is not quite as high, but a lot higher than the 9 of the Flex.

3. Read up on the threads for which speeds to use. They said not to use over a 3-4 on the 3" or it will start tearing the expensive pads. So less is more in some cases. Technique is everything.

4. Package--- the RUPES system is really good, also are others, look at the chart for paint hardness for cars and see what others are using for your car, might be a good start. Mens FG400 followed by Mens SF4000 or the Rupes is what I use. Both are stellar, however look at the prices, and see if its a value to you for what you want. If not, then just get what you need. 3-4 cutting pads for one car if not switching 1 pad per 2 panels. Keep them clean is the key. Same for the Polishing pads too. Blue Rupes and the yellow is what you likely need most of. White is good for waxing.

5. Enjoy, you will likely love it.

Hope this helps, I am sure others will chime in.

I looked at the paint hardness chart and MINI has no entries. :-(

swanicyouth
09-09-2014, 08:25 PM
If your detailing your own car and friends only - IMHO it's not worth it.

But, not because of the accessories - but because of the machine. Compounding or heavy correction of your own car should be once in a lifetime thing per car. You should get the 15 instead...its a lot less $$$, the pads cost less - and your not likely to see a huge difference between the 15 & 21

The 21s stock BP is too big for the casual user & changing to the smaller BP adds another $50 to the price of the already costlier machine.

I like the Rupes finer polishes - but the more aggressive they get - the more they dust.

The Rupes 15 or 21 is not a good idea if its going to be your only DA.

expdetailing
09-09-2014, 09:42 PM
fotomatt,
I'm guessing you already have a pc, gg, or meg's da. You can convert that to your curved body lines/ tight areas/ & window polisher by aqcuiring smaller backing plates if you go with a rupes. If your set on a rupes, get the 21 if you have the other da to use w/ smaller backing plates.
If you don't have another da, get the flex and be prepaired to swap backing plates in and out per car till you can get another machine.
What I just wrote does not address your question asked. I just thought I would give you my line of thinking, since everyone kind of stirred the pot on the whole rupe 15 vs 21.
I bought rupes pads and polishes but have not used them. Lake Country just came out with their own version. It's basically a copycat. I hear others have had success using menzerna polishes, and someone wrote he was using someone elses pads. If I recall, I think he used buff n shine.
By the way, if you get the 15 and after a while know you could have gotten the 21, well, then you could buy a 21. I vote, just buy the 21 now, and get the whole package. It's all color coded. They took the thinking out of it for us.

fotomatt1
09-10-2014, 05:59 AM
fotomatt,
I'm guessing you already have a pc, gg, or meg's da. You can convert that to your curved body lines/ tight areas/ & window polisher by aqcuiring smaller backing plates if you go with a rupes. If your set on a rupes, get the 21 if you have the other da to use w/ smaller backing plates.
If you don't have another da, get the flex and be prepaired to swap backing plates in and out per car till you can get another machine.
What I just wrote does not address your question asked. I just thought I would give you my line of thinking, since everyone kind of stirred the pot on the whole rupe 15 vs 21.
I bought rupes pads and polishes but have not used them. Lake Country just came out with their own version. It's basically a copycat. I hear others have had success using menzerna polishes, and someone wrote he was using someone elses pads. If I recall, I think he used buff n shine.
By the way, if you get the 15 and after a while know you could have gotten the 21, well, then you could buy a 21. I vote, just buy the 21 now, and get the whole package. It's all color coded. They took the thinking out of it for us.

Thanks! This is what Kevin Brown at buff daddy suggested. I have an original PC7424 (not an XP). He said I should put a 3" pad on that for curves and tight areas, and go for the 21. He also thinks the 21 works great with a 5" backing plate. This sound like the right thing to do?

Mike Phillips
09-10-2014, 07:26 AM
I'd go with the Bigfoot 21, get the 5" backing plate so you can use 6" pads and stick with the Rupes "System" of pads and products.

I find I can tackle just about any paint using the blue cutting pads with the Zephir Gloss Compound and then follow that with either the yellow pads and matching polish or the white pads and matching polish.

The Rupes Blue Cutting pads and matching compound can work miracles. Clean up afterwards is just a matter of paint hardness and thus which pad and product it will take to create perfection.

This custom paint job was tackled using only Rupes polishers, pads and products...

Rupes Polishers - Extreme Makeover - 1965 Chevy Streetrod (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/83891-rupes-polishers-extreme-makeover-1965-chevy-streetrod.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=80076

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=80083

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=80094

Duetto 21
What I asked Marco for when I was at Rupes in Italy (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/82066-top-secret-pictures-how-rupes-bigfoot-polishers-made.html), I politely asked Marco to build me a one-off Rupes polisher.

