PDA

View Full Version : Polishing the roof

Pages : [1] 2 3

frankprozzoly
09-03-2014, 06:44 AM
Kind of a dumb question but I'm curious what you guys do. I use a step latter to work on the roof. But even with the latter I'm trying not to lean on the car and its just awkward. It's also tiring on the arms stretching out with the machine.

I need a forklift so I can lay down over the roof. Any tricks to consider

Evan.J
09-03-2014, 06:47 AM
Lay a towel down and work from the middle outward while standing on a Werner work platform.

Kevin Cullen
09-03-2014, 06:54 AM
I use two Werner platforms side by side. This seems to be enough length so you can finish one whole side without getting up and down to move the platform along. Then move the platforms to the other side of the vehicle and do the same.

HUMP DIESEL
09-03-2014, 06:58 AM
I was looking into one of these

3-700 (http://www.traxionproducts.com/3-700.html)

It was made more for mechanics to be able to lean over into engine bays, but it looks like a back saver for roofs on vehicles as well.

HUMP

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
09-03-2014, 07:09 AM
As others have mentioned, the Werner platform is going to be your best friend for reaching the tops of SUV's. Also remeber to lay a down down on the edge of the roof if you need to lean across it.

frankprozzoly
09-03-2014, 08:13 AM
I'll look that up

PA DETAILER
09-03-2014, 08:19 AM
I have a mini ladder/step stool. Use it to wash the xterra. And i seal the roof with BFCS and WGTS on all the roof plastics. Keeps me from always messing around up there.

davidc
09-03-2014, 08:21 AM
I use this micro fiber sold here as I know I will be leaning over fenders, roof etc. Works perfectly, no scratches, abrasions etc.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2271_122093854

Dave

Paul A.
09-03-2014, 08:21 AM
Love my Werner platform for that and a big WW MF towel draped under me belly! Been looking at a MF apron as pictured above From Dave but in the FL heat of a bagillion degrees i'm not sure i really want the extra layer. I also use the rear tires to stand on when i progress further back.

davidc
09-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Been looking at a MF apron as pictured above From Dave but in the FL heat of a bagillion degrees i'm not sure i really want the extra layer. I also use the rear tires to stand on when i progress further back.

I can relate to the heat. It is anywhere from 100-120 here but I do not really notice the apron or I am to old to notice. I am rarely in direct sunlight when wearing it also but all conditions are different and your sky high humidity may make a difference also.

Dave

Paul A.
09-03-2014, 08:58 AM
Yes, the difference is our humidity. I am dripping wet all the time and i'm out of direct sun also. I would probably love 100 degrees but 35% humidity hahaha!

Paul A.
09-03-2014, 09:01 AM
I also like pro 4 X's idea of really sealing up the roof panels. First, they take direct UV bombardment and the less to worry about up there the better.

However...don't want to hijack the direction of the thread. My Werner platform was a gift but i would get another one if i have to pay for it. I just fold it up and hang it in the garage. Sturdy and has served me well.

dpk20x
09-03-2014, 09:03 AM
I dont have a fancy platform. Too cheap for that :) I just use an extra chair we have lying around. And what I like to do, although its Probably not the best idea, but I like to open the window all the way and place one foot on the car seat. I take my shoe off and place a towel on the seat of course.

I find this gives me better leverage and I don't have to reach quite as far. Of course this may look unprofessional if you're working on a customer's car. I'm only a hobbyist so no worries there.

Paul A.
09-03-2014, 09:14 AM
Another decent idea to help solve the roof "reach" issue, Dave. I would absolutely not think twice about that (ok, for the wife's car) as i can't imagine that causing any problems as you've described.

Hey, at 5' 9" i need all the tricks ya'll have figured out!

julius071
09-03-2014, 10:16 AM
Looked into Werner platform and the max capacity is 225lbs. Might want to look Into that.