PDA

View Full Version : More questions about MF pads

Grifffx4
08-26-2014, 07:56 AM
Could you use a MF finishing pad to apply waxes?

And could you use a MF finishing pad to buff off wax like a MF bonnet?

Marc08EX
08-26-2014, 10:40 AM
You could but I personally wouldn't.. There's nothing wrong in doing so but I don't see the point. The MF pad is adding some mechanical abrasion to the equation. A wax/sealant should be applied with a pad that doesn't have this mechanical cutting ability and is as soft as possible.

The D301/MF finishing pad combo was made to remove the potential haze that the D300/MF cutting pad could create. D301 has some polish to it so it's not a pure wax/sealant. This feature along with the MF nap of the finishing pad is what abrades the paint (lightly).

So if you're already applying wax to a perfectly polished paint, you don't want to potentially put in some haze or light swirls because of the MF nap.

nubaseal
08-26-2014, 10:43 AM
I think Mike said in one of the threads somewhere that you should always finish with foam. MF pads are great for a good cut, but can hardly ever finish well.

allenk4
08-26-2014, 11:04 AM
I think Mike said in one of the threads somewhere that you should always finish with foam. MF pads are great for a good cut, but can hardly ever finish well.

I doubt Mike P said "Always"

I have seen the DAMF system finish down great with both D301 & D302

D301 is a polish with wax in it that is designed to be your last step, so yes, you can apply wax with the DAMF polishing pad

I suggest removing wax and polish residue I'd best accomplished with a microfiber towel

Bonnets, IMO are a bad idea

Dr_Pain
08-26-2014, 11:15 AM
I personally would not just for fear of creating some micromarring.

c8n
08-26-2014, 11:32 AM
I wouldn't.
If anything, I would compare the MF finishing pads with something like the LC CCS white or green pads.

allenk4
08-26-2014, 05:59 PM
I personally would not just for fear of creating some micromarring.

It all depends on the paint hardness

On harder paint the DAMF Polishing Pad finishes out great

On medium hardness paint, not so much

The DAMF Polishing pad would be a great combo with D151 on a one-step

The D301 Finishing Wax actually has MORE cut to it than the D302 Polish, which relies on the pad to do the cutting

allenk4
08-26-2014, 06:03 PM
I wouldn't.
If anything, I would compare the MF finishing pads with something like the LC CCS white or green pads.

On softer paint, the White CCS and Green CCS pads will both leave less marring than the DAMF Polishing Pads, when used with the same polish

On lots of vehicles that are being "Production Detailed", the DAMF system can be a big time saver and give results that the Customer will be very happy with

On my vehicles, I always go the extra step and finish with foam and a finishing polish

Belair
08-26-2014, 08:54 PM
Wonder what the Silverfox would say about this issue; last I heard he was sold on the MF pads vs. foam.

WRAPT C5Z06
08-26-2014, 11:13 PM
No and no. :)