PDA

View Full Version : Leather conditioner and protectant

kevin39208
08-25-2014, 01:58 PM
I just purchased a 2004 GMC Sierra with leather interior. How can I tell if the interior has a coating? Or do I just clean and condition using the Lexol kit as though it does not have a coating?

At least I think I'm asking the right question here. :confused:

Audios S6
08-25-2014, 02:54 PM
I don't have experience with that particular leather, but it is more that likely coated. One easy way to check is to put a drop of water in an inconspicuous spot. If the water sits on the surface, it is coat; if it is absorbed, it is not coated. Soiling on the surface can cause this test to give a false positive, so clean the area well first.

There is no benefit to conditioning coated leather. Use a protectant instead.

There is some speculation that microcracking in the coating surface will allow conditioners to penetrate the coating. I have never seen this happen, just a mess of sticky conditioner residue on the surface.

jamesboyy
08-25-2014, 02:56 PM
Do what I call the "drop test" basically all you do is put a few drops of water on the seat if it soaks in its real leather if it sits on top its coated though a good thing to know most modern leather is coated so useing your lexol or even better leather masters or leatherque you will get good to great results

allenk4
08-25-2014, 03:24 PM
The water drop test works, IF the leather has not been treated. Many conditioners repel water

I always thought conditioning coated/painted leather was futile, but in the intro for the new Pinnacle Leather Conditioner, AGO indicates that the product penetrates coated leather in a GMC Sierra Denali

kevin39208
08-26-2014, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the input. I'll try the water drop test and see what I come up with.