PDA

View Full Version : Reason for a more powerful Pressure Washer?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

FMINUS
08-07-2007, 04:34 PM
I have the bottom of the line Karcher PW. Would there be any benefit to me getting a bigger and badder PW?

Would it create more foam?

Thejoyofdriving
08-07-2007, 04:38 PM
well when i went to home depot they were saying that bigger pressure washers can create more pressure and a higher flow rate...more GPM(gall./mins), so you can wash more faster. More foam? My guess....yes.

budman3
08-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Yes the bigger pressure washers create more pressure... common sense. Wash time wouldn't be effected.

As for what FMINUS is talking about, car washing, I see no benefit to a strong pressure washer. Actually the less powerful ones are safer. Going too strong could be detrimental to the paint, plastic trim, tires, bearings, etc. Playing with different soaps and dilutions rather than a new unit, IMO.

Thejoyofdriving
08-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Yes the bigger pressure washers create more pressure... common sense. Wash time wouldn't be effected.

As for what FMINUS is talking about, car washing, I see no benefit to a strong pressure washer. Actually the less powerful ones are safer. Going too strong could be detrimental to the paint, plastic trim, tires, bearings, etc. Playing with different soaps and dilutions rather than a new unit, IMO.

I bet it could make that foam canon shoot further.

FMINUS
08-07-2007, 05:19 PM

Good idea, thanks for saving me$300. Now for the SUN GUN!

pirex
08-07-2007, 05:21 PM
The important thing about pressure washer, is not the pressure, but the amount of wather it can get out! Mutch water is important when washing a car!

justin_murphy
08-07-2007, 05:38 PM
I've used all types of washers. I would never go back from my Honda GX 9HP. But......it's the pump that makes all the difference. Sorta like having a 1969 Camaro with a V6 I guess........LOL!

You do get more foam and faster rinsing with higher GPM. If you all remember I used a Karcher electric forever and loved it. Sometimes you just have to upgrade though.

budman3
08-07-2007, 07:48 PM
I would upgrade from an electric to a gas for reliability reasons but not because of the power. I had an el cheapo electric PW that died a year or two after purchase and upgraded to a gas. I don't use it on cars though.

As stated, a PW can only produce the power that the pump can handle. Also the water pressure of the line in can effect the efficiency of the PW as well. Low water pressure from the hose vs high water pressure.

D
08-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Well it depends on what PSI you're using right now, and how much can actually go through the foam cannon (it has a limit). I can tell you one thing, Ive got a 2500 PSI pressure washer, and there sure as hell isnt 2500 PSI coming out of the foam cannon.

Think of it this way. You put a bigger mass air flow on your car. Lets say stock is 75mm, and you upgrade to 85mm. Well the inlet tube and throttle body is still only 75mm. So did adding the 85mm mass air flow increase the amount of air that goes into the engine? No because its restricted by the inlet tube and throttle body. Really all it does is make the car run bad, and screw with the sensors.

Thejoyofdriving
08-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Well it depends on what PSI you're using right now, and how much can actually go through the foam cannon (it has a limit). I can tell you one thing, Ive got a 2500 PSI pressure washer, and there sure as hell isnt 2500 PSI coming out of the foam cannon.

Think of it this way. You put a bigger mass air flow on your car. Lets say stock is 75mm, and you upgrade to 85mm. Well the inlet tube and throttle body is still only 75mm. So did adding the 85mm mass air flow increase the amount of air that goes into the engine? No because its restricted by the inlet tube and throttle body. Really all it does is make the car run bad, and screw with the sensors.
Thats why K&N filters are bad.

D
08-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Thats why K&N filters are bad.

Why?

FMINUS
08-07-2007, 10:45 PM
D&D: I have the cheapest PW from Karcher right now I think its 1450.

Joy: I think you missed the point, D&D was talking more about a bottlenecking effect...

D
08-07-2007, 10:48 PM
D&D: I have the cheapest PW from Karcher right now I think its 1450.

No need to upgrade then IMO.

Thejoyofdriving
08-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Joy: I think you missed the point, D&D was talking more about a bottlenecking effect...

Not to go too off topic but, K&N "free flow" air filters can not trap very small particals, because the mesh is looser to allow more air to flow through, for new cars this does nothing as the cars ECU detects the higher oxygen flow and compensates by closing the air intake a bit which restores normal oxygen flow. Thats for newer cars...for older cars that are not computer controlled you can gain abit of power. Anyways back on topic I would go with a electric washer if you are going to upgrade as they are quieter.

D
08-07-2007, 11:12 PM
True, but thats totally different then what I was talking about. But thats also why you're supposed to oil them, being careful to NOT over oil them.