PDA

View Full Version : Trick to using nanoskin sponge?

Hokie335i
09-06-2014, 12:41 AM
Hey guys so I've been using the nanoskin buffer pads for the past year and a half of so and decided to order the two sponges cause they're cheaper. Just tried it on a SLK55 I'm doing for a customer and am not getting the results I want. I broke it in and am using plenty of lube. Just wondering is there a trick to using the sponges? Both the fine and medium sponges are leaving behind really bad marring.

I never had an issue with the 2 buffer pads I've used so I'm confused as to why these seem more temperamental.

Tato
09-06-2014, 08:04 AM
The nanoskin marring may happen to a little or longer extent depending on paint softness, but it also may show up more on darker colors.

It will happen mostly every time you use nanoskin (or clay), the fact is, some cars show more, some show less.

It's good practice to follow claying (and nanoskin) with, at least, one polish step with (at least, again) a fine polish and a finishing pad.

The good news is, nanoskin marring will go away after the first pass. Your defects (swirls, scratches, waterspot stains, etc) may take a lot longer, so you don't have to worry at all.

My tip for using nanoskin is to find the lube that works better for you and stick with it.

That said, I've played a lot with car soap, used car wash'n'wax soap for long, tried quick detailers, all with mostly great results, but my favorite nowadays for nanoskin is free flowing water.

That said, after thorough washing the car, during the rinse, I take advantage of the flowing water and use the nanoskin while rinsing.

Please, keep in mind 'FLOWING' water is way different from using plain water in a spray bottle. Sprayed pure water is 'static' lube and may increase marring - Flowing water is 'dynamic', it's not the water per se that will lube, but it's flow. Take advantage of the flowing water and rinse your nanoskin often as well.

You may feel the nanoskin gliding freely over the flow of water, and you also can see the contaminants (like overspray) being easily removed in 2-3 nanoskin passes throughout this process. Works, great!

It's hard to explain by words (I'm brazilian, sorry), but it's likely you grab the hose with one hand, nanoskin with the other, and while rinsing an area, you use nanoskin over the water flowing. Beware not to drag the hose on car's finish, sure!

It's a straightforward process, and it works very well.

Please, let me know if you need some more help on this, it'll be my pleasure to help you out.

Kind Regards.

HD.Detailing
09-06-2014, 08:16 AM
^^^yep

i like them only if polishing after. They have marred every car I've used them on.

JHL88
09-06-2014, 08:26 AM
I never use anything other than Nanoskin products for clay lube. Glide has worked really well for me and says on the bottle that basically the dilution is stronger for the nanoskin decon products compared to the recommended regular clay lube dilution.

This tells me that regular clay lube that people use such as ONR for example may not be sufficient enough to prevent marring. People fail to realize this... and I have experienced no damage to my Silverado.

Hokie335i
09-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Thanks guys. Maybe I'll switch my lube. I'm using chemical guys clay lube right now. I normally use my buffer nanoskin pads on my jet black BMW but these sponges just seem to not work as well IMO. I'll play with some other lubricants that I have (including glide) but in the end may go back to the buffer pads..

jmsc
09-06-2014, 09:24 AM
Anyone use Nanoskin's Shock lube? I've used Glide and no marring yet.

JHL88
09-06-2014, 09:29 AM

IDK if I ever heard of anyone using it for lube even though it says you can but I know of people that used it as a QD and they have said it provides decent protection.

Kamakaz1961
09-06-2014, 09:48 AM
I use the Blue Nanoskin Sponge on a regular basis and do not have any marring issues and I have a Black Colored car. I use a rinseless wash mixture, however, my dilution ratio is about 2 to 2.5 ounces for a 32 ounce bottle.

It's a rich mixture, however, I have no issues regarding any marring issues.

My current rinseless wash is Pinnacle RW w/carnauba. It works great.

It appears on all these threads they are suggesting you use a better lubricant for your sponge.

I would try that and IMO you should have no more or significantly less issues.

I have a gallon jug of Pinnacle so I am not worried about running out and it's cost is not a big issue.

allenk4
09-06-2014, 11:22 AM
:Picture:

I believe Shock is designed as a clay lube that leaves behind a sealant