PDA

View Full Version : Help - First timer trying to Polish and Wax with DA (having some issues)

Pages : [1] 2

Maturola
08-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Hi everyone, long time reader of the forums, just joined recently to share some deals and some feedback. this time I need some help from someone more experienced than myself.

Quick background, I got a Black 2007 911, I recently moved into a house with a garage so I can finally do my detailing more often and comfortably. So the past few weeks i've been reading reviews, watching ton of videos and reading this forums a lot. I got my a GG6 Orbital polisher, many car care supplies and a workbench.

Today I decided to give it a try and all i did was to mess it up. Here is where I am. I cleaned and Washed the car, Clayed and everything was great up to there, doing the little clear bag test yield a smooth surface.

I started polishing with Griots Machine polish 3, my paint is on pretty good shape except for the hood and roof, as my daily driver it gets pretty nasty. So as no seeing any improvement with #3, I went head and started using #2. After a couple of tries, I cannot see any change at all. The hood have this very small chips all over, they are not deep, I cannot feel it with my fingernail however they are many and all over the hood (and roof).

Once the polish is spread it is very hard for me to remove it, it's getting hard really quick and it is hard to wipe, so I noticed that I am creating new scratches when I wipe. I think something is not right.

While I am in the garage, the temp outside is like 150F, and the humidity index is like 1000% (Atlanta, GA), could this be the issues?

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

I am using Gold plush microfiber and I am also tried CG El Gordo Professional Extra Thick Supra Microfiber, same results. Also using Orange (looks pink to me, but it said orange on the packaging) GG PADs.

I couldn't get a good picture, however this one show those white spots, they are the chips I am talking about (they are not white, but they look like that on the pic, I think the flash is making them reflective).

Any help is welcome.

Thanks

allenk4
08-24-2014, 12:17 PM
I would suggest watching Mike Phillips' videos as a good starting point:

Dual Action Orbital Polisher Guide: how to remove swirls, scratches, & oxidation with an orbital buffer. Porter Cable 7424, foam pads, backing plate, (http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher.html)

Maturola
08-24-2014, 12:24 PM
I would suggest watching Mike Phillips' videos as a good starting point:

Dual Action Orbital Polisher Guide: how to remove swirls, scratches, & oxidation with an orbital buffer. Porter Cable 7424, foam pads, backing plate, (http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher.html)

Thank you for a quick response, I however done that already couple of time in case i missed anything. No much help with the issues I am experiencing

allenk4
08-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Porsche has notoriously soft paint that is susceptible to DA haze following compounding. Rubbing the paint vigorously to remove polish residue will scratch the paint. The towels you are using are fine, as long as they are very clean

If the polish is drying on the paint...I suspect you are using too much polish or are working too large of an area at a time

I am unfamiliar with the Griots line of polishes, but they are seldom.mentioned on the Forum. I prefer Menzerna products for Porsche paint. For basic swirls without a lot of RIDS, I had success withSF2500 on a white pad followed by SF4000 on a black pad.

The chips cannot be polished away. They require touch-up. For this many chips on a nice car like yours; I would suggest finding a professional in your area.

Maturola
08-24-2014, 12:49 PM
Porsche has notoriously soft paint that is susceptible to DA haze following compounding. Rubbing the paint vigorously to remove polish residue will scratch the paint. The towels you are using are fine, as long as they are very clean

If the polish is drying on the paint...I suspect you are using too much polish or are working too large of an area at a time

I am unfamiliar with the Griots line of polishes, but they are seldom.mentioned on the Forum. I prefer Menzerna products for Porsche paint. For basic swirls without a lot of RIDS, I had success withSF2500 on a white pad followed by SF4000 on a black pad.

The chips cannot be polished away. They require touch-up. For this many chips on a nice car like yours; I would suggest finding a professional in your area.

Thank you sir, I'll look into the Menzerna products.

the are I am working is about 14 x 12'' (just a little more than twice the size of the pad), I didn't think that was too much.

so the little chips I see, need to be repainted? even when they don't see so deep? I cannot feel them with my nail.

