PDA

View Full Version : Do coatings take the fun out of detailing?

Pages : [1] 2

conman1395
09-04-2014, 10:04 AM
Probably more applicable to ones own car, but do you guys think coatings take the fun out of detailing?
Weekend waxing, playing around with other sealants or waxes, and other activities that coatings replace seem to be missed by some people who put on coating.

RevitalizeAutoSpa
09-04-2014, 10:17 AM
If I were still single with no kids, I would agree. But with the amount of constraints I have on my free time, it meant the vehicles were getting a synthetic sealant every few months - as compared to back in the day when my vehicle got waxed every two-three weeks.

Zelfiris
09-04-2014, 10:27 AM
I think coating gives flexibility, especially for those with time constraints.

I find detailing to be fun in many forms. I'm not one to try all the new wax and sealant but by spending less time maintaining my paint, I can set my time aside for other parts of detailing I enjoy, such as polishing other cars and using the extra time to clean interiors on my maintenance washes

allenk4
09-04-2014, 10:36 AM
I agree with Zelferis...coating or even a good sealant makes maintenance so much easier, that it frees up time to perfect other parts of the car

I also appreciate how much cleaner my car stays between washes with Sealant vs. Wax

I have experimented with CQuartz UK and will be jumping on the Coating Bandwagon soon!

FUNX650
09-04-2014, 10:49 AM
No. Not really.

[And: Whoever said detailing vehicles was Fun to begin with...needs their ________ ________ _________ !!
(fill-in the blanks)]

•I hate detailing!
-You wash your car...You dry your car; and, then:
-Six months later you have to start all over again. :detailer:

Please. Please. Please: MAKE IT STOP!! :surrender:

Bob

PA DETAILER
09-04-2014, 10:52 AM
I thought the same, but after using my first coating last week (DP PAINT COAT) i enjoyed prepping the xterra and using it. It's one of the most user friendly out of the bunch. And after the first wash, i saw first hand how easy the xterra is going to be to MAINTAIN now. I understand you can TOP dp paint coat with a wax if you choose, but i do not. The coating itself left behind a smooth glossy finish. If i get temped to mess with it, i can just hit it with megs quik detailer after each wash. And same thing for the rest of the xterra. The glass/wheels and trim are also sealed. It makes it so much eaiser to MAINTAIN.

I will add, i use to think coatings had their place for a BRAND NEW VEHICLE. But if you have a vehicle that has been maintained it's never too late to get the benifits of a coating.

jamesboyy
09-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Haha nice Bob (FUNX725).....as for coatings its a yes and no answer really cause it frees up time so you can focus on other areas of detailing, perfecting the garage queen, family or significant other along with knowing your baby is a little more protected, though one will miss the smooth feeling when rubbing a high quality carnuba wax on a freshly clayed/polished paintwork or even miss the days of applying too much klasse sealant and becoming a pain to remove....and even though you can still apply wax and or sealant on a coating its not the same

.brian.
09-04-2014, 11:06 AM
If I were still single with no kids, I would agree. But with the amount of constraints I have on my free time, it meant the vehicles were getting a synthetic sealant every few months - as compared to back in the day when my vehicle got waxed every two-three weeks.

Completely agree. I hate to say it, but I am lucky if I get to wash my vehicles once a month anymore. Long gone are the days of once per week (sometimes more often) washes :(

Of course, the tradeoff means I am spending more time with my wife and children, so it could be worse.

RevitalizeAutoSpa
09-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Completely agree. I hate to say it, but I am lucky if I get to wash my vehicles once a month anymore. Long gone are the days of once per week (sometimes more often) washes :(

Of course, the tradeoff means I am spending more time with my wife and children, so it could be worse.

I typically get the vehicles sprayed off (foam cannon\CarPro Reset) once a week, and they get a hand wash once a month. That does a good enough job for me. And of course the older two kids are outside "helping". I encourage them to wash their Cozy Coupe and scooter instead of the real vehicles...

Kamakaz1961
09-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Probably more applicable to ones own car, but do you guys think coatings take the fun out of detailing?
Weekend waxing, playing around with other sealants or waxes, and other activities that coatings replace seem to be missed by some people who put on coating.

I am in your camp on this one...I like detailing and I think it is fun to do. I buy all types of waxes and I recently purchased a boutique wax from a small manufacturer. I am looking forward to stripping my car and doing it all over again.

This is my stress relief and Bob may see it in a different way....this is my cup o'joe way.

I will not join the Dark Side for quite a while.....nothing wrong either way.

Inzane
09-04-2014, 12:53 PM
I'm not sure if this thread is the right place to bring this up, but given coatings have been around for a few years now is it generally known what the resultant impact is on the autobody repair industry?

ie. If you get a panel hit that needs to be repaired and refinished, does having a "coating" on the paint (vs. a sealant or wax) make the prep work any more involved, timely or costly?

FUNX650
09-04-2014, 01:16 PM
I'm not sure if this thread is the right place to bring this up, but given coatings have been around for a few years now is it generally known what the resultant impact is on the autobody repair industry?

ie. If you get a panel hit that needs to be repaired and refinished, does having a "coating" on the paint (vs. a sealant or wax) make the prep work any more involved, timely or costly?
A good auto body shop's personnel will know how to properly prep a vehicle/vehicle panel if it's been "Coated".

Bob

firecorgi
09-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Coatings and proper care gives me more time to research products and learn from others!

Oh yeah...and spend time with my wife, watch college football, fish, and what ever other endeavors I may have.

Pureshine
09-04-2014, 04:36 PM
For us that do this for a living coatings bring in big $$$. If I do 2-3 Stage 3 details that more a month than I ever made at my old job.

FocusSTguy
09-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Coatings have their place.

This is all pretty new to me now I look forward to washing my car and having to wax it. I have the time and find it very relaxing.