PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Trim

MilesTeg
08-27-2014, 04:41 PM
I have an older Explorer with a *ton* of black trim. I've seen two products here and elseware that claim to be a "permanent" fix to faded black trim rather than a temporary coverup like mothers back to black, 303, etc.

* Forever Black
* Wipe New

Anyone here with experience with either or both and can recommend which is better?

I've spent a lot of time with the Mother's Trim Cleaner (not the coverup) and have had good results getting off years of old discolored dressing, road salt, wax buildup, etc. Most of the panels look remarkably better, though I'd like to take it up to the next level if possible and there are some stains and fading that obviously will need re coloring/dying.

Goin Rogue
08-27-2014, 05:14 PM
Check out this thread, lots of products reviewed!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/75938-trim-restorer-showdown-round-2-long-pic-heavy.html

Mizzoutiger
08-28-2014, 12:02 AM
After using/testing several, here's my "final answer": Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer (http://www.autogeek.net/best-plastic-restorer.html). And for added durability, I top with Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus, tire & trim protectant, tire dressing, rubber protectant (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-tire-trim-guard.html).

cleanmycorolla
08-28-2014, 12:56 AM
I have an older Explorer with a *ton* of black trim. I've seen two products here and elseware that claim to be a "permanent" fix to faded black trim rather than a temporary coverup like mothers back to black, 303, etc.

* Forever Black
* Wipe New

Anyone here with experience with either or both and can recommend which is better?

I've spent a lot of time with the Mother's Trim Cleaner (not the coverup) and have had good results getting off years of old discolored dressing, road salt, wax buildup, etc. Most of the panels look remarkably better, though I'd like to take it up to the next level if possible and there are some stains and fading that obviously will need re coloring/dying.

funny those two you mentioned would probably be last on my list...for something long term try DLux or Pinnacle Surface Coating....Wolfgang WETS is nice as is UTTGP is good as well(ultimo tire and trim sealant)

808_detail_nut
08-28-2014, 03:58 AM
Just used klasse cleaner/protectant and was blown away. Did a lexus that had ugly wax build up on the trim. Dabbed a little on my MF applicator and was surprised how well it cleaned all the old wax off. I usually use black wow but I'm liking the klasse. The price don't hurt as well. Try it out and it's silicone free.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

Paul A.
08-28-2014, 05:53 AM
You are on the right track with cleaning the living snot out of it first. That has been critically important for me. While all the talk about DLux has piqued my interest here lately, i just picked up some Black Wow Pro and have found it to be phenomenal stuff. 2 coats on my black trim (after intense cleaning) and it still looks fantastic after about a month and 4 car washes! I used less than half an ounce.

Black WOW Professional Trim Restorer 1 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/black-wow-pro-sample.html)

Junebug
08-28-2014, 07:00 AM
I like the Mothers Trim Cleaner, so I reckon their trim dressing ought to the next thing I try.

Mike Phillips
08-28-2014, 07:04 AM
Here's a tip for keeping black plastic trim looking good.....

As soon as you buy a new car.... start taking care of the trim. Find something you like and use it often, as in apply it to the trim at least once a month after a fresh wash job.

Most people don't pay attention to their black plastic trim until 2-3 years go buy and then all of a sudden it starts to look pretty ugly. Then they look for some type of product to bring it back to life. Even when they do find a product that brings it back to life if they don't "then" start using this product often the ugly returns.

So if you buy a brand new car and it has any amount of black plastic trim.... start right now maintaining it and it will always look great. It's easier and faster to maintain plastic trim in great or new condition than it is to try to bring it back from the dead.

:)

cmanningjr
08-28-2014, 07:15 AM

As soon as you buy a new car.... start taking care of the trim. Find something you like and use it often, as in apply it to the trim at least once a month after a fresh wash job.

Most people don't pay attention to their black plastic trim until 2-3 years go buy and then all of a sudden it starts to look pretty ugly. Then they look for some type of product to bring it back to life. Even when they do find a product that brings it back to life if they don't "then" start using this product often the ugly returns.

So if you buy a brand new car and it has any amount of black plastic trim.... start right now maintaining it and it will always look great. It's easier and faster to maintain plastic trim in great or new condition than it is to try to bring it back from the dead.

Great advice. I went thru a bout with black trim on a 2002 Volvo. Took a while but I finally got it to where the maintenance on it is pretty easy.

Find a product you like and use it often!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Junebug
08-28-2014, 08:07 AM
Now this is not "exactly" the same, but, my wife's 2008 white Toyota Highlander has black trim on the cowl and a piece on the back bumper. I don't think they are the same type of plastic as the back appears to be shiny and the front is more matte. Also, they get different levels of sun and wind. Now, here's the question, I had used a few trim dressing on the front and the all looked good for a while, but after they faded into history, the trim looked worse than the piece on the back that I had left alone. I'm thinking it was the residue left by these dressings that caused the old faded look. I finally used the Mothers Trim Cleaner on the back, 1 - cause it needed it and 2 - cause it was at my rolling stool height and my back was saying NO to standing/leaning that day. It cleaned up nice!
So, I have a product that cleans great, I haven't tried the Mothers Silicon free dressing - figured Mr Mike has - and wanted his advice.
Lastly - ya'll going to do a big Labor Day sale? I got a couple C-notes burning my back side.

detailerone
08-30-2014, 11:28 AM

Mike -

But what if you are working on a used car (not your own). Lots of different suggestions here (and on other forums). A mention of Black Wow that I might try. The biggest challenge I've faced is when the car is older, there are different levels of fade, so when you apply products, the "new shine" tends to be blotchy and streaky instead of consistent.

refreshauto
08-30-2014, 11:46 AM
Solution Finish is the way to go