PDA

View Full Version : Paint Thickness Guages, How Important Are They?

Pages : [1] 2

expdetailing
08-31-2014, 10:46 PM
My title seems like a dumb question untill we boil down the need for a paint guage for just the topic of clear coat. As I understand, these meter tell you how thick all layers are combined. If we can't separate the individual layers, how do we really know how thick the clear is?
I would like someone to educate me that I sould have a guage (exluding other reasoning i.e. single stage) when I am only concerned about clear. I feel as if there has to a valid reason, but can not come-up with one of my own.
Thank you to anyone who writes a response.

FUNX650
08-31-2014, 10:55 PM
There are EPTGs that will measure the three individual film-layers of a BC/CC paint system---the primer, BC, and CC----with individual readings for each film-layer.

They are not inexpensive, to say the least; but can be rented.

Bob

tdekany
08-31-2014, 10:56 PM
It is well known that STIs have very thin paint. So recently I had an owner come by so I can measure the paint as he wanted the trashed paint on the car to bring back to beautiful. Some panels measured low 60s. No need to know how much of that is clear. You simply turn that customer away. At least that is what I did and suggested to vinyl wrap the car. If you are a pro detailer, it is as important as a clay bar.

808_detail_nut
09-01-2014, 03:23 AM
What are some you use? This will for sure be my next purchase. I been putting it off for a while and I don't want it to bite me in the a**.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

tdekany
09-01-2014, 05:14 PM
There are EPTGs that will measure the three individual film-layers of a BC/CC paint system---the primer, BC, and CC----with individual readings for each film-layer.

Bob

Those are for plastic. Not metal

GenesisCoupe
09-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Typically, anything over 3.3 MILS I will do a one-step polish without any problems.

4-6mils is very healthy to do a compound and polish.

TopThatDetail
09-01-2014, 06:01 PM
A paint gauge is a must if your planning on doing any wet sanding its also nice to have so you can check to see if a car has been repainted . As stated above if you get some thin paint and you get to aggressive that $250+ for a paint gauge wouldn't of been so bad if your Taking a car to a body shop

GenesisCoupe
09-01-2014, 06:50 PM
A paint gauge is a must if your planning on doing any wet sanding its also nice to have so you can check to see if a car has been repainted . As stated above if you get some thin paint and you get to aggressive that $250+ for a paint gauge wouldn't of been so bad if your Taking a car to a body shop

^^ I've helped many people check whether their intended used car purchase has been previously repainted. Many dealers hate me LOL

GenesisCoupe
09-01-2014, 06:59 PM
What are some you use? This will for sure be my next purchase. I been putting it off for a while and I don't want it to bite me in the a**.

I bought mine from Ebay for arounfd $160 and it works like a charm. I compared it to a $500 one and the difference in Mils was very minimal. Worth it to me!

Evan.J
09-01-2014, 07:13 PM
Why Paint Thickness Readings are Important (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/76453-why-paint-thickness-readings-important.html)Here is a a little write up I did on this topic.

These are useful for more than just sanding. It helps you figure out more of the history on the car and what has been done in the past.

Grifffx4
09-01-2014, 07:27 PM

Bob

Where do you rent a gauge?

Grifffx4
09-01-2014, 07:28 PM
I bought mine from Ebay for arounfd $160 and it works like a charm. I compared it to a $500 one and the difference in Mils was very minimal. Worth it to me!

What was the brand/model?

GenesisCoupe
09-01-2014, 08:01 PM
What was the brand/model?

This;

New CM8801FN Digital Coating Thickness Gauge Paint Meter Tester 0 1250UM 0 50mil | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CM8801FN-Digital-Coating-Thickness-Gauge-Paint-Meter-Tester-0-1250um-0-50mil-/321315938774?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4acfec21d6)

CM8801FN-Digital-Coating-Thickness-Gauge-Paint-Meter-Tester

oldmodman
09-02-2014, 02:17 AM
Get one.

It has saved me from making a huge mistake that in one case would have ended with me being sued for a repaint. I measured the lady's paint on her Jag and told her it was too thin to be able to compound out several scratches she was worried about. She took it to somebody else and they did use a heavy compound and a rotary. Went through the clear, the color, and down into the primer. And she did sue them.

In another case a car was brought to me to remove another scratch. But the meter told me that the panel it was on had been repainted (badly) and the painter had used a combo of clear and color in a one shot paint process. It was five times as thick as the paint on the opposite fender. Scratch came out easily with all that paint to work with.

808_detail_nut
09-02-2014, 04:31 AM
Found this for 40 bucks, worth it? If it is I'm gonna order it.

http://www.plusbuyer.com/coating-thickness-gauge-lcd-display-fnf-type-p-5913.html