PDA

View Full Version : Shelf-life of products, in general

newb001
09-04-2014, 03:33 PM
Without listing a dozen different products, is there a general rule of thumb regarding shelf life? Or at least a rule for waxes, washes, trim guard, etc...?

I have a bunch of stuff that I bought 3-4 years ago, use very infrequently, and am wondering if, in general, it's still good, or if it should really only sit for a couple years before it goes bad. All products have been opened but are closed in their original bottles. I try to keep them indoors as much as possible, but some of the car wash solutions have sat in the garage through 90 degree summers and 0 degree winters...

Thanks for any thoughts!

cleanmycorolla
09-04-2014, 03:53 PM
IMO. Waxes can last a while. Honestly if you keep it out of drastic temps, the products will last a while. Some may need a good shaking, but I've had stuff for years and years and it's still performing fine. The only thing I've had go bad was a bottle of TPnS and I think it's because it froze on accident.

swanicyouth
09-04-2014, 04:13 PM
If it looks bad - it probably is bad. Believe me - you'll know.

No there is no rule. Certain products will grow mold - and some won't. Some will separate - and not be able to be remixed....whatever ingredient was helping to emulsify them is likely toast.

There are to many variables to predict anything really. Some products are good for 10+ years - some only a year. Changes in color (lightening) don't necessarily mean the product is bad - just the color faded.

Changes in constancy or glops of nasty goo that can't be shaken away - it's time for the dumpster.

wdmaccord
09-04-2014, 06:40 PM
I personally think environment is the biggest factor. If you have space to keep everything inside year round, I think that can make a big difference in longevity. Of course, we all think about winter and what freezing can do, but humid summer climates can have consequences as well.

Hella JDM
09-04-2014, 07:13 PM
I have never seen any paste products go bad, but I have had liquid stuff for years that eventually went bad. Hell I had to throw a bunch of OPT products way after a year of sitting.

alpha1
09-04-2014, 07:28 PM
My brother has 8 year old turtle wax and it is still going strong to this day!

oldmodman
09-05-2014, 01:19 AM
I have never had anything that needed to be thrown away.
But store all my stuff inside so it never sees above 78 or below 45
And the only extra special precaution that I take whenever I have a bottle of a liquid open I give it a shot of nitrogen to force out any oxygen before putting the cap back on.

BillE
09-05-2014, 06:03 AM
I have never had anything that needed to be thrown away.
But store all my stuff inside so it never sees above 78 or below 45
And the only extra special precaution that I take whenever I have a bottle of a liquid open I give it a shot of nitrogen to force out any oxygen before putting the cap back on.

May I ask...where does one get nitrogen?

Besides taping into those giant liquid nitrogen tanks outside the local 3M company (LOL).

Bill

Inzane
09-05-2014, 10:06 AM
is there a general rule of thumb regarding shelf life?

The first general rule I'd say is: Longer than the manufacturer claims.

I have a bunch of stuff that I bought 3-4 years ago, use very infrequently, and am wondering if, in general, it's still good,!

3-4 years? I can't think of any detailing product I've ever had that wasn't still good in that timeframe. Most should be able to go much longer than that.

newb001
09-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Thank you!

PiPUK
09-05-2014, 11:19 AM
It depends on the product.

Most non-emulsion liquids (shampoos, wheel cleaners etc) will not really go off unless you were to expose them to something that they should not be exposed. So keep out of direct sunlight, avoid extreme heat or cold and you should be fine. If a product is un-opened, it is even less likely that there would be an issue. Often, even if the product is exposed to this and separates, it can be recovered by bringing back to a sensible temperature and giving it a really good shake.

Emulsion products will be more sensitive. It will take less temperature extreme to cause them to fall apart and they may not go back together when shaken. You may get them to go together, but you should be aware that the emulsion size you achieve with a shake is much larger than that achieved with high shear mixing, which would be how they have been made. What this means is that the product will be less stable going onwards and may well perform rather differently. Emulsions will also tend to degrade more rapidly, even in ideal conditions. So if you leave one sitting on a shelf for 3 years, there is a fair chance that it will have gone off and the above would apply.

Thickened emulsions or creams will tend to be more stable than their less viscous counterparts. However you still have to take the same care and the same issues may apply if they do go off.

Solvent based products will typically be quite stable and the main issue with sealants, for example, would be moisture which can cause them to cure in the bottle (contrary to common belief, it is NOT the oxygen which is the problem). Temperature extremes here are more likely to be a health and safety issue than causing a lot of stability issues.

Waxes... I would be inclined to say that extremes should be avoided here too. I know that there is a tendency for people to store them in the fridge but I would not really recommend this. If nothing else, this means that the wax will be cold when you open it, moisture will then condense on the surface and can potentially cause issue (waxes commonly contain the same sort of things found in sealants - they can moisture cure, so beware).

As a rule, we would not quote a lifetime longer than 2 years. There are too many variables beyond that (but, assuming good storage, yes, this will be conservative).

oldmodman
09-05-2014, 01:05 PM
May I ask...where does one get nitrogen?

Bill

I got my tank of nitrogen by turning in a small acetylene tank and got a nitrogen tank. it usually lasts me for about two years.
I use it to fill all my tires too.

But what it really works great for storing paints. I give the inside of the paint can a spray before I put the lid on and when I open the can, even years later, there is no skin on top of the paint.

BillE
09-06-2014, 07:19 AM
I got my tank of nitrogen by turning in a small acetylene tank and got a nitrogen tank. it usually lasts me for about two years.
I use it to fill all my tires too.

But what it really works great for storing paints. I give the inside of the paint can a spray before I put the lid on and when I open the can, even years later, there is no skin on top of the paint.

:xyxthumbs: Understand...just didn't think it through before I posted.

Thanx...

Bill