PDA

View Full Version : Does it have to be Glass polish or.....

RandyD
08-31-2014, 09:23 AM
Can I use a regular polish? I need to polish my windshield. There are a number specs on that wont come off with glass cleaner or Clay. Can I use Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer (http://www.autogeek.net/wg2000.html)as opposed to a dedicated glass polish such as Griot's glass polish. I don't believe Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer has any cut and is just chemicals. Does a dedicated glass polish have cut?
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/Img/trans_1x1.gif

goldenlight
08-31-2014, 09:26 AM
a product similar to Ultimate Compound will work just find for removing water spots.

I never tried a glass polish..

RevitalizeAutoSpa
08-31-2014, 09:29 AM
If the spots are etched in or from acid rain, a regular compound typically won't work. I've tried M105 on Meguiar's X-tra Cutting Discs to no avail. Serious glass polishing needs cerium. I just got in some CeriGlass and CarPro pads, anxious to see how it helps clean up the windshield on my 150,000 mile daily drivers.

HD.Detailing
08-31-2014, 10:18 AM
you can try.. i've had some luck with 105, use what you have and see, then buy specific polish/pads

I've never used a specific glass polish and pad, I have been considering picking some up and trying as many have had great success.

RandyD
08-31-2014, 11:32 AM
Thanks. i will try the wolfgang polish first. What kind of pad should I use. Red, Finishing, Orange foam?

HD.Detailing
08-31-2014, 11:38 AM
try the orange cutting

allenk4
08-31-2014, 12:00 PM
Can you describe these "specks"?

Are they above the surface of the glass or are they in the glass like a chip or scratch?

Did you try claying the glass?

TurboToys
08-31-2014, 12:54 PM
^ he said he used clay already.

last time i used megs heavy cut with a rotary and red pad and was able to get a ton of slickness back

allenk4
08-31-2014, 02:23 PM
Can I use a regular polish? I need to polish my windshield. There are a number specs on that wont come off with glass cleaner or Clay. Can I use Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer (http://www.autogeek.net/wg2000.html)as opposed to a dedicated glass polish such as Griot's glass polish. I don't believe Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer has any cut and is just chemicals. Does a dedicated glass polish have cut?
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/Img/trans_1x1.gif

Just re-read and saw that you have already tried clay, which might mean the "specks" are below surface. Thanks, toys

Just to make sure they are not on the surface if the glass, you can carefully use a razor blade with lubrication. There is a good video of the process on Youtube AMMONYC Channel

If they are below surface, removal will be difficult

Glass specific polishes have aggressive cut and paired with the rayon glass pads, they have tremendous cut compared to compounds designed for paint

Polishing glass is not to be taken lightly. You can inflict substantial damage if not done properly. Do your Test Spot on the bottom right corner of the windshield, in case it does not go well

RandyD
08-31-2014, 03:59 PM
Thanks for your help!

808_detail_nut
09-01-2014, 03:34 AM
I say just get some ceriglass and some carpro rayon pads. I'm so happy I bought it and use it now. Here's one I did a little while ago with my flex 3403 and the 3 inch rayon pads.

Before, see the small scratches all over. Person tried to do their own glass polishing to remove waterspots and this is what happened.

After

I say if your going to do glass polishing this is the way to go.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

allenk4
09-01-2014, 11:20 AM
Just re-read and saw that you have already tried clay, which might mean the "specks" are below surface. Thanks, toys

Just to make sure they are not on the surface if the glass, you can carefully use a razor blade with lubrication. There is a good video of the process on Youtube AMMONYC Channel

If they are below surface, removal will be difficult

Glass specific polishes have aggressive cut and paired with the rayon glass pads, they have tremendous cut compared to compounds designed for paint

Polishing glass is not to be taken lightly. You can inflict substantial damage if not done properly. Do your Test Spot on the bottom right corner of the windshield, in case it does not go well

Randy,

Can you please give us a more detailed description of the defects?

Can you confirm that they are "in the glass" as opposed to "on the glass"?