PDA

View Full Version : MF cutting pads

brassmonkey
08-29-2014, 11:18 AM
I'm looking to spend some money today on some microfiber pads, cutting ones to be exact. Just looking for some insight and personal preference from some people before I bite the bullet. I am leaning towards the Meg's xtra cut and cutting pads but had maybe thought about getting a thin foamed wool pad also. BTW, these will be used on a PC7424xp.

allenk4
08-29-2014, 11:23 AM
I have used the DAMF pads on the Meguiar's DA and they are fantastic paired with D300

Great that you get two pads per package

I really like the 3" DAMF as well.

I had less success with the PFW on my older 7424.

Evan.J
08-29-2014, 11:38 AM
To be honest I have the Meguiar's MF cutting pads and the Xtra cut but have never used the Xtra cut pads. There was only one time I might have needed them but I didn't.

I use the Sönax lambs wool pads a lot and they offer a lot if cut as well. I tend to use those on my 3401 more than any other machine.

brassmonkey
08-29-2014, 12:01 PM
Gotcha. I have an e92 Jerez Black(?) M3 in my garage that I am on now and a yellow foam with m105 barely touched it. Looking for something with a little more bite. From what I read is that it is a tough paint and a da works better than a rotary on it. So now I just need some new pads since the foam won't do the job. All the write ups on those cars I find were from a few years ago and they all used the PFW to cut it. I'd surely home a mf cut pad would do the trick.

allenk4
08-29-2014, 02:44 PM
Gotcha. I have an e92 Jerez Black(?) M3 in my garage that I am on now and a yellow foam with m105 barely touched it. Looking for something with a little more bite. From what I read is that it is a tough paint and a da works better than a rotary on it. So now I just need some new pads since the foam won't do the job. All the write ups on those cars I find were from a few years ago and they all used the PFW to cut it. I'd surely home a mf cut pad would do the trick.

M105 on a Yellow Cutting Pad is a pretty aggressive combo

I am surprised that it didn't "bite" enough for you

- What Speed was your PC on?

- Was the Backing Plate Spinning?

- How much Down Pressure were you using?

- How many Section Passes?

- Were you using slow Arm Speed?

Rmd
08-29-2014, 06:40 PM
I had less success with the PFW on my older 7424.

Ha. Good luck with that. I tried meg's MF cutting discs on my 7424 (not xp) and it was a total fail. That is what led me to buy the Griots, which has no problems with Meg's MF cutting discs. Another good option are tuffbuff wool pads, or sonax lambswool, which cut a bit better than MF, but are still safe with DA. Buff and Shine cutting pads are good too.

rodneypierce
08-29-2014, 08:21 PM
How do surbuf pads compare to MF pads?

allenk4
08-29-2014, 09:12 PM
How do surbuf pads compare to MF pads?

I did not like them at all

IMO there is zero chance of getting a Surbuf to finish LSP ready...the Megs DAMF sometimes can finish LSP ready

rodneypierce
08-29-2014, 09:40 PM
I did not like them at all

IMO there is zero chance of getting a Surbuf to finish LSP ready...the Megs DAMF sometimes can finish LSP ready

Thanks brother!!! I have yet to try and MF cutting pads, but might have to on my benz. Its got some damn hard clear!

antti@561detailing
08-30-2014, 12:15 AM
Megs cutting pads are ok...pc is not really powerful enough for bmw paint...try menzerna 400 with megs cutting pads...or orange pads...i used rotaRy to cut my own bmw...and flex to finish...pc not doing it...i have done few others m5 and 535 and m3 ... Pc didn't touch them if paint is bad
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/81316-just-quick-1-step-correction-sealant.html
One step with fg400 and orange pad

DBAILEY
08-30-2014, 02:33 AM
PFW on a DA is a waste of time. Save them for rotary use or with one of the DA's with forced rotation. They might good with a Rupes with its rotation, but I don't I've seen anyone use the PFW with that machine.

dlc95
08-30-2014, 09:22 AM
I have the Rupes Microfiber cutting discs, and with a pc and 105, they are monsterous.

I also have Lake Country's purple thin foamed wool pads, but haven't tried them yet. They are thin and resemble xtra cut microfiber pads in dimension.

allenk4
08-30-2014, 11:22 AM
I have the Rupes Microfiber cutting discs, and with a pc and 105, they are monsterous.

I also have Lake Country's purple thin foamed wool pads, but haven't tried them yet. They are thin and resemble xtra cut microfiber pads in dimension.

The DAMF pads have zero foam backing

Are the PFW pads also sans backing foam?