PDA

View Full Version : Black Label Coating & Claying?

rmo
09-01-2014, 10:12 AM
I'm wondering if someone can enlighten me on how coatings and clay interact. It's been 6 month since I coated my car with Black Label. I've notice a bit of embedded debris on the roof that I'd like to remove with clay. Will the clay also pull up the coating (necessitating reapplication) or should the coating remain intact?

Tato
09-01-2014, 10:17 AM
Hi,

From my experience, coating will not be too much negatively affected by claying (cannot measure the extent, sorry). On the other hand, you'll get benefits from your process because the coating will behave better after a cleansing.

That said, you may clay your car, but I recommend you to follow with a finishing pad and a cleansing polish (BL cleansing polish) which is non-abrasive, but will get rid of clay marring after your process.

In the end, I'd apply the coating booster, or even another coat of the black label (it's fast, easy and intuitive to do).

Another option after claying may be a very light finishing polish, but in this case the coating can be more affected.

Pros of this process: your finish will look totally restored after claying and a finishing polish. This is fast to achieve.

Cons: Coating durability may be affected more if you polish it.

Solution: I'd follow with a new application of black label right after, just spray and wipe on / off) this time, no need to go with an applicator and lengthy application.

Please, do not read my words as the 'truth' or the only way to do things, I've put some ideas to help you deciding what will work best for you.

Kind Regards.

cleanmycorolla
09-01-2014, 11:12 AM
You can clay the coating, and be fine!