TurboToys
08-24-2014, 01:26 PM
polish drying would be either not using enough polish, or not enough lubrication while polshing.

did you prime your pad before going at it?

do you have any product to help remove polish residue like meguiars d114 (rinseless wash with no additives extra additives).

you could try a few things. work a small area, 1'x1' and see if your polish still dries up.

be sure to prime the pad up good so it's not soaking up all the oils as you're trying to work it. i'm not familiar enough with griots polishes to say whether or not its being worked long enough, but that may be an issue also.

i would definitely try a spray to help wipe away the polish residue, you could even use a quick detailer to get the polish residue off, spray and let it soak, then wipe away in a scooping motion. then use a 5-10% isopropyl alcohol mix with distilled water to remove the oils and qd residue to check your work.

allenk4
08-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Do not use IPA wipedowns on soft Porsche paint, it will cause marring

I suggest that if you are using wax as your LSP...skip the wipedown step entirely, except for the initial test spot

If your LSP REQUIRES a surgically clean surface. I suggest CarPro Eraser on soft paint

You should be doing a small test spot to see if your process is working before you polish the entire vehicle. It will save you a lot of time

TurboToys
08-24-2014, 03:05 PM
Do not use IPA wipedowns on soft Porsche paint, it will cause marring

I suggest that if you are using wax as your LSP...skip the wipedown step entirely, except for the initial test spot

If your LSP REQUIRES a surgically clean surface. I suggest CarPro Eraser on soft paint

You should be doing a small test spot to see if your process is working before you polish the entire vehicle. It will save you a lot of time

fyi... carpro eraser is an ipa mix...

2. Chemical description Chemical formula Con
tent CAS No. Remark
Isopropyl Alcohol < 30&#37; 67-63-0
Dionized water > 60% 7732-18-5
Sodium lauryl ether sulfate 1%-3% 685-34-2
odor additive 1% proprietary

the sles is a surfactant, same thing if you were to use a qd and then use ipa

allenk4
08-24-2014, 07:01 PM
fyi... carpro eraser is an ipa mix...

the sles is a surfactant, same thing if you were to use a qd and then use ipa

FYI back at ya'

CarPro has a lot of ingredients, wonder what they do?

They provide lubrication

Have you used Eraser? The difference is easily felt

I have tried IPA on a dark blue 911. I will not do it again.

allenk4
08-24-2014, 07:07 PM
a

Maturola
08-24-2014, 07:09 PM
polish drying would be either not using enough polish, or not enough lubrication while polshing.

did you prime your pad before going at it?

Thank you Sir, I don't think I cure the pads correctly, I spread the polish a little bit but i will try again and do better.

do you have any product to help remove polish residue like meguiars d114 (rinseless wash with no additives extra additives).

I do have, i have optimums and Griots spry wax.

you could try a few things. work a small area, 1'x1' and see if your polish still dries up

be sure to prime the pad up good so it's not soaking up all the oils as you're trying to work it. i'm not familiar enough with griots polishes to say whether or not its being worked long enough, but that may be an issue also.

i would definitely try a spray to help wipe away the polish residue, you could even use a quick detailer to get the polish residue off, spray and let it soak, then wipe away in a scooping motion. then use a 5-10% isopropyl alcohol mix with distilled water to remove the oils and qd residue to check your work.

Will give it another shot in a smaller area and use some lubrican to remove the polish.

mbkite
08-24-2014, 07:25 PM
Meguiars #7 hand glaze feed the paint before correction do a search I am not good with links.. But that's what u want to do..

allenk4
08-24-2014, 09:22 PM
Meguiars #7 hand glaze feed the paint before correction do a search I am not good with links.. But that's what u want to do..

Not on a 2007 Porsche, you don't!

TurboToys
08-25-2014, 11:25 PM
FYI back at ya'

CarPro has a lot of ingredients, wonder what they do?

They provide lubrication

Have you used Eraser? The difference is easily felt

I have tried IPA on a dark blue 911. I will not do it again.

i listed the "ingredients" above... water, ipa, fragrance, and a surfactant.

aka, ipa and qd

i would trust an msds sheet over someones sense of "feel"

allenk4
08-26-2014, 12:05 AM
i listed the "ingredients" above... water, ipa, fragrance, and a surfactant.

aka, ipa and qd

i would trust an msds sheet over someones sense of "feel"

Ok then

It must have been bad technique on my part. I got marring on Porsche paint

Have you tried Eraser?