PDA

View Full Version : Woolite instead of a regular APC?

Pages : [1] 2

fellipe
08-28-2014, 07:53 PM
Hello.
I've been reading about using Woolite (diluted 1:10 with water) for cleaning car interiors. What I liked most is how inexpensive it's. My question:

Does it replace a regular APC (like Meguiar's) for cleaning interiors?

Thank you.

Setec Astronomy
08-28-2014, 07:57 PM
Sure, you can use that, it actually is (or used to be) recommended by some car makers for cleaning interior leather. I don't like the smell too much, personally. But then again I don't really like the smell of D101 or UISG either.

allenk4
08-28-2014, 08:06 PM
The MSDS sheet indicates Woolite has a pH of 7.5 (undiluted), which is lower than most APC which can affect what it cleans (Proteins vs. Tannins)

http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/spree/products/4648/safety_sheets/Woolite_For_All_Delicates_Conc-US.pdf?1323898575

There are too many factors related to pH and dilution for me to speak directly to it. I am still learning via Swanic's pH thread

asallwey
08-28-2014, 08:59 PM
Here is another resource for looking up common product.

Household Products Database - Health and Safety Information on Household Products (http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/index.htm)

Pureshine
08-29-2014, 12:41 AM
I think this is kinda funny really.

fellipe
08-29-2014, 05:49 AM
Why?

Desertnate
08-29-2014, 08:06 AM
Sure, you can use that, it actually is (or used to be) recommended by some car makers for cleaning interior leather.

Still do. The manual in my wife's 2013 Toyota recommends it though not by name specifically to avoid any endorsement issues. It says something like, "mild wool and silk detergent", or similar so you know exactly what they are talking about.

While I'd use it to clean the leather, I don't know if I'd use it on the entire interior.

Desertnate
08-29-2014, 08:09 AM
The MSDS sheet indicates Woolite has a pH of 7.5 (undiluted), which is lower than most APC which can affect what it cleans (Proteins vs. Tannins)

http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/spree/products/4648/safety_sheets/Woolite_For_All_Delicates_Conc-US.pdf?1323898575

There are too many factors related to pH and dilution for me to speak directly to it. I am still learning via Swanic's pH thread

Since a pH of 7 is neutral, I can't imagine anything dangerous about it once diluted 10:1 in water.

Setec Astronomy
08-29-2014, 08:17 AM
While I'd use it to clean the leather, I don't know if I'd use it on the entire interior.

I dunno, I used to use it on hard plastics like the trim pieces at the door thresholds, seemed fine for that. At the time I started using it the recommendation was 6:1, and it was a little sudsy, then people recommended 10:1; I still have a bottle mixed up at that dilution, I must have used it for something not that long ago, because I remember having to mix up some fresh cuz the bottle had something growing in it.

Desertnate
08-29-2014, 08:48 AM
I dunno, I used to use it on hard plastics like the trim pieces at the door thresholds, seemed fine for that. At the time I started using it the recommendation was 6:1, and it was a little sudsy, then people recommended 10:1; I still have a bottle mixed up at that dilution, I must have used it for something not that long ago, because I remember having to mix up some fresh cuz the bottle had something growing in it.

Good to know. It was the suds and soapiness that would make me pause to use it on hard plastic. I also wondered it it would clean as well. My thought was I can go a tad more aggressive on trim/plastics that I would the leather.

HUMP DIESEL
08-29-2014, 08:55 AM
I used it the other day on my 01 IS300 seats. The middle section, which I believe is alcantara has been dingy looking on my side and there was a stain on the passenger side. I mixed it with warm water in a 5 gallon bucket and used a soft MF towel that I would ring out really well. It did a great job.

HUMP

fellipe
08-29-2014, 09:06 AM
How about using it on the dash?

Setec Astronomy
08-29-2014, 09:11 AM
Good to know. It was the suds and soapiness that would make me pause to use it on hard plastic. I also wondered it it would clean as well. My thought was I can go a tad more aggressive on trim/plastics that I would the leather.

That's the opposite of how I think about it--I'd be more worried about "soap" residue on leather, but whatever, it was annoying, it was better in the 10:1. I've just accumulated a bunch more products for interior cleaning, so I've been reaching for them first.

Setec Astronomy
08-29-2014, 09:12 AM
How about using it on the dash?

I wouldn't hesitate to use it there.

expdetailing
08-29-2014, 09:13 AM
I have to say be careful when using laundry detergent to clean fabrics because they require a lot of water to rinse properly. If it's not rinsed properly, soiling will accumulate faster than if no detergent was left behind. I've seen this with my own eyes.