PDA

View Full Version : Buffer Burn?

Pages : [1] 2

JD Specialized
08-31-2014, 09:09 AM
Hello all, my first post so forgive any forum naïveté !

I recently detailed an '02 Jag, as it was very clean and in the garage he only wants it waxed as it had what appears to be sap mainly on the hood.
I cleared off any dust using an aviation dry wash product (Wash Wax All) and then clayed all of the horizontal surfaces. I then used Zymol cleaner wax and finished up with Collonite Concours paste, hand applied and orbital buffed.

What looked like sap under closer scrutiny after cleaning looks more like very small bubbles in the clear coat, I believe it is just an inferior factory paint job - any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Now to the point, there was a spot on the rear fender about the size of a silver dollar where the clear had bubbled and lifted completely off of the paint. I hand applied Meguires Diamond cut by hand, removed it by hand, then hand finished with the Zymol. I then proceeded to buff with my orbital using a blue microfiber pad. After about a half minute of buffing the area turned blue. The jag is Bright Red and it's pretty obvious. Is this burn or just dye from the pad. Hopefully it's something simple as I don't want to buy a new paint job!

Thanks all for reading my long winded post!

FUNX650
08-31-2014, 09:55 AM
Was the owner already aware of the silver dollar size spot of Clearcoat that was bubbled and completely lifted off?

This condition of this spot, as you have described, is a sure sign that a respray of that area/panel was warranted to begin with.

I'm curious to what product
you used on the microfiber pad...(you didn't mention any).

Bob

JD Specialized
08-31-2014, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the reply Bob, I actually hand applied Meguires Diamond cut, wiped it off with a microfiber towel, then did the same thing with Zymol cleaner/wax, then finally buffed the entire area with an orbital.

Yes he was aware of the clear coat defect in that area. I just can't believe an orbital would/could burn the paint, and if it did wouldn't it be more yellowish in color.
A bad respray was my initial prognosis as well, but I knew I could get some expert feedback on this forum.
Thanks,
Jim

allenk4
08-31-2014, 03:01 PM
Are you talking about a two-handled "buffer" with a microfiber "bonnet"?

Can you post a picture of your "orbital"?

JD Specialized
09-01-2014, 07:40 AM
Two handled 2800 orbit per minute 10" bonnet. Craftsman model 10723

allenk4
09-01-2014, 11:07 AM
I guess I don't understand your process:

"hand applied Meguires Diamond cut, wiped it off with a microfiber towel, then did the same thing with Zymol cleaner/wax, then finally buffed the entire area with an orbital."

Are you buffing off the wax with the "orbital" wearing a microfiber bonnet? Why are you using the machine for this step?

IMO, this type of machine is only decent for spreading wax

Using microfiber bonnets for anything is not a good solution. I believe it will inevitably mar the paint. I suggest using a folded microfiber towel

cleanmycorolla
09-01-2014, 11:10 AM

I'm surprised you're getting any correction at all. You need a DA. You're not correcting much with that machine.

allenk4
09-01-2014, 11:35 AM
I'm surprised you're getting any correction at all. You need a DA. You're not correcting much with that machine.

He was doing the correction step by hand and using the two-hander for wax removal

cleanmycorolla
09-01-2014, 06:27 PM
He was doing the correction step by hand and using the two-hander for wax removal

Ah! Thanks! Well, point being that machine is useless. :dblthumb2:

DaveT435
09-01-2014, 06:38 PM
A pic would be helpful. I don't think there is any way you burned the paint with what your using. If the customer was aware of the cc problem you certainly don't owe him a paint job. Blue makes no sense...if it were dye I don't think it would only be on this one spot.

Mike Phillips
09-02-2014, 07:14 AM
I then proceeded to buff with my orbital using a blue microfiber pad.

After about a half minute of buffing the area turned blue.

The jag is Bright Red and it's pretty obvious.

So you're saying the basecoat/clearcoat red paint job turned blue?

I don't think there could be enough blue dye in a microfiber bonnet that would come off of and out of the microfiber material to turn clearcoat paint, (laying over the red basecoat paint), blue.

Going to need a picture for this one....

:Picture:

allenk4
09-02-2014, 11:12 AM
What color are Meguires Diamond cut & Zymol cleaner/wax?

Any possibility it is residue from one of these products?

Stretch Guess

Mike Phillips
09-02-2014, 11:20 AM
What color are Meguires Diamond cut & Zymol cleaner/wax?

Any possibility it is residue from one of these products?

Stretch Guess

The Zymol cleaner/wax, at least the Zurtle product is blue. That could be the culprit.

:dunno:

Crispy
03-28-2015, 02:56 PM
You can't buff base coat. Once the clear has been removed no amount of buffing will work. Base coat by design is only to provide even colour coverage and a good grip for the Clear. Only option is repaint base and then clear.

ryandamartini
03-28-2015, 03:02 PM

It is highly unlikely you went through the paint with this model. I would spray with some diluted isopropyl alcohol and gently buff off what I believe could be residue.