PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a HF DA

Pages : [1] 2 3

BillyBob444
09-01-2014, 06:37 PM
Ok, so apon further investigation I returned my $250 7424xp kit I purchased from Auto Geek.

I spent two hours in Harbor freight trying to figure out which backing plate to get.

Should I get a 5" backing plate and use 6" pads or just keep the 6'' backing plate and use 7'' pads?

I have no problem buying a backing plate but I ran into another problem. HF had backing plates and they were all 5'8 threads when I need 5'16 thread..

Where can I buy another backing plate? I also want a 3 inch backing plate for when I do small areas.

Can someone point in the right direction to where I should buy the pads and backing plates and also what kind of pad I should get.. Waffle shape or just flat.

Then I need to get into compounds... so many options.. Which is the best for the money.. Where I can buy the cheapest.

Can someone point me in the right direction without blowing the bank. Thanks so much.

The Guz
09-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Just buy a lake country backing plate. You should have just kept the PC.

DaveT435
09-01-2014, 06:49 PM
5 inch plate 5.5 pads. 3.5 or 4 inch pads for the 3 inch BP. I use Lake country pads. As far as compounds, polishes, etc. what kin dog car/cars?

Kamakaz1961
09-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Just buy a lake country backing plate. You should have just kept the PC.

:iagree:+1 You will get what you paid for....headaches...the PC7424 XP is superior in quality.

PeterPistol
09-01-2014, 07:35 PM
I'd check at the junkyard!!!!

Andy B. Cool
09-01-2014, 07:38 PM
The porter cable is an under powered piece of junk. You probably won't have any issues withe the hf polisher I have heard nothing but good stuff about them.

Andy B. Cool
09-01-2014, 07:42 PM
Oh and to answer your question so the 5 and 3 inch backing plates

swanicyouth
09-01-2014, 07:44 PM
The porter cable is an under powered piece of junk. You probably won't have any issues withe the hf polisher I have heard nothing but good stuff about them.

Piece of junk? Really? Maybe you should tell that to like the zillion and one people who have perfected their paint with it. The PC is one of the oldest and most reliable detailing tools around that still is relevant .

It may not be the most powerful DA on the market - but it's no "piece of junk". It's quite powerful and capable... The caveat is the user has to know what he or she is doing - like everything else... It's just easier to say "it's a piece of junk" than to learn how to use it to it's maximum potential.

Quickstrike32
09-01-2014, 07:52 PM
Debating between the PC and HF myself. Back on topic...pick up a 5 inch backing plate and some 5.5 pads. Mike recommends the Lake country flat pads for beginners.

PeterPistol
09-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Take it easy!!! Just don't think it's fair to talk about other competitors on this forum!!!! Bought a few things from HF and they went right into the trash!!!!

BrandonS
09-01-2014, 08:10 PM

The HF is described as a rebadged PC. Don't answer unless you are certain you know what you are talking about.. In your case don't answer even if you think you know what you are talking about.

VISITOR
09-01-2014, 08:17 PM
:iagree:+1 You will get what you paid for....headaches...the PC7424 XP is superior in quality.

many have used the HF DA and have put countless hours & days on it and i haven't heard many if at all any complaints about it. garry dean has used it (according to his video) for 11 months straight, day in and day out with no problems and he does more cars in that time then we will ever see in a lifetime (let's not forget this is his sole main profession). also, joe from superior shine (which he mentioned in a post a while back, quote below) also has used it hard for many months without any problems as well. it's every bit as good as the PC if not better. porter cable should pay attention to discussion forums (and or get input from skilled detailers) and try to improve on that machine in which quite a few companies have improved upon and have made it better. it's a competitive world out there...

"This machine rocks. I have used it hard for about two months. I have grossed a good $7500 (easy) with this $49 DA. If it went out tomorrow I'd trade it in for another and keep on going. The more expensive ones say "made in china" just like the HF does so....

I don't need it and I am not cheap. I like polishing. I collect polishers (DA and rotary) I thought it fun to play with the HF machine and I like it. It is unlike the HF rotary's that are junk. A friend recently just purchased 12 HF DAs for his business."

BillyBob444
09-01-2014, 08:28 PM
So anyways besides my thread getting hijacked...
I found on eBay $70 for 6 pads and a backing plate.
Which pads should I get?
I have a 2008 350z, and I will also be working on my dads 2014 Nissan Maxima soon.
Should I get pad cleaner and conditioner? So many questionss...

VISITOR
09-01-2014, 08:32 PM
So anyways besides my thread getting hijacked...
I found on eBay $70 for 6 pads and a backing plate.
Which pads should I get?
I have a 2008 350z, and I will also be working on my dads 2014 Nissan Maxima soon.
Should I get pad cleaner and conditioner? So many questionss...

here's a link if you want to buy everything here at AG...

lake country 5 inch DA backing plate (http://www.autogeek.net/lc43125.html)

lake country 3 Inch DA backing plate (http://www.autogeek.net/3inch-dual-action-backing-plate.html)

lake country 3.5" DA backing plate (http://www.autogeek.net/lc-43085da.html)

Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-pad-kit.html)

it would be a good idea to pick up some 3"-4" DA pads (choose flat pads for ALL your pads) as well...

BillyBob444
09-01-2014, 08:50 PM
I'm contemplating on which color pads I should get.. I don't know if I will be doing alot of cutting.. Should I get One Yellow Two Orange One White One Black?