PDA

View Full Version : Metal detailing

Pauly6401
08-07-2007, 09:09 PM
The last time the forum ate this post, so let's try again.

My wife has a 1981 Yahama Maxim 650 and it needs some TLC as far as the appearance goes. I can handle the paint and polished/chrome parts, but need some tips on how to restore the non-glossy metal areas which make up a significant portion of the bike. The picture below is not our bike, but a stock photo to give you an idea of what I am talking about. I would just like to restore the clean, smooth look of the areas on the engine and transmission that aren't plated.

Thanks!

Ridebyshootings
08-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Hello, is it aluminaum or cast parts? Will you be doing it bt hand or have a buffer of some sort? even a drill with small buffer wheels works well. Try some different items and let us know what works best for you! Andrew

ScottB
08-12-2007, 03:01 PM
A Mothers Powerball Mini and Mothers Billet polish is always a nice starting place. Eastmann makes several metal specific buffing wheels/heads that can be used with the numerous polishes in stock also.

Pauly6401
08-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Thanks guys, I have the normal sized Powerball and some of the metal polish for it, so I'll probably get the mini and give it a shot. I've just been procrastinating since unless I get up at 7 AM to do this, it's just too insanely hot to go outside and work on this during the day (especially since my garage faces west so I get about 3 hours of shade time before the whole front of the house turns into a furnace).

I'm sure I will be a lot more prolific once cool(er) weather sets in.