PDA

View Full Version : Who's planning to use Optimum Gloss-Coat?

Pages : [1] 2 3

The Critic
08-31-2014, 03:23 AM
Drama aside, who's planning to try Optimum Gloss-Coat?

I have a car scheduled for a few weeks from now, but I would be very interested in hearing more reviews and feedback before then.

From what I have read so far, its gloss is outstanding (very similar to CQuartz UK) but it is much easier to apply and the towels are re-usable.

bigbadbp7
08-31-2014, 05:07 AM
Ill probably end up checking it out however, my only thing I did not like about OC 2.0 is waiting for it to flash/high spots. With Cquartz you lay it on and you wipe it off, DONE.

But I am curious to see what people say about the Gloss Coat.

The Critic
08-31-2014, 05:12 AM
Ill probably end up checking it out however, my only thing I did not like about OC 2.0 is waiting for it to flash/high spots. With Cquartz you lay it on and you wipe it off, DONE.

But I am curious to see what people say about the Gloss Coat.

The high spot issue with 2.0 was something that you could greatly minimize if you simply adjusted the application method.

If you use the CarPro Block with CarPro's suede applicator, several back/forth and up/down passes on your work area will even out the coating so well that in warm temperatures, you can apply 2.0 with almost no high spots.

I'm not sure what you mean by CQuartz being an apply and walk away type product. At least with CQuartz UK, you have to apply it in very small areas and wipe off immediately or else you'll get streaking.

cleanmycorolla
08-31-2014, 09:20 AM
well i have it on my shelf, in my hand and hopefully within 14 days I'll have so results to share....just gotta prep and find time

FUNX650
08-31-2014, 09:30 AM
I wonder what the total cure time of Gloss-Coat
is going to be.
(With OC 2.0 it was anywhere between 30-90 days.)

Surely that will have some bearing on the when, where, and how of the application?

Bob

Setec Astronomy
08-31-2014, 09:48 AM
I wonder what the total cure time of Gloss-Coat
is going to be. (With OC 2.0 it was anywhere between 30-90 days.) Surely that will have some bearing on the when, where, and how of the application?

Not really, although there was some variation in the answers, Chris Thomas stated at least once that you could get it wet after an hour and wash it after 24 hours, also that you should wait a week before cleaning with APC etc. So in comparison to some sealants that you're supposed to keep dry for 12 hours, no big deal.

HD.Detailing
08-31-2014, 09:52 AM
If I get it free, yes. There are just as good if not better coatings that last 2 years that are higher on my list.

Now if after 2 years testing shows the coating to have glassy like gloss, easier to apply, and happens to last longer than the current 2 year coatings, i may re-think my decision.

I'll be interested to see Corolla's test and follow the results for the years to come.

builthatch
08-31-2014, 09:56 AM
If I get it free, yes. There are just as good if not better coatings that last 2 years that are higher on my list.

how do you know? it's a brand new product, lol

i have two tubes en route. we'll see. it seems like a promising proposition to me since 2.0 was f'n awesome and this is improved in almost every manner, according to OPT.

if it's similar to Opti-Seal in application...which is the most brainless sealant ever to apply, then i think it's going to be a hit.

i just hope people don't think it's a forcefield, indestructible or scratch-proof like they (for some reason) apparently thought OCP was and at times, 2.0 too. weird.

HD.Detailing
08-31-2014, 10:03 AM
how do you know? it's a brand new product, lol

i have two tubes en route. we'll see. it seems like a promising proposition to me since 2.0 was f'n awesome and this is improved in almost every manner, according to OPT.

if it's similar to Opti-Seal in application...which is the most brainless sealant ever to apply, then i think it's going to be a hit.

i just hope people don't think it's a forcefield, indestructible or scratch-proof like they (for some reason) apparently thought OCP was and at times, 2.0 too. weird.

did you read the rest of my post? LOL

Good for you for trying it.. let's see how it lasts.

Do a review start a thread and in 2 years if the gloss is still glassy and still working I may reconsider.

FUNX650
08-31-2014, 10:32 AM

You keep saying this about the ease of application of Gloss-Coat: should/will be as brainless as Opti-Seal (vs. what it was with OCP/OC 2.0).

If true, then IMO there needs to be some updating to sites saying it's application is very similar (even the same) to OCP/OC 2.0.

