PDA

View Full Version : discolored Plastic body colored bumpers/panels

Hedgeley
08-29-2014, 04:31 PM
We have a 2013 Ford C-Max. Ugly car (!) but great interior and Terrific paint - White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat. Trouble is the front and back bumper/side panels are plastic (urethane?) supposedly the same color. I've noticed that the plastic is a slightly different color than the metal body. Kinda darker, perhaps yellower. So far I've learned that the plastic is clear coat like the body and can be waxed as such.
My question is can I fix the color difference? is this "oxidation" or perhaps just a different application of the paint, a slightly different batch of paint, or perhaps oxidation (car is 1 1/2 years old.
I've washed and waxed the body with Meguiar's White Coat Wax. Left the bumpers alone for now.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Hedge
(I spelled it color, but up here in Canada we spell it "colour" Go figure)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_05623.JPG
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_05633.JPG

allenk4
08-29-2014, 05:40 PM
Try the White Wax on an isolated test spot

It has cleaners an some abrasives that may brighten up that bumper

Are you working with a DA or by hand?

Hedgeley
08-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Try the White Wax on an isolated test spot

It has cleaners an some abrasives that may brighten up that bumper

Are you working with a DA or by hand?

Thx. I'm doing it by hand. For now. Would this be a valid excuse to the wife for a Power DA? :pc7424::pc7424::pc7424:

Jaretr1
08-29-2014, 06:18 PM
One of the reasons plastic bumper covers often do not perfectly match the body is because they are not painted at the same time in the factory. Bumpers and plastic paneling are painted separately from the body. Even though the color codes are the same, there are slight differences in shade and its more apparent on lighter colored cars or white cars. More than likely, there is no fix to this problem. Also, of all colors, white is the hardest color to match if you need a repaint.

Hedgeley
08-29-2014, 07:56 PM
One of the reasons plastic bumper covers often do not perfectly match the body is because they are not painted at the same time in the factory.

Ya, that was my first thought. I'll try the white wax and see if it makes any difference. Can't hurt. Don't tell the Wife. Good excuse for a DA polisher.
:buffing:

FUNX650
08-29-2014, 09:47 PM
Give it a few more years...
Then you'll really see some color differences between
the bumpers' paint, and that of the rest of the vehicle.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/image349.jpg

Bob

allenk4
08-29-2014, 10:00 PM
In suspect that is an SMC vs. Polycarbonate battle on one if your Vettes

Give it a few more years...
Then you'll really see some color differences between
the bumpers' paint, and that of the rest of the vehicle.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/image349.jpg

Bob

FUNX650
08-29-2014, 10:33 PM
In suspect that is an SMC vs. Polycarbonate battle on one if your Vettes
Nope. No polycarbonate in sight.
Maybe you've got PCs mixed-up with carbamates.

And then there's:
Thermosetting-plastics vs. Thermoplastic-plastics.

Bob

swanicyouth
08-30-2014, 06:20 AM
I'm really sorry to tell you this - but there is nothing you can do short of repainting the plastics.

Wax & polishing will make no difference. The color is UNDER the clear coat - that is why polishing will make no difference. Color charged waxes are SUBTLE at best.

Just learn to live with it. :(

WRAPT C5Z06
08-30-2014, 06:51 AM
One of the reasons plastic bumper covers often do not perfectly match the body is because they are not painted at the same time in the factory. Bumpers and plastic paneling are painted separately from the body. Even though the color codes are the same, there are slight differences in shade and its more apparent on lighter colored cars or white cars. More than likely, there is no fix to this problem. Also, of all colors, white is the hardest color to match if you need a repaint.
You're right. :props:

This is evident on my ashen grey metallic ZL1 front and rear fascias.

FUNX650
08-30-2014, 08:43 AM
I'm really sorry to tell you this - but there is nothing you can do short of repainting the plastics.

Wax & polishing will make no difference. The color is UNDER the clear coat - that is why polishing will make no difference. Color charged waxes are SUBTLE at best.

Just learn to live with it. :(
Often, regardless the precautions taken:
Many vehicles with SS paint systems will also suffer
the same bumper-paint differentiation/discoloration.

Bob

sjb89
08-30-2014, 09:40 AM
A lot of times on newer cars, the reason you see color differences on the bumpers compared to the body color is the bumper covers are painted at a different facility using a different batch of paint. Some cars are more noticeable than others. It is a real problem when doing refinishing on the body. I am sure there was a color difference when it was new.

Hedgeley
08-30-2014, 10:58 AM
A lot of times on newer cars, the reason you see color differences on the bumpers compared to the body color is the bumper covers are painted at a different facility using a different batch of paint. Some cars are more noticeable than others. It is a real problem when doing refinishing on the body. I am sure there was a color difference when it was new.

Thx. That was my suspicion. But the good news is that it's not that noticeable (unless I point it out to someone - and why would I do that?) and also looking around this site and asking, I now think I'll at least be able to Wax it and make it easier to clean and get the bug splatter off.

Thanks everyone for your insight.
Hedge :surrender: