PDA

View Full Version : Guys, I am having trouble with my technique, can you help?

expdetailing
08-26-2014, 10:25 PM
First thanks for reading. Here it goes: No matter what, when I remove a lot of swirls with heavy cut compound on MF pads speed 6 on a PC 15lbs downward pressure, and slow arm movement I get nice shiny results until I examine the surface at a telling angle and I still see smaller cobwebing. Maybe I am not going down far enough, or maybe that's the best a MF pad will do for me. I have tried to attack these swirls with white and black pads using menzerna 1500, 3000 and 4000. Do you think I'll ever get these out with what's in my arsenal? Vehicles were 2012 caravan and 2009chevy equinox

allenk4
08-26-2014, 10:34 PM
You will get leads marring if you drop the speed down to 4.5

15lbs of downward pressure may also be too much, try less

MF pads are great for cutting, but do not finish LSP ready on some paints

A second polishing step with a foam pad may be what your paint is asking for

What microfiber pad are you using?

Did you mark you backing plate?
Is it spinning?

What compound or polish are you using with the MF?

How many passes are you making?

Have you watched the video Mike Phillips did with the Meguiar's guys?

Can you post photos of the paint?

Setec Astronomy
08-26-2014, 10:37 PM
A heavy cut compound (you didn't say what you are using) is likely to leave hazing/marring, that's a given.

You should be able to remove and refine those with SIP (SI 1500) and PO106FF (SF4000); I'd skip the Final Finish (FF3000). Do you have an orange pad to use with the SIP?

With a modern compound you should be able to do only 2 steps, particularly on the vehicles you are working on.

Vegas Transplant
08-26-2014, 11:07 PM
I second what the other posters added to this thread. Also from my experience both of those vehicles tend to have hard factory CC. So is it possible that what you're seeing is marring from the towels used to remove product ?

WRAPT C5Z06
08-26-2014, 11:09 PM
Sounds like you're seeing marring/haze from the compounding step. Reduce the speed to 5 with MF pads. Try removing the marring with a white pad with Menz SF4000.

Vegas, the harder the clear, the less chance of towel marring.

allenk4
08-26-2014, 11:14 PM
Good suggestion by Mark

Whatever you decide to try, do a 12"x12" Test Spot with it to make sure you are getting the results you desire before using it on the entire vehicle

WRAPT C5Z06
08-26-2014, 11:15 PM
Good suggestion by Mark

Whatever you decide to try, do a 12"x12" Test Spot with it to make sure you are getting the results you desire before using it on the entire vehicle

You always always spot on. :props:

Vegas Transplant
08-26-2014, 11:22 PM
Been almost a year since I did my last paint correction. Thanks Mark. Hopefully I'll get back in the saddle next time I get to Etters.

expdetailing
08-26-2014, 11:40 PM
What microfiber pad are you using?

Did you mark you backing plate?
Is it spinning?
YES

What compound or polish are you using with the MF?
HD Cut

How many passes are you making?
Five-ish

Have you watched the video Mike Phillips did with the Meguiar's guys?
Yes. I have tried the menz 1500, 3000, and 4500 on black pads. Should I reduce DA Rotational speed, lighten-up on pressure, and make arm movements faster? Next time, I'll try again with a white pad. I know I said menz only with black pads, but I also tried using the white pad that comes with the PC brand new. Are those pads junk, maybe?
Can you post photos of the paint?

allenk4
08-27-2014, 12:45 AM
Toss the pad that came with the PC

If the MF/HD Cut is removing the RIDS and Swirls, but is leaving behind DA haze or tick marks...you have two basic options

1. Change your technique with that combo to decrease the haze/marring

2. Follow that compounding combo with a polishing combo, like 1500 on a white foam pad

Faster arm movements have never solved anything for me peraonally

allenk4
08-27-2014, 12:47 AM
I didn't see what brand and type of MF pad you are using yet?

expdetailing
08-27-2014, 10:24 AM
My apologies, the mf pad is an optimum cutting pad used with hd cut, then I use menzerna (1500, 3000, 4000) on a lc black finishing pad.