I asked for the guts of a Rupes Bigfoot 21 inside the body of the Duetto. To me this would be the perfect Rupes polisher. He laughed... but he didn't say "no". So I'm still waiting....

:D

Impressions
09-10-2014, 09:16 AM
keep dreamin buddy! :)

fotomatt1
09-10-2014, 02:46 PM
I'd go with the Bigfoot 21, get the 5" backing plate so you can use 6" pads and stick with the Rupes "System" of pads and products.

I find I can tackle just about any paint using the blue cutting pads with the Zephir Gloss Compound and then follow that with either the yellow pads and matching polish or the white pads and matching polish.

The Rupes Blue Cutting pads and matching compound can work miracles. Clean up afterwards is just a matter of paint hardness and thus which pad and product it will take to create perfection.

This custom paint job was tackled using only Rupes polishers, pads and products...

Rupes Polishers - Extreme Makeover - 1965 Chevy Streetrod (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/83891-rupes-polishers-extreme-makeover-1965-chevy-streetrod.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=80076

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=80083

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=80094

Duetto 21
What I asked Marco for when I was at Rupes in Italy (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/82066-top-secret-pictures-how-rupes-bigfoot-polishers-made.html), I politely asked Marco to build me a one-off Rupes polisher.

I asked for the guts of a Rupes Bigfoot 21 inside the body of the Duetto. To me this would be the perfect Rupes polisher. He laughed... but he didn't say "no". So I'm still waiting....

:D

Mike,

Do you have any advice for MINI paint? Is it basically the same as BMW paint as far as hardness, etc? There were no entries for MINI on the Paint Hardness Chart. Do you think the Rupes system will work ok for it? Some have suggested Megs MF pads on the Rupes machine with Menzerna products.

Thanks,
M

Mike Phillips
09-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Mike,

Do you have any advice for MINI paint? Is it basically the same as BMW paint as far as hardness, etc? There were no entries for MINI on the Paint Hardness Chart. Do you think the Rupes system will work ok for it? Some have suggested Megs MF pads on the Rupes machine with Menzerna products.

Thanks,
M

I've never used a chart.... I do a test spot and go from the results and experience.

I'm not a big use of MF pads but that's just me... I either use foam on a dual action polisher or jump to wool on a PE14 and just get the chopping over with...

I don't believe Mini Cooper's are known for having hard paint and quite frankly, it would be the least of my worries.

:)

Velocitybts
09-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Mike is the most knowledgeable so run with what he says. I was referencing the hardness chart, due to the combinations people mentioned that worked for them on that specific vehicle. The Rupes Zephyr with the blue pad would work just fine for you. The yellow pads with diamond. Diamond is my fav, just use Menzerna FG400 for my compound. Test spots are what you should do anyway, but being that you are trying to just by what you need, I would say stick with the Rupes products, starting with the Blue pass then going to yellow. ALL the people mentioned different sizes, just remember Mike said 21 but get the 5 inch backing plate which is extra so you can run 6" pads. Essentially the 15 with option of the larger pads also. Not a bad idea. I run 5-6 inch pads for all but trim and bumpers for me, so the 15 is what I would go with, but if you have the extra, go with the 21 and buy the extra 5" plate. Best of both worlds. JUST remember, changing out pads is the key, always use and keep a clean pad and you will get the best results.

fotomatt1
09-10-2014, 07:06 PM
Mike is the most knowledgeable so run with what he says. I was referencing the hardness chart, due to the combinations people mentioned that worked for them on that specific vehicle. The Rupes Zephyr with the blue pad would work just fine for you. The yellow pads with diamond. Diamond is my fav, just use Menzerna FG400 for my compound. Test spots are what you should do anyway, but being that you are trying to just by what you need, I would say stick with the Rupes products, starting with the Blue pass then going to yellow. ALL the people mentioned different sizes, just remember Mike said 21 but get the 5 inch backing plate which is extra so you can run 6" pads. Essentially the 15 with option of the larger pads also. Not a bad idea. I run 5-6 inch pads for all but trim and bumpers for me, so the 15 is what I would go with, but if you have the extra, go with the 21 and buy the extra 5" plate. Best of both worlds. JUST remember, changing out pads is the key, always use and keep a clean pad and you will get the best results.

Don't you think the blue pad is too aggressive for a pretty new car?

af90
09-10-2014, 07:41 PM
Don't you think the blue pad is too aggressive for a pretty new car?
The condition of the paint determines aggressiveness, far too many new cars have quite a bit of defects in the paint.