PDA

View Full Version : How to move up to Flex or Rupes?

Grifffx4
08-25-2014, 04:23 PM
I'm prolly not close enough in experience to use a Flex or Rupes but I want to learn eventually. I'm still learning my GG DA for now.

How do you progress to having the knowledge to use a Flex or Rupes?

I know it's an art and needs plenty of expertise. Do you just pick one up and hope you don't burn any paint? I don't see how to test the waters without just jumping in head first.

allenk4
08-25-2014, 04:38 PM
Your GG is a very good machine

Why do you think you need a FLEX or Rupes?

Everything you learn with the GG translates directly to using all other DA's, with only small adjustments:

-FLEX rotates counterclockwise

-Rupes can stop rotating on curved panels if too much pressure is applied

Flex3k
08-25-2014, 04:40 PM
I'm prolly not close enough in experience to use a Flex or Rupes but I want to learn eventually. I'm still learning my GG DA for now.

How do you progress to having the knowledge to use a Flex or Rupes?

I know it's an art and needs plenty of expertise. Do you just pick one up and hope you don't burn any paint? I don't see how to test the waters without just jumping in head first.

the only way your gonna gain experiance or atleast the way i learned was by youtube reading and hands on experiance for me i jumped right into a dewalt rotary buffer i bought at chemicals guys with a set of pads polishes when using a rotary you want to be super careful because its alot easier to burn the paint it also helped that i worked at a butchers detail shop or production based detail shop i think if you get a rupes its not that likely that you can have an accident since there alot safer than a rotary but its not much of a difference as learning from a gg da to a rupes with the flex since its forced rotation it a be more likely to burn through paint than a rupes but the only way to gain experiance is by using the machines hands on if your to worried about burning paint you can always pic up painted pieces of cars at the local junk yard to help gain experiance

Setec Astronomy
08-25-2014, 04:43 PM
You make it sound like you need special training to use a more expensive machine. You don't need any more experience to take advantage of one of those machines.

The Flex takes a little getting used to because the forced-rotation makes it want to walk a bit like a rotary does, and from what I understand, with the Rupes you may have a small learning curve when close to edges because of the long stroke, but there is no reason to be afraid or think you need more experience to use one of those machines.

Grifffx4
08-25-2014, 04:45 PM
Your GG is a very good machine

Why do you think you need a FLEX or Rupes?

Everything you learn with the GG translates directly to using all other DA's, with only small adjustments:

-FLEX rotates counterclockwise

-Rupes can stop rotating on curved panels if too much pressure is applied

I guess a rotary is more of what I was asking about. I just thought more professionals use Flex or Rupes to get more work done quicker and thus more profitable.

Setec Astronomy
08-25-2014, 04:49 PM
I just thought more professionals use Flex or Rupes to get more work done quicker and thus more profitable.

Yes, to them the higher price of admission is worth it because they will make the money back. For a hobbyist the return is less clear. Pros use them because they allow them to be more productive, but as I think you are saying it's not that you need to have pro experience to use the machine, as some might argue is the case with a rotary.

trekkeruss
08-25-2014, 05:11 PM
I'm not a pro and I have the Rupes Duetto. From what I gather, it's no different than similar DA's other than being smoother and quieter.

allenk4
08-25-2014, 06:18 PM
I guess a rotary is more of what I was asking about. I just thought more professionals use Flex or Rupes to get more work done quicker and thus more profitable.

Are you planning on Detailing Professionally?

There are lots of Pro's that never use a rotary at all

Grifffx4
08-25-2014, 06:39 PM
Yes, not full time