PDA

View Full Version : More aggressive cutting needed, next step?

RedMed
09-02-2014, 07:44 AM
Hey all, I used griot's garage one step sealant on a orange gg pad last weekend. While it did reduce swirls a lot on my 2011 WRX, it didn't quite get them all. My question is what should be my next step? A more aggressive pad or a more aggressive wax/abrasive?

Mike Phillips
09-02-2014, 07:46 AM
I'd get a dedicated polish or compound instead of trying to do the job with a cleaner/sealant. (cleaner/wax)

When the word dedicated is used to describe a paint care product it means the product is for most part designed and formulated to do a very specific task, like a polish is for removing swirls... not removing swirls and leaving behind a coat of protection.

:)

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
09-02-2014, 08:00 AM
As Mike said, a dedicated polish will be needed to remove the swirling seen in your paint.

A good polish on a white pad would be a good starting point to see if that removes the swirls. If not you can step it up from there. After that seal it with a quality Sealant.

RedMed
09-02-2014, 09:17 AM
I'd get a dedicated polish or compound instead of trying to do the job with a cleaner/sealant. (cleaner/wax)

When the word dedicated is used to describe a paint care product it means the product is for most part designed and formulated to do a very specific task, like a polish is for removing swirls... not removing swirls and leaving behind a coat of protection.

:)

Alright, I have megs fine cut cleaner handy. Would that do the job?

Dhunckyn
09-02-2014, 10:26 AM
I've used Wolfgang Uber compound 3.0 on an orange pad with great results.

allenk4
09-02-2014, 10:59 AM
Alright, I have megs fine cut cleaner handy. Would that do the job?

Depends on the defects you are trying to correct

Post some pictures and you will get more accurate suggestions

RedMed
09-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Depends on the defects you are trying to correct

Post some pictures and you will get more accurate suggestions

Will do, as soon as I can.

Paul A.
09-02-2014, 04:51 PM
If i understand your original question it seems you're asking...

After seeing a particular pad/product combo remove some of the defects, what should you up next to get the remaining results i.e. should you up the pad and use the same product or up the product and use the same pad? That's been a common question and i've done both sometimes and done neither other times.

If i am doing a test panel and i see there is very little affect i grab a tougher cut product but try it on the same pad...maybe white pad. Basically i usually change my cut product first and then change to a more aggressive pad last. If my test panel yields about a 60-70% improvement i just do it again with the same combo.

JHL88
09-02-2014, 04:54 PM
I've used Wolfgang Uber compound 3.0 on an orange pad with great results.

+1

Im in love with this compound. Yea, I said it.

DogRescuer
09-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Menz400 any day.

RedMed
09-03-2014, 06:38 AM
If i understand your original question it seems you're asking...

After seeing a particular pad/product combo remove some of the defects, what should you up next to get the remaining results i.e. should you up the pad and use the same product or up the product and use the same pad? That's been a common question and i've done both sometimes and done neither other times.

If i am doing a test panel and i see there is very little affect i grab a tougher cut product but try it on the same pad...maybe white pad. Basically i usually change my cut product first and then change to a more aggressive pad last. If my test panel yields about a 60-70% improvement i just do it again with the same combo.
Thanks! That's the answer I was looking for

Paul A.
09-03-2014, 07:46 AM
And now thinking more about it i do a lot of different things but usually "feel" what i should try next. That's easy to say here but it depends on what i'm working on specifically. There have been times i just go from a white pad to an orange pad with the same product, maybe exert a little more pressure on the machine and other times i stick with the same pad and try a slightly more aggressive product and...bam...there's what will work. After doing literally hundreds of test sections you kinda get a feel for what might work in those conditions but it's always a guess for the least aggressive method first and go up from there.

One of the common themes with correction is either time or impatience. Some folks want those swirls GONE and FAST! Don't be hasty and find a technique that removes just enough paint to level it...not more than you need to. You'll find over time how to maybe tweak whatever you're correcting. And maybe it's just machine speed! (not arm speed, i mean cranking the dial up).

I find test panels some of the most rewarding practices in the whole game. Finding what might work best for THAT paint. And that's just the heavier correction test. Dessert for me in that meal is finding the perfect finish step! :dblthumb2: