PDA

View Full Version : How to protect new black Mercedes paint

08-29-2014, 09:28 AM
I've done a lot of searching but can't seem to get a good idea of what to do. Wife just got new Mercedes in black paint and has asked me to "wax" it. I told her I really need to research what best thing to do is. I had a new Audi a while back and just washed it and it looked great but I don't know anything about Merc paint...I see comments about some manufacturers having soft paint...is Mercedes in this category? This will be a daily driver work car so my main concern is protection...I assume that means going with a sealant...correct? The paint is obviously perfect now and I'm ordering new MF towels so I can wash it then do whatever I need to do. I have a lot of products I use on my old 911 but not sure they are appropriate for this new car. TIA.

Mike Phillips
08-29-2014, 09:35 AM
First welcome to AGO :welcome:

Second, does it have a Ceramiclear finish? If you're lucky it does.

See this article, look at the pictures and then check you car for the paint code....

Ceramiclear Paint Code Location on Mercedes-Benz (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/76229-ceramiclear-paint-code-location-mercedes-benz.html)

:)

Mike Phillips
08-29-2014, 09:37 AM
There's a forum member on DetailingWorld that recently asked me what to use on his Audi R8 and I posted an in-depth reply.

Check it out here,

Show car LSP for Audi R8 (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=344435)

My answer is in post #5

FUNX650
08-29-2014, 09:44 AM
This will be a daily driver work car so my main concern is protection...

Since this is the case...
Merc "black paint" should be protected like any other vehicles' "black paints":
With a quality LSP---Be it a Wax, Sealant, or a Coating.

I prefer a Sealant for DDs.
The AGO store has a nice assortment from which to choose.

Bob

Mike Phillips
08-29-2014, 09:50 AM
Here's my best advice for a brand new car from the dealership...

Don't let the dealership touch the paint. That means don't let them detail it in any way, shape or fashion and NEVER let them wash it when you take it in for ANY type of service.

If you are not PRO-ACTIVE in telling them not to wash it they will. See my article here and I hope I never see you come back and ask how to remove swirls from the dealership because they washed it.

DON'T WASH CAR !!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/66855-don-t-wash-car.html)

It's really a very serious problem.

08-29-2014, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the quick replies...I'll check to see if it has the Ceramiclear finish.
Edit...just checked the decal and I don't see that listed...just says 040, no "C" for paint color so I assume it does not have Ceramiclear

Mike Phillips
08-29-2014, 09:53 AM
You want something that's fast and easy, makes the paint look great and makes the paint feel incredibly slick?

Get a bottle of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

If it were me I would machine apply it but that's me. I try do do everything by machine. But you can apply it by hand.

See the product in this article and there's a link to it at the AG store too. Be sure to get extra foam applicator pads and if make sure you have GREAT microfiber towels that won't put scratches into the paint.

The Wolfgang Four (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/74198-wolfgang-four.html)

Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

German engineered synthetic paint sealant.
Non-cleaning, pure synthetic - Paint must be in excellent condition as in brand new or previously polished to like new condition before use.
Can be applied by hand or any type of dual action polisher wit foam pads.
This product "seals" the paint in the say way a car wax or paint coating will seal the paint. It is water insoluble and as such like all synthetic paint sealants, car waxes and paint coatings is not body shop safe.
Requires 30 to 45 minutes of drying time before removal.
Oxygen activated. After buffing off the excess sealant the remaining protection ingredients should be allowed to cure and fully set-up for an approximate 12 hour window of time before the vehicle is put back into service where it will be exposed to water.
Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 (http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html)

08-29-2014, 10:15 AM
I agree on not letting the dealer touch it. It had a speck of bird poop or something on the spoiler when we first got it and they said they'd have their shop look at it. They got it off but there are very faint scratches where they "cleaned" it. In addition there are three or four places that we have found so far where some sort of tape was applied to the car and it left a sticky residue. My wife is going to take it back to the dealer to point it out but I've told her adamantly to insist they NOT wash the car. I'm torn between trying to address the tape residue myself and making sure the dealer knows they did this.

08-29-2014, 10:25 AM
Putting the Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 in shopping cart, along with some new drying towels. I have a PC DA polisher already. BTW, would that sealer be good on my late 80's 911? It's a single stage Guards Red in great over all shape but I don't know if it would be compatible with the sealant you recommend for the Mercedes. Also will be ordering the Wolfgang Glaze for the 911. The Wolfgang 4 does not include an actual "wax" so I'm assuming the Sealant performs that function...correct?