PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Pads during a Detail.

Pages : [1] 2

Jimmie
08-08-2007, 10:53 AM
What is your technique when your pad gets too dirty to continue on the same detail?
If anyone cleans and keeps the same pad in play, how do you do it?

pirex
08-08-2007, 11:05 AM
I spray them with xmt pad cleaner, and just rinse them with the hose. Put them on the machine, and spin them to they are dry ;)

D
08-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Clean with Dawn and warm water, spin dry on PC. Then back to work.

You have to make sure is 100% dry though.

Gary Sword
08-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Before I start detailing a mix up a bucket of pad soap & water. When a pad gets dirty I just throw it in and get a different pad. When I done with the detail I wash out all the pads.

67Customs
08-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Just FYI,

Before all you people that have never tried it before go out and start spinning your pads on a machine to dry them, make sure it is on a lower setting or else the pad is going to fly off and chop your nose off, put your eye out or kill your dog. So be careful when free spinning a pad on a machine because it can fly off at a rapid speed. I've seen it happen.

(That is mostly for the hook and loop pad users. I don't see the edge type system pads having this problem.)

D
08-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Just FYI,

Before all you people that have never tried it before go out and start spinning your pads on a machine to dry them, make sure it is on a lower setting or else the pad is going to fly off and chop your nose off, put your eye out or kill your dog. So be careful when free spinning a pad on a machine because it can fly off at a rapid speed. I've seen it happen.

(That is mostly for the hook and loop pad users. I don't see the edge type system pads having this problem.)

Good point. I keep pressure on the bottom of the pad with my other hand so this doesnt happen.

Pretty sure Jimmie is used the Edge system though.

greg'sgoat
08-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Pad brush and the rotary at like 2000-2200 rpm.

I usually don't detail enough during the one day to need all my pads, so if working with the PC and they get clogged, I'll through them on the rotary and brush them, or just grap another one and stick it on the PC.

coupe
08-08-2007, 12:49 PM
I spur my foam pads with an old tooth brush after every panel. Once they get to caked that the spur isnt working anymore i wash them out with XMT pad cleaner, rinse, put them back on the machine and spin all the water out. Then i get back to work, its ok if the pad is still a little damp, wont effect anything.

Since i use the edge2K system on my rotary i rarily have to do this and i have multiple pads for my PC.

blkexcoupe
08-08-2007, 01:59 PM
I spray them with xmt pad cleaner, and just rinse them with the hose. Put them on the machine, and spin them to they are dry ;)

I do the same even though I have enough pads just to switch in the middle of a detail. I just hate having to clean all of them at the end of the day, so I clean it as I work.

Gary Sword
08-08-2007, 02:09 PM
I do the same even though I have enough pads just to switch in the middle of a detail. I just hate having to clean all of them at the end of the day, so I clean it as I work.

That funny, I hate to stop detailing to clean pads. After soaking the clean up real easy at the end of a detail.

blkexcoupe
08-08-2007, 02:12 PM
That funny, I hate to stop detailing to clean pads. After soaking the clean up real easy at the end of a detail.

In the middle of the detail it's only 1 pad to clean, but at the end of the day it could be a small bucket full sometimes. Also stopping to clean the pads means a break from that UDM/PC vibration. :p

Sevenrd
08-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Like Gary, I just toss them in a bucket with pad cleaner and put a fresh one on.

P1et
08-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Personally, I wash the pad out quickly with some Wolfgang pad cleaner. Then I spin them dry or blot them dry, then back to work!

stiffdogg06
08-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Since I have so many pads that I've ordered. I use a new pad for every panel.

A cleaner pad has faster cutting ability. So I use it, set it aside and then clean it at night; since I only used it once, there's barely any residue on it anyways so it comes clean really easy.:awesome:

ZoranC
08-12-2007, 01:43 PM
I have number of pads at hand, I just slap new one on, I clean them later, time is money.