PDA

View Full Version : Will Flex 3401 burn paint?

Pages : [1] 2

fotomatt1
09-02-2014, 01:01 PM
I'm just curious, since the Flex 3401 is forced rotation unlike the Rupes Bigfoot or PC7424XP, can it burn paint if you're not extremely careful, or is it still much safer than a true rotary machine? I currently have an original PC7424 and am probably ready to upgrade.

Dr_Pain
09-02-2014, 01:04 PM
Due to the forced rotation (regardless of load or pad contact) the answer is yes!

fotomatt1
09-02-2014, 01:09 PM
So as a non-professional, am I better off to go with a Rupes Bigfoot?

Evan.J
09-02-2014, 01:12 PM
To add you can burn paint with any machine when there is enough heat allowed to be generated in a fixed spot.

Will it take the same amount of time as a rotary? No.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
09-02-2014, 01:14 PM
As long as you pay attention to what is going on, you will not burn paint. This machine is still a DA although forced rotation.

fotomatt1
09-02-2014, 01:16 PM
I was pretty much set on the 3401 when I read a few comments about people not liking forced rotation, which seems to be an either love or hate feature. I'm completely confused about which machine to go with. I'll probably wait on either until there's another no-exclusions sale, but I'm not really sure how to decide.

2.ooohhh
09-02-2014, 01:36 PM
So if you're not a professional what are you seeking to gain by upgrading your polisher? There is very little you can't do with your PC given the proper pads and backing plate it will just generally take more time.

Rsurfer
09-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Before the Rupes was introduced, the Flex 3401 was king. Nothing really compared to the Flex for years. As you can imagine there are thousands of Flex 3401 owners. I for one do not care for the forced rotation. Are you detailing for money or just a hobbyist?

fotomatt1
09-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Before the Rupes was introduced, the Flex 3401 was king. Nothing really compared to the Flex for years. As you can imagine there are thousands of Flex 3401 owners. I for one do not care for the forced rotation. Are you detailing for money or just a hobbyist?

I'm just a hobbyist. My family has three cars (two of which live outside), and I try to keep them looking good all the time....difficult in the Northeast. The PC takes me forever, and it's an original...not an XP. The pad stops spinning even at a slight angle....it doesn't have very much power at all. Autogeek suggested I upgrade at some point and told me to look at both the Rupes and Flex. They're both nice machines in similar price ranges, so I'm not really sure what to do.

Dr_Pain
09-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Flex 3401 is king on curves and when you need to put on edge. Pad rotation does not stop even when you put a heavy load on it. Excellent cross over DA from automotive paint to gel coat. It is rough on the forearm when working with flat pads and will walk

Rupes is king on flat surfaces. It is smoother and lot less vibration. Will stop rotating if put on edge and/or not on a perfectly flat surface. It does do well on as a cross over DA but on gel coat where you need a little more down pressure the rotation of the pad will stop.

Hobbiest with no money concerns I would go for the Rupes. For more "production" power I would go for the Flex. I have both and I use them interchangeably depending on what I need.

Rsurfer
09-02-2014, 01:53 PM
I'm just a hobbyist. My family has three cars (two of which live outside), and I try to keep them looking good all the time....difficult in the Northeast. The PC takes me forever, and it's an original...not an XP. The pad stops spinning even at a slight angle....it doesn't have very much power at all. Autogeek suggested I upgrade at some point and told me to look at both the Rupes and Flex. They're both nice machines in similar price ranges, so I'm not really sure what to do.
Having only 3 cars to take care of and I'm sure they are in decent condition being that you do own a PC.. I would get a Griot's 6" DA and some micro fiber pads. You can experiment with different compounds/polishes to see what works best for you.

fotomatt1
09-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Flex 3401 is king on curves and when you need to put on edge. Pad rotation does not stop even when you put a heavy load on it. Excellent cross over DA from automotive paint to gel coat. It is rough on the forearm when working with flat pads and will walk

Rupes is king on flat surfaces. It is smoother and lot less vibration. Will stop rotating if put on edge and/or not on a perfectly flat surface. It does do well on as a cross over DA but on gel coat where you need a little more down pressure the rotation of the pad will stop.

Hobbiest with no money concerns I would go for the Rupes. For more "production" power I would go for the Flex. I have both and I use them interchangeably depending on what I need.

What about the size of the pads (or lack of options) for the Rupes? The car I detail most is a Mini Cooper S. The hood is very curvy, and I feel like smaller pads might be easier. It doesn't seem like there are many pad options out there for the Rupes if you have to use their own system. Can you use LC pads on the Rupes?

Mike Phillips
09-02-2014, 02:17 PM
If paint is thin... like on a raised body line where other detailers have buffed and they were NOT careful... you can burn through simply by polishing by hand....

The rotary buffer is the most common culprit for burning through paint and it's normally on edges, corners and raised body lines.

You can burn through with any tool including a pad attached to a drill, it just depends on all the usual suspect factors like,

Type of pad
Thin paint to start with
Type of compound or polish
Downward pressure
Time

:)

fotomatt1
09-02-2014, 02:26 PM
If paint is thin... like on a raised body line where other detailers have buffed and they were NOT careful... you can burn through simply by polishing by hand....

The rotary buffer is the most common culprit for burning through paint and it's normally on edges, corners and raised body lines.

You can burn through with any tool including a pad attached to a drill, it just depends on all the usual suspect factors like,

Type of pad
Thin paint to start with
Type of compound or polish
Downward pressure
Time

:)

If you had to choose a machine for a hobbyist, would it be the Rupes 15, 21 or the Flex 3401?

VISITOR
09-02-2014, 02:33 PM
If you had to choose a machine for a hobbyist, would it be the Rupes 15, 21 or the Flex 3401?

if you're a enthusiast then the GG6 with a variety of different backing plate and pads will work just fine. if you want to step it up and buy a DA with more power but can also be fitted with different backing plate and pads also then get the flex 3401 which has forced rotation...