PDA

View Full Version : Removing scratches on white Subaru

RottenII
08-23-2014, 03:50 PM
I'm pretty new at this and so far I've limited myself to polishing with my Griots DA. Recently I noticed my Mom's '12 Subaru had these scratches in the drivers door from my sisters well behaved dog. I have 3,5 and 6 inch backing plates and orange, white and blue CCS foam pads. I'm nervous about going at the scratches due to the body line in the door. A flat panel would make me feel a lot better. Recommendations for a compound/pad combo? I can feel the scratches with my finger nails but just barely.

rmagnus
08-23-2014, 06:21 PM
Usually when you can feel then with your fingernail you are best served to fill the scratch with touchup paint then buff out the remaining finish. Since your the