PDA

View Full Version : What happens if you wipe off wax before hazing?

cfiiman
08-25-2014, 11:35 PM
Just curious, say a pure carnauba wax that you are suppose to let haze, well say you you didn't. Say you just wiped in on and then wiped it off, would it do anything or do you have to let it haze to see any benefit, and why? I searched but couldn't find the answer, I'm just curious is all. I say Mike P's write up on "which" waxes need to dry or not but not what happens if you didn't let something fully haze that was suppose to.

Contact40
08-25-2014, 11:58 PM
My uneducated assumption is that the wax needs time to set up to offer any protection.

Since Carnauba waxes are derived from plants, and in their natural state are hard and flaky...there are other things mixed into the wax in order to make the product workable by the end user (and smell good). My guess is that there is probably a molecular process that takes place when the moisture leaves the wax and it hazes up, leaving only the carnauba layer of protection on the car.

BTW, if it takes more than a minute or so to haze up, you possibly have too much wax on the car. Most of the waxes I use usually begin hazing up as I finish coating the panel I'm working on.

FUNX650
08-26-2014, 12:13 AM
I do believe it's best to follow the manufacturers' recommended application/removal directions.

Less worry about:
If enough of the wax-products' VOCs, carrier-system ingredients, etc...have out-gassed, so to speak: All in a timely, and hazy manner.
Thus allowing for the products' wax-attributes to not be compromised.

Also:
Less Wax in/on the wiping-cloth >>> Less wasted product.

Bob

davey g-force
08-26-2014, 01:14 AM
BTW, if it takes more than a minute or so to haze up, you possibly have too much wax on the car. Most of the waxes I use usually begin hazing up as I finish coating the panel I'm working on.

:eek: That seems way too quick - unless maybe if you live in a really hot, dry part of the world...

TurboToys
08-26-2014, 08:50 AM
Just curious, say a pure carnauba wax that you are suppose to let haze, well say you you didn't. Say you just wiped in on and then wiped it off, would it do anything or do you have to let it haze to see any benefit, and why? I searched but couldn't find the answer, I'm just curious is all. I say Mike P's write up on "which" waxes need to dry or not but not what happens if you didn't let something fully haze that was suppose to.

like bob said, follow the manufacturers instructions.

waxes have certain solvents that will be helping them go from their packaged form to the paint easier, from that point they may require that time to haze and then be removed.

the reason you wait is because if you were to wipe it off you would be using the solvents that keep it from being nothing but solid wax, to wipe it away from the paint. not saying you wouldn't have some left, but you wouldn't be using it in its best manner.

other waxes are formulated where they are wipe on wipe off, these usually just contain special mixes of waxes that allow them to "melt" when you put your finger on them, with no solvents in them, these were mixed with the intent that once they are placed on the paint in a thin layer. the layer that stays is the layer you want, the rest is excess. which is why we apply in such thin layers.

the layer of wax is no more than 30 nanometers thick. extremely thin. so it doesn't take a lot to get coverage.

in the end, the people who created the wax know what is in it, and how its carried from bottle/can to the paint, and know whether or not you should wait to wipe, or wipe right away, follow manufacturer directions.

That seems way too quick - unless maybe if you live in a really hot, dry part of the world...

the thickness of application can cause there to be a much quicker hazing. if you are applying via machine or using very small amounts, it should haze extremely quick compared to "globbing" it on like you see some people unfamiliar with waxes do (i'm guilty of it back when i was 16). the more wax you put on the more solvents there are, and the longer it takes for all the solvents to evaporate out of the wax. if you put a super thin layer it will take far less time for them solvents to evaporate and the wax to "haze"

KneeDragr
08-26-2014, 09:11 AM
Some waxes are WIWO so you dont need to wait for hazing. Fuzion is one example, although if you let it haze its still effortless to remove. Most pure carnauba waxes follow this trend.

The ones that require hazing usually are mixed with some synthetic elements, which usually do require the solvents to evaporate in order to cross link and bond with the paint.