TO WIT:

From: Optimum Paint Coating (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html)

1. Polish paint with Optimum Polish II or Optimum Hyper Polish to remove any defects.
2. Clean surface with 15% IPA solution to remove all polishing oils, waxes, and silicones.
3. Prime the applicator by making an X pattern across the pad. Only a few drops will be needed for each subsequent panel.
4. Wipe Optimum Gloss-Coat onto a single panel at a time in a thin layer using two directions, in a circular or front to back direction.
5. Within 5 minutes, inspect the panel with adequate lighting looking for any thick areas that have not flashed away to clear.
6. Use foam applicator or paint safe microfiber to even out any areas where you see streaks. This step is key, as any spots not leveled will have to be polished if allowed to cure. Panels will feel a bit tacky and will be self-leveling during cure time, so avoid any unnecessary touching, wiping, or contact to produce the best results.
7. Repeat steps 1-6 for each panel where application is desired.

It doesn't appear that Gloss-Coat has been overly hyped as was the other Optimum Coatings were at the onset of their debuts.

I imagine there is enough evidence to the contrary now available to dissuade such marketing attempts.

Bob

swanicyouth
08-31-2014, 10:40 AM
I probably won't use this. The thing for me is, CQ has been around so long and has such a proven track record of working well and lasting long. It's also much less money and comes WITH an applicator that is proven to work well. Even the new Optimum Gloss Coat comes with the same yellow applicator that sucks up way too much product. Is anyone from there listening????

CQ also has a prep type product (Easer & IronX), a maintenance type product (Reload), and even a soap (Reset). While I probably wouldn't be too interested in the soap - the other products are essential and useful. I don't see Optimum offering similar products.

I may be in the market for a coating in the next 2 months, depending how Synergy holds up. CQ seems to be the market leader for me. Optimum says they d/c'ed OC 2.0 because there was "confusion" with OC Pro.

There was no confusion with me. They were 2 different coatings: one pro / one not - now changed to: ... 2 different coatings: one pro/one not. Same issue / same "confusion". There was no confusion with anyone. They offered one pro coating & one enthusiast coating - now same thing. If it was real "confusion" - they would have just changed the name of OC 2.0 to distinguish it from OC Pro more.

I don't know if we will ever know the real reason 2.0 was d/c'ed. But, I wouldn't be surprised if we see it back on the market again - possibly with a different name. So far, seeing this from an outsider -'the whole thing seems like a bit of a misstep. To me, Opti-whatever-it's-now-called has out priced itself as well.

These are the reasons I'm probably not interested.

builthatch
08-31-2014, 04:39 PM
i think Gloss-Coat was made to maximize the tactile and aesthetic features that people value in a coating, vs. placing SO much weight in the actual protection offered.

what i'm saying is...OPT could say that a coating does whatever and it actually does that the best as per internal testing (hypothetically), but because it isn't appearing to do as much as less permanent, less protective competitive coatings, the value is perceived as less. people start to question "is it there?", etc.

so (possibly) that's why they created Gloss-Coat, taking the benefits of 2.0 but adding or enhancing several other features that are so highly valued.

- same protection as 2.0
- greater ease of installation
- greater slickness
- greater gloss
- can be topped
- can be layered

adding something on top of a coating. it's dumb, really...but people like that for a number of reasons. welp, with Gloss-Coat, it's being advertised as totally compatible with that if you so choose.

i would guess it wasn't designed as the product to further separate the consumer and pro versions, but more as an evolution of 2.0. it just so happens that by changing the name, it potentially accomplishes that task too.

some companies rely on marketing because they don't create products. some companies create products and don't rely on marketing. the wild card is what kind of customer is out there. none of that is wrong or better, it's just different strokes.

Docpeanut
08-31-2014, 08:08 PM
I'm gonna throw it on my pops Hyundai and compare it to cquk

swanicyouth
08-31-2014, 08:15 PM
^ it doesn't seem to offer anything G-Teq or CQ UK doesn't - except cost significantly more. That's my main issue with it. This may be the first LSP in history that was updated to a version with less claimed durability. If it came out and was like $50 for 30cc - it may be worth trying.

The reason I like OC 2.0 so much was that it was permanent, and you could coat stuff like wheels and truck roofs with it once & done. It was a unique niche product - nobody else offered that.

Now Gloss Coat is just lost in another sea of glass coatings with a significantly higher price and no proven track record.

All my opinion, of course.

allenk4
08-31-2014, 08:40 PM
"so (possibly) that's why they created Gloss-Coat, taking the benefits of 2.0 but adding or enhancing several other features that are so highly valued.

- same protection as 2.0
- greater ease of installation
- greater slickness
- greater gloss
- can be topped
- can be layered

I have not seen that the same protection level is being advertised.

If so, I wonder why the promised longevity is significantly reduced?

Not sure why they are saying GC is good to be topped. You could top OC if you wanted to

As I understand it, there were lots of people applying more than one coat of OC within the 1st hour. I thought I read that OPT had even stated as much