PDA

View Full Version : New truck, winter coming...

Pages : [1] 2

jaggedx
08-31-2014, 07:53 PM
Newby here, picking up my new truck on Tuesday (it was built August 5th) so the paint is just a few weeks old.

Need advice on protecting the finish on my new Tacoma. I live in Wisconsin where the harmful effects of road chemicals, freezing temps for months and very little opportunity to wash my car is the rule.

Can someone point me to a thread that details new car paint sealing?

I like what I've read about Wolfgang's 3.0 sealant and was about to order it, but thought I'd ask around first.

Many thanks to anyone that can point me in the right direction.

http://i.imgur.com/4JjxDLC.jpg

Chevota Guy
08-31-2014, 08:02 PM
Just noticed this is your first post.....Welcome to AGO! Being from CA, I can't offer advice for the Wicsonsin winters, as I can't imagine anything holding up in your winters as I used to visit Seagate in Jan/Feb. .........However I just wanted to say Nice Truck!!

I'm sure some here can be more helpful :xyxthumbs:

Docpeanut
08-31-2014, 08:02 PM
Congrats on the truck, beautiful color choice. My vote is coating, I'm a big fan of cquartz uk but there's lots of coating options available

jaggedx
08-31-2014, 08:04 PM
Would it be a good idea to start by claying it?

Chevota Guy
08-31-2014, 08:07 PM
Would it be a good idea to start by claying it?

Do the Baggie test first. Even though new, if there is any contamination on the paint, you'll want to get rid of that for proper coating adhesion.

Quickstrike32
08-31-2014, 08:11 PM
Welcome to AG. I'm so jealous of your truck...it's something I've always wanted. Beautiful color!

swanicyouth
08-31-2014, 08:20 PM
Thats a nice truck!

It probably needs a decon (clay / IronX) before you seal it. Be careful claying if your not going to polish it - as clay can scratch paint if you use the wrong kind or the paint is soft - and Japanese car paint can be soft. I would choose your clay wisely and skip "clay alternatives" (assuming you don't plan on polishing).

WG sealant is very good and easy to use. No problems there. There are some newer sealant type products that are just as easy to use and should last longer if you are interested: Pinnacle Black Label Sealant & Sonus Ion Coating.

allenk4
08-31-2014, 08:29 PM
On September 4th at midnight apply Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

Ryan509
08-31-2014, 09:31 PM
I work at a toyota dealer. I find the paint scratches VERY easily on the new vehicles. Hell it even comes scratched right off the truck alot. So make sure you check it GOOD.

As for a sealant. Menzerna Powerlock is amazing stuff. Recently did an 08 tundra and it looks amazing

Mizzoutiger
08-31-2014, 10:38 PM
I lived in ND and Menzerna Powerlock worked like a champ there and everywhere I've been.
Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant, Menzerna auto sealant, car sealant, paint sealant protectant (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-power-lock-sealant.html)

PA DETAILER
09-01-2014, 06:27 AM
Nice truck. PA winters suck also. I would coat it and be done. Now is the time since it's NEW. And all coatings are on sale! I did my first coating this week on mine. I used the DP PAINT COAT. One of the most user friendly out of the bunch.

Car Paint, Glass & Trim Coatings, permanent paint coatings, trim coatings, car glass coating (http://www.autogeek.net/car-paint-glass-and-trim-coatings.html)

And i would also coat/seal all the wheels and glass and trim. You can use a paint coating on the wheels. I use the DP GLASS COAT for the glass. It will take you thru a winter without a problem. I seal all my plastic trim along with the headlamps and taillamps with WOLFGANG TRIM SEALER.

Enjoy the new truck!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/84292-2012-xterra-dp-paint-coat.html

BrandonS
09-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Congratulations on the new truck. I like the color. I am not sold on the coatings yet and they are something you should probably be trained on. On new cars usually you can clay polish then seal. It depends on what it looks like. I would not clay unless you are going to polish after. I think you will be happy with the wolfgang sealant. It goes on and off easy and looks great. For polishes I prefer menzerna products but megs 205 is a good polish and you can buy it anywhere. If you are only doing your own truck buy a small bottle as it lasts a while. You can learn a lot from this forum just spend a day searching and reading.

RevitalizeAutoSpa
09-01-2014, 09:03 AM
As a Minnesotan, I feel your pain on winters. I would definitely advise a coating (silica) over a sealant (synthetic similar to wax). It'll help you avoid a lot of the corrosion we deal with in the northern Midwest. Also not a bad idea to jack the truck up\put it on ramps and blast the undercarriage with some Hydr02.

tpr1634
09-01-2014, 10:18 AM
Had mine for 8000 miles, tsb for drive line vibration never fixed the problem. I use collinite 845 year round, nice truck best wishes.

Just02896
09-01-2014, 10:30 AM
Decon, light polish, CQUK! Unless you enjoy applying new waxes and sealants throughout the year. In that case go with either Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant, Sonax Netshield, or Menzerna power lock.