PDA

View Full Version : PC Vibration with 3" BP help!

Badlilstang
08-30-2014, 08:53 AM
So I wanted to turn my PC into a 3" setup since I use my Rupes for most of my big work. The PC vibrates badly with the 3" BP and I think it's because it needs the proper counter weight. Anyone find counter weights that work with the 3" BP? I have heard they offer a 5" and 6" counter weight but not a 3". I did find a guy on youtube who made his own for a DAS6 and was able to get the vibrations out. He was selling them at one point but now I cannot reach him (in the UK). What else can I do?

Chevota Guy
08-30-2014, 10:09 AM
You could pick up another counter weight and reduce the mass with a die grinder, Dremmel tool or grinder. Shave a little at a time until it smooths out more. Testing would need to be done with a pad, backing plate installed and the tool in contact with a surface. Holding the tool free spinning in air wouldn't work.

I have both 5" and 6" counterweights for mine since it was originally packaged as the sander version. I can't tell much difference with 5 or 6" pads, so I don't really know how much you might gain, but the counterweights are relatively inexpensive, so it might be worth a try.

Badlilstang
08-30-2014, 10:18 AM
Is the 5" counter weight lighter than the 6" counter weight or heavier? Removing weight wont be an issue.

Eandras
08-30-2014, 10:23 AM
I have one question. Do you have the washer on the backing plate. I have a 3" setup on my PC 7424 and have no vibration.

Ed

Badlilstang
08-30-2014, 11:51 AM
Yup washer on the back.. also.. tried the 3" on a griots and same issue.. I can feel a vibration difference just going from the 6" to the 5" Here again this is just free spinning in the air and not in use.

Chevota Guy
08-30-2014, 01:48 PM
Is the 5" counter weight lighter than the 6" counter weight or heavier? Removing weight wont be an issue.

The 5" counterweight is lighter than the 6". Here's a pic comparing the back sides.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=80912

Badlilstang
08-30-2014, 06:43 PM
Thank you!!! Exactly what I was looking for.. I think I can grind down a weight and make ti work as long as I keep it flat and balanced.

Badlilstang
08-30-2014, 06:45 PM
If I do find balance with a 3" I will provide what I did to get it. Maybe it will help someone else. I have a pair of 5" counter weights on the way I can play with.. Grinding on my 6" counter weight to see if I get balance with the 5" BP first.