PDA

View Full Version : Armor all butter smooth wax question

Pages : [1] 2

buddy01
08-29-2014, 10:49 AM
I have a free bottle of this, and I know armor all is crap, but would it be horrible to try? I have never waxed or anything to my truck, only gave it a bath. I'm still a noob to detailing so I'm learning all before I buy my big detailing purchase of machines and sealants/waxes. So since my truck is filthy I was going wash it today and then just throw this armor all wax on after, but one didn't know of it'll harm truck and two didn't know if it's bad to put a wax on when I'm not claying or anything.

jamesboyy
08-29-2014, 10:57 AM
I doubt if it will harm your paintwork though not claying before adding a LSP will shorten the three to five week wax life span though tape off all plastic parts/ or avoid them as much as you can then place a little bit on the applicator and go to town

JHL88
08-29-2014, 10:59 AM
You're better off going to wal mart and buying a bottle/tub of meguiars ultimate paste wax or liquid wax or Mothers Sealant.

Setec Astronomy
08-29-2014, 10:59 AM
I'm not familiar with that product. I am sure a lot of purists will disagree, but go ahead and do it. It won't harm anything, and it will surely be better than nothing. Just be careful not to get it on your black/textured trim, because usually OTC products like that will stain it and it will be difficult to get off.

As far as not claying before hand, I can hear the hue and cry already, but if you apply your wax without claying, you'll simply be doing what 80-90% of OTC users do. Go ahead and get 'er done.

PS I see you are in NJ--whereabouts?

buddy01
08-29-2014, 11:05 AM
Sorry still new what's LSP mean?

So you think it'll be a waste to put the wax on?

Setec Astronomy
08-29-2014, 11:06 AM
LSP= Last Step Product = wax

Where in NJ are you?

allenk4
08-29-2014, 11:09 AM
You mentioned that you are in the learning stages...

Why not do it correctly from the start?

Go ahead and wash AND clay so that you learn the correct process and you can effectively evaluate the LSP you are applying

FUNX650
08-29-2014, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't clay without first performing "The Baggie Test".

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/27967-baggie-test-how-inspect-above-surface-bonded-contaminants.html

Bob

buddy01
08-29-2014, 12:10 PM
South Jersey (Sewell area) where are you guys both from in NJ?

Reason why I'm not doing it the proper way fully is because when I get to doing clay bar and all that I want to make sure I have a PC or any machine to do my paint correction/ polishing/ sealing and waxing. So I'm reading up nonstop till I know exactly how to do things as best as I think I can from just reading, then get the proper detailing products, then do go to town on my truck.

Vegas Transplant
08-29-2014, 12:19 PM
Free=you have nothing to lose.
My experience with BSW is poor cleaning ability from an OTC product. Limited lifespan and no durability to speak of. Easy to apply and remove. End product however did look better than the dirty vehicle I started with.

TurboToys
08-29-2014, 12:21 PM

Reason why I'm not doing it the proper way fully is because when I get to doing clay bar and all that I want to make sure I have a PC or any machine to do my paint correction/ polishing/ sealing and waxing. So I'm reading up nonstop till I know exactly how to do things as best as I think I can from just reading, then get the proper detailing products, then do go to town on my truck.

which is a good idea, instead of doing multiple clay sessions (as most people would clay before doing machine polishing to keep debris out of the pads).

don't worry about the previous comments about claying before waxing and reducing the life... i don't believe that to be true in the slightest. the contaminates you pull off the surface with clay are large. and aren't going to affect the life span on the wax.

the only thing contaminates that clay pulls off will affect would be how easily you can get your appliacator to glide over the paint when applying. and how much debris you'll collect in your polishing pad if you were polish before claying. which could cause more scratches.

imho, you are good to do whatever you feel is right up to the point of sanding and doing things that require good technique. apply a wax before claying (like most people who buy wax at a parts store without knowing a lot of detailing tricks), follow instructions and then observe the results the next time you apply a wax after claying. that way you'll know the difference in feel and application and can be better prepared for the future when you are standing there helping someone else understands clays and waxes.

jamesboyy
08-29-2014, 12:57 PM

I'm not from NJ I am from NY in other words i'm your neighbor across the water

Setec Astronomy
08-29-2014, 12:57 PM

I'm up in north central, or south north, or something like that. If you were around the corner I'd tell you to swing by with your truck because I'm working outside anyway.

Setec Astronomy
08-29-2014, 01:01 PM
don't worry about the previous comments about claying before waxing and reducing the life... i don't believe that to be true in the slightest. the contaminates you pull off the surface with clay are large. and aren't going to affect the life span on the wax.

eh, the theory with that is the contaminants that the clay removes interfere with having a continuous film of wax on the car. I disagree however that clay only pulls off large contaminants--it takes off gunky film attached to the paint, which definitely interferes with LSP bonding.

However, as I already said, the OP should just go for it, it's not going to hurt anything.

dsg03gt
08-29-2014, 01:31 PM
I tried that wax a couple years ago. It was probably one of the worst waxes I have used. But if its all you got I'm sure its better than no wax.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk