PDA

View Full Version : What else do I need to buy?

smokestack
08-25-2014, 08:44 PM
So I've gotten the detailing bug again, after having been quite the amateur detailer back in the day. My Fiancee having trashed her pretty new Passat and my having bought a brand new Tundra are what pushed me.

Here is what I have, or have purchased

Ordered a bunch of good MF and Waffle Weave Towels
Harbor Freight DA
Bought a used gas pressure washer
Nanoskin Pad Kit
5" Backing plate for the DA
9 pack of pads (kit from Autogeek)
Gallon of Mr. Pink Shampoo
2 Grit Guards
2 5 Gallon Buckets
2 Griots Wash Mitts
Electric Leaf Blower
Menzerna FG400, SF4000 and Powerlock
Collinite 845
Clay Bars
Plastic Razors
Touch Up Paint for the 2 Vehicles
Shop Vac
Foam Lance for the Pressure Washer

I have a 2014 the the dealer didn't detail, but I just put a nice scratch in... The Fiancée has a 2012 Passat TDI that has a ton of miles on it, and looks pretty rough. It needs the most TLC.

Here is what I am contemplating purchasing or still think I need: Compressor, some quick detailer, some dressings, Iron-X, Tar-x, Sonax wheel cleaner, leather treatment, glass cleaner, etc.

What else do I need to buy, hopefully at a decent price so I can go nuts on some cars soon?

Suggestions welcome... I would like to order soon so I can at least start on the Passat over the holiday weekend and get the Tundra at least washed

Feed back please

KMdef9
08-25-2014, 08:56 PM
ONR

Good spray bottles

I use 4 buckets=2BM, 1 for wheel cleaning, the other for a dirty towel collector

Don't bother with compressor, unless your using a small rotary

Get the rigid detailers kit for shop vacs

Sealant, I like Sonax Polymer Net Shield

Setec Astronomy
08-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Here is what I am contemplating purchasing or still think I need: Compressor, some quick detailer, some dressings, Iron-X, Tar-x, Sonax wheel cleaner, leather treatment, glass cleaner, etc.

Most of us now feel that quick detailers are passé and have been effectively replaced by today's waterless washes, like Ultima Waterless Wash Plus (UWW+) or the Pinnacle Waterless Wash, or some others. These are available in concentrate form and are very economical that way. You might have a little overlap with the Sonax and the Iron-X, you can also use Iron-X on your wheels. Also there are now many color-changing wheel cleaners, the Griot's seems to be the most economical.

Glass cleaners IMO are going to perform pretty much the same (the Optimum product is a little different); what is more important is the toweling and technique. The Meguiar's Detailer Glass Cleaner works well and is a concentrate; one gallon will make 11 gallons of RTU product, which is a lifetime supply for a hobbyist (works great on your house windows, too--grape smell is a little annoying).

smokestack
08-25-2014, 09:11 PM
Help me understand... Quick detailers are passe because of the WW products, but then what do you use for maintenance washes Spray Wax? Or is the Waterless Wash that good that none is needed. I can certainly understand Waterless Wash for clay lube and the like and I like your idea there, just thought QD still served a purpose. I am happy to not have to buy it if not needed..

What do y'all recommend for Spray Bottles?

I wanted the compressor to blow out the interior and stuff. Compressed air is always handy... It's not an immediate purchase item. I am stalking craigslist for a crackhead deal on one.

Belair
08-25-2014, 09:14 PM
I can see the bug has bitten you. Man with all that stuff you're ready to go; hopefully the motivation stays.

smokestack
08-25-2014, 09:15 PM
ONR Wash and Shine or ONR Wash and Wax or Both?

smokestack
08-25-2014, 09:16 PM
I can see the bug has bitten you. Man with all that stuff you're ready to go; hopefully the motivation stays.

I've always loved detailing cars... I just suppressed it for a long time. I really hate a dirty car, and I can't imagine taking a 50K Tundra through the Tunnel Wash... Ugh.

Setec Astronomy
08-25-2014, 09:17 PM
Help me understand... Quick detailers are passe because of the WW products, but then what do you use for maintenance washes Spray Wax? Or is the Waterless Wash that good that none is needed.

Oh, sorry, I forgot you said you used to do this, let me explain. Back in the old days you would do a wash and use a QD as a drying aid and to help with water spots. There were no good spray waxes then.

Now everyone uses a spray wax as a drying aid (Duragloss AquaWax {AW}, Meguiar's D156/Ultimate Quik Wax), and waterless wash for...um...waterless wash, and QD, and clay lube. Although a lot of people also use rinseless wash mixtures for clay lube.

fly07sti
08-25-2014, 09:24 PM
Help me understand... Quick detailers are passe because of the WW products, but then what do you use for maintenance washes Spray Wax? Or is the Waterless Wash that good that none is needed. I can certainly understand Waterless Wash for clay lube and the like and I like your idea there, just thought QD still served a purpose. I am happy to not have to buy it if not needed..

What do y'all recommend for Spray Bottles?

I wanted the compressor to blow out the interior and stuff. Compressed air is always handy... It's not an immediate
purchase item. I am stalking craigslist for a crackhead deal on one.

If you can get a 30+ gallon compressor, do it. Will always be able to use it for something. (blowing out interiors, pads, airing up tires, etc) As far as spray bottles go. Tolco sprayers are great and inexpensive. I get mine from CC and the bottles are thick and clear (16 & 32oz) I also have a Tundra (2010) it's somewhere on the post your ride as it sits thread.

personaltouchAD
08-25-2014, 10:11 PM
Megs hyper dressing, or 303 protectant for dressing tires and interior. Megs APC for cleaning interior, carpet, tires, wheel wells, door jambs, etc... And can also be diluted around 25:1 for a decent window cleaner. ONR for clay lube and quick detailer ( some use it for cleaning interior also). Don't forget polish for your wheels. Maybe a decent sealant to go under your wax. Daytona spped brush for cleaning the wheel barrels.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AG Online

smokestack
08-25-2014, 10:40 PM
Oh, sorry, I forgot you said you used to do this, let me explain. Back in the old days you would do a wash and use a QD as a drying aid and to help with water spots. There were no good spray waxes then.

Now everyone uses a spray wax as a drying aid (Duragloss AquaWax {AW}, Meguiar's D156/Ultimate Quik Wax), and waterless wash for...um...waterless wash, and QD, and clay lube. Although a lot of people also use rinseless wash mixtures for clay lube.

When I said I used to do this, my level was still somewhere below hack... I am not nearly as good as I fancied in my own mind. LOL

So a waterless wash isn't the same as a rinseless wash? And ONR and UWW aren't similar products, but different types of products? Do I need them both?

Setec Astronomy
08-25-2014, 10:47 PM
So a waterless wash isn't the same as a rinseless wash? And ONR and UWW aren't similar products, but different types of products? Do I need them both?

ONR was the original modern rinseless (QEW was the first rinseless AFAIK). UWW can be used as waterless or rinseless, depending how you dilute it.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23645-difference-between-normal-car-wash-waterless-car-wash-rinseless-car-wash-spray-detailer.html?highlight=rinseless

KMdef9
08-25-2014, 10:51 PM
Wheel woolies!

mcochris
08-25-2014, 11:03 PM
Mothers wheel brush. 1Z gummi, apply with small paint brush. UTTG or Opti-Coat for the trim. Does Perl run off trim?

smokestack
08-25-2014, 11:18 PM
Thanks guys... Keep the good information coming