PDA

View Full Version : Polish for new headlights

Denali-ws6
08-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Hello. I apologize in advance if this topic has been discussed. I am receiving a brand new set of headlights for my 07 yukon. They are a full hid retrofit, pretty pricey, so I want to protect them the best I can. I already ordered opti lens coating for them. However, with them being brand new, is polishing them before the opti needed? Or can I just give them a little no rinse wash/alcohol cleanse before the opti?

I assume they will be in great condition, maybe a little shipping surface scratches here and there. Is there is a light plastic polish I could use? I was thinking plastx. But I don't know if that may be too harsh? Please send me any recommendations you have, Thanks all.

Regards,

Brian

mcochris
08-25-2014, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't polish them, just do the opti lens. Do the least agressive treatment possible. Why mess with new lenses?

Denali-ws6
08-26-2014, 12:10 AM
That's what I was thinking...thanks

05RLS2
08-26-2014, 12:45 AM
Keep us updated on how the opti lens coating works for you. I am considering it to apply to the headlights of my new car. I am curious if it's easy to apply, or if you have to be really careful to avoid streaking like opti coat paint protection.

Denali-ws6
08-26-2014, 01:14 AM
Will do! I plan on putting the opti lens on my headlights, fogs, and taillights. Anywhere else I can apply? I know not on any painted surfaces.

CDot
08-26-2014, 08:15 AM
I wouldn't polish them, just do the opti lens. Do the least agressive treatment possible. Why mess with new lenses?

^^^Right. I wouldn't polish any headlights unless they are showing signs of decent wear. A lot of them come with a clear coat nowadays and you'll polish it off if you do so when new.

KB in MD
08-29-2014, 07:46 AM
why not use a protective film?

Dr_Pain
08-29-2014, 08:29 AM
I will bring the devils advocate argument. Personally I would do a "jeweling" polish to it, meaning I would use a super fine finishing polish on a very soft pad (on a DA high speed) to create microscopic imperfection for the bonding of the product. This is based on my speculation that the UV layer may not offer as much bonding (on a new lens), and to assure myself that nothing, I mean nothing is on the lens (from the manufacturer) that would prevent proper bonding. The key to ANY coating is the prep, so why not take the prep to a brand new product (knowing that they are not created in a vacuum, and will have contaminants or...)

DBAILEY
08-30-2014, 03:03 AM
Hit them with a cleaner polish that doesn't leave anything behind. It will jewel it a little and clean the lens to get the greatest bond out of the Opti-Lens.

ScottB
08-30-2014, 04:43 AM
Once the coating on lenses is gone, they yellow. Preserve the coating and use something like Opti-lense.