PDA

View Full Version : Is UTTG slippery when dry?

Belair
08-25-2014, 09:22 PM
I'm thinking of applying it on the step rail running below the doors on a '12 Nissan xterra. The rail has a vinyl pattern that's raised. Not sure if anyone ever uses it to get in or out of the SUV, doubt it because it doesn't sit very high, but just in case someone steps on that vinyl I wouldn't want them to slip.

Anyone know if the Ultima product is slippery?

Setec Astronomy
08-25-2014, 09:35 PM
Be careful with the answers you get, they just came out with a new version that not too many people have used yet.

What I'm saying is you are going to get answers about the old (solvent-based) version, while if you buy some you are going to get the new (water-based) version. I doubt there is going to be much difference, I just don't want you to get snookered into thinking it's going to be one way and it winds up being the other.

Belair
08-25-2014, 10:05 PM
Thanks, I have the old version. Haven't really seen much talk about the newer one yet, wonder if it will be as durable as the old one.

Setec Astronomy
08-25-2014, 10:11 PM
Well, if you have the old version, you know that it's not really "slippery", it has that kind of silky sealant feel--not sure if that will translate to slippery on a step rail because I haven't used it that way.

richy
08-25-2014, 10:43 PM
I would think both versions would be slick when wet.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Belair
08-26-2014, 09:32 AM
I'm not sure what to use on this dumb thing; maybe just leave it undressed.

Setec Astronomy
08-26-2014, 09:38 AM
Perhaps a coating like C4 or DLux? I'm pretty sure this question has come up before about the step rails and being slippery but I can't find anything :(

FUNX650
08-26-2014, 10:54 AM
ONR @QD strength seems to work the best on most of the nerf bar inserts I have done over the past few years.
Note:
By "work the best"...I mean you shouldn't bust your butt, or other body parts, because of slickness.

Bob

Angus
08-26-2014, 11:21 AM
The new version doesn't dry to the touch, there is a slight amount of moister left over on the surface. However, a final buff will knock this down so I don't think it would be a safety issue.

IID
03-07-2015, 12:47 AM
I'm not sure what to use on this dumb thing; maybe just leave it undressed.

Is it the step that's dumb or the vehicle Belair :poke:

Rsurfer
03-07-2015, 03:36 PM
Is it the step that's dumb or the vehicle Belair :poke:

Wow, Chris you've been AWOL.

Justin at Final Inspection
03-07-2015, 04:15 PM
I have the new version of UTTG. Only have used it on tires so far. Not slick when dry. Seems to work OK. Never used the old version.

IID
03-07-2015, 06:07 PM
Wow, Chris you've been AWOL.

Hey Ron, how is it going?
Yes, it's been awhile since me visiting/contributing to the forum as I have been busy with work and living in a new city.
But looking forward to being active again this spring.