PDA

View Full Version : is turtle wax black box worth it?

premierauto
08-27-2014, 10:26 AM
I am looking to try the turtle wax blackbox as a lower level quick wax application for black cars, also curious how it would perform on my black on black on black X5. I will be purchasing alot of the blackfire and pinnacle products for higher end cars at the moment looking for a product that is available over the counter to start. Thanks all!

AJ

Heisenberg
08-27-2014, 10:42 AM
I guess that depends on what you're looking to accomplish, as with everything else detailing-related. I tried it a long time ago when I started detailing and even then I was less than impressed with the results I got - it's a bit gimmicky to me, and that gimmicky marketing is why I bought it before I was a bit more educated about what it does.

It won't correct swirls in your paint - it will hide them. It's basically a really oily glaze with fillers, and there are better glazes out there.

It won't last long or provide much in the way of protection.

P.I.T.A. to remove if not wiped on and wiped off quickly. Also heavily stains microfibers and hands if you don't wear gloves.

I got compliments on it even though I wasn't happy with it. For $20 you can get a better product, but if it looks good to you and you like it, that's all that really matters.

Evan.J
08-27-2014, 10:47 AM
You would be better off going with a sealant of some kind like Sonax Polymer Net Shield.

It is an aerosol spay sealant that adds great gloss and good protection from 4-6 months. The application method is very easy, wipe on wipe off. While a can will be $27 you can get a few vehicles out of it.

trekkeruss
08-27-2014, 10:49 AM
I haven't used it. While there are a lot of good reviews of the Black Box on Amazon, the one star reviews would make me think twice about using it. The products are tinted black, so the kit could only be used on black vehicles. If I was wanting a less expensive product for professional use, I'd want something that would work on all vehicles, not just black ones.

If the goal is a simple to use and quick product for polishing and protecting paint, I'd grab a jug of Mequiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream. I haven't used it either, but I know and trust Meguiar's, it gets rave reviews here on AGO, and it's cheap.

EWtheDETAILER
08-27-2014, 11:05 AM
Save your money.... the black box is not worth the effort requried to apply. If you looking for a cheaper over the counter wax I'd look into Meguairs, or into a bulk wax you could buy a gallon at a time. I'm a fan of Meguiars M26 yellow carnuba wax for my lower end details.

Kengo123
08-27-2014, 11:09 AM
Hes looking for a quick wax product

I say just try it out. You may be able to return it depending on where you buy it

trekkeruss
08-27-2014, 11:25 AM
Hes looking for a quick wax product

Is he? Then the Black Box certainly wouldn't be the right choice, as it is a two step product...nothing quick about it.

FUNX650
08-27-2014, 01:22 PM
•What is the actual:
color/hue/tint/shade/value/saturation...of these "painted black" vehicles?

•Hard to properly answer.

So...
•Is Turtle Wax Black Box "worth it"?
-IMHO: Absolutely not!
-Can't put all of the above different descriptors,
of all of the black-paints, in one container!

•This is such a gimmick-product:
-Please don't let the hype get ya!

Bob

Loser
08-27-2014, 01:28 PM
I guess that depends on what you're looking to accomplish, as with everything else detailing-related. I tried it a long time ago when I started detailing and even then I was less than impressed with the results I got - it's a bit gimmicky to me, and that gimmicky marketing is why I bought it before I was a bit more educated about what it does.

It won't correct swirls in your paint - it will hide them. It's basically a really oily glaze with fillers, and there are better glazes out there.

It won't last long or provide much in the way of protection.

P.I.T.A. to remove if not wiped on and wiped off quickly. Also heavily stains microfibers and hands if you don't wear gloves.

I got compliments on it even though I wasn't happy with it. For $20 you can get a better product, but if it looks good to you and you like it, that's all that really matters.

Summed up my experience perfectly. On another note, if you have any metal-flake in the paint, it will get muted with this product.

aburgeson
08-27-2014, 01:57 PM
No this product is pretty bad. I used it for a friend who bought it for his black mustang. This product was hard to use and I feel made it dull. I stripped it right off and put on some 845 instead

swanicyouth
08-27-2014, 04:02 PM
I've never used it, but it's probably worth it. People here seem to love Turtle Wax. In fact, you may want to look into getting a full arsenal of TW products. Whenever a TW product post comes up, numerous people crawl out of the woodwork and say how great it is and how they can get it on sale someplace for like $2.98.

So, recently I've come to the conclusion that TW probably makes the best stuff out there.I think I've decided when I use up all of my detailing supplies (probably in the year 2079 if my calculations are correct) - I'm probably just going to go all TW. Hopefully the products then will have the same loyal following as they do today.

premierauto
08-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the input guys! I tried the spray wax as a "maintenance" on my freshly waxed truck, it is very glossy and it does turn everything black lol. I got it on sale at oreilly for $2.95 so i cant complain. It helped my rims and tail lights get a little more shimmer. I say its best for tinted tails and black rims. Decent for the price on top of a better wax. I was glad to find out the place where i got my express wax done (they were running a sale $25 for clay bar and wax) used pinnacle wax. Overall not bad, smells nice, and if used to maintain a higher quality wax works well for the money. Il have to take your suggestions though and use some of the better products.

The Guz
08-27-2014, 11:03 PM
Look into Meguiar's or Mothers for anything over the counter.

brondondolon
08-27-2014, 11:48 PM
I've used turtle wax black box as well as meguiars black wax. The liquid in Turtle wax black box was BLACK and had a smell of charcoal. Megs was grey. The black box work amazing at filling in light scratches where the megs didn't. Imo the black box is an amazing product if u don't want to polish the scratches and only want a temporary bandaid

There are 3 steps in it (detailer spray, cleaner wax, carnuba wax) and from my experience only the carnuba step which is step 3 is needed. The other two are a waste of time.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online