PDA

View Full Version : Me some advice in breaking in my Bigfoot 21

theparmachine
09-05-2014, 11:55 PM
I finally got the chance to use my polisher after owning it for a couple months this last week. What's the trick in using the roots 21 on the side panels and bumpers. I use the 6 inch backing plate on the hood the roof and the back trunk lid before everything else I had trouble keeping the pad spinning so I put the 5 inch backing plate on and had some pretty good results using a smaller pad. Is this what you have to do with the Bigfoot 21. 21. Interested to hear your thoughts and advice

Evan.J
09-06-2014, 12:02 AM
Just use the 5" backing plate on the 21. That's my combo for that machine and I have never had any issues with pad rotation.

There is a little bit of a learning curve to use the machine but it's not bad you just have to use it more and more.

Use very light pressure

theparmachine
09-06-2014, 12:36 AM
I thought the benefit of the Bigfoot 21 was the bigger pad and faster correction times. I'll agree it was very easy to use a 25 inch pan and no problem to use on the side panels or the courage. Maybe that's just the thing to do with this machine. If that's the case I'm not sure I'm quite sold over this one or the Flex.

WRAPT C5Z06
09-06-2014, 07:17 AM
The Rupes biggest downfall is the lack of pad rotation on non flat surfaces. The only pad I feel pad that spins really well, overall, is the Meg's 5" microfiber finishing pad. You need the washer mod, regardless. As you use the machine more, you'll learn how to manipulate pad rotation better, but it's still an issue a fair amount of time.

HD.Detailing
09-06-2014, 08:04 AM
As stated before, just practice. Be sure to marker the backing plate so you can see the pad spin while holding the machine properly on different shapes. The machine will spin on curved areas if you use it properly.

Most of the time, I use the HF DA with smaller pads for bumpers simply because most have small sections and angles that anything bigger than 3-4" pad will be to much.

tedj101
09-06-2014, 09:08 AM
The Rupes biggest downfall is the lack of pad rotation on non flat surfaces. The only pad I feel pad that spins really well, overall, is the Meg's 5" microfiber finishing pad. You need the washer mod, regardless. As you use the machine more, you'll learn how to manipulate pad rotation better, but it's still an issue a fair amount of time.

It does require a lot of attention to keep the pad spinning on irregularly shaped panels. I suspect that this becomes innate over time (though I haven't reached that point yet and may never).

<TED>

theparmachine
09-06-2014, 06:18 PM
Does anyone have any information on the gloss it 21 polisher? It says that it's supposed to have more power than the rupes