PDA

View Full Version : Rotary tips for subaru paint?

aburgeson
08-28-2014, 03:53 PM
Hey all was hoping for some advice before I start my next project. I want to compound and then polish a 2011 subaru wrx. I was hoping to use a rotary for the compound process to speed up the step. Then follow with a da to remove the holograms. I know subaru paint tends to be very soft and wanted to know if this was a safe approach. I have the flex 3403 rotary and the flex 3401 da. Also any help with pad selection for he rotary would be awesome. Mainly I want to know would I use a less aggressive pad on the rotary than on a da since its spinning faster? Any help would be awesome, sorry for the noob questions.

Paul A.
08-28-2014, 04:00 PM
Have you used a rotary before?

fly07sti
08-28-2014, 04:11 PM
Speaking as someone that has owned a couple and have detailed a half dozen or so, I'd suggest you use the 3401. Without seeing the defects and assuming there aren't any repaints anywhere, the 3401 will be More than enough speed/power to compound. I would also suggest using 5" LC hybrid pads on the 3401. I have 2 rotaries and am very capable with them, but I wouldn't use them on very soft paint. Just my $.02

Lowejackson
08-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Why not start with the least aggressive products first. If a mild polish can do the job there is no need for anything stronger. No point removing more paint than is necessary

wrb_subie
08-28-2014, 04:41 PM
What fly07sti said..I've detailed 30 or so wrx's and you won't need a rotary.

aburgeson
08-28-2014, 05:37 PM
Alright good to know about the rotary. I did a test spot and Im pretty sure I need a compound. Or possibly its because I dont have a strong enough polish. Was thinking about using m105 but I hate it since it dusts like crazy. Then for polish using m205 of wg finishing glaze

Ryan509
08-28-2014, 07:26 PM
I've heard good things about menzerna on sub's. But i did a subaru WRX with that greyish/blueish paint and the previous owner just ukered the paint on. Looked like he took a brillo pad. I used Blackfire total polish and seal and i got about a 65% correction rate which is very good for an all in one. That just shows how soft the paint was. I used an orange pad with a griots da. Do you have a pic of the vehicle with some defect pics?

aburgeson
08-28-2014, 07:30 PM
Its a dark grey car and I only have my cell phone to take pics. So when I take pics the swirls arent really shown, but when I use my led flashlight you can see them. I wouldnt say they are bad since no scratches but I dont have a polish strong enough I dont think. I have d151 and m205. Idk which one has more cut though. Regardless I didnt think either polish could get me what I want so I figured I'd use my m105 compound first.

BillE
08-29-2014, 07:47 AM
With Subby paint you definitely want to use the least 'aggressive first' method.

Test spot is a must.

Just my 2¢...

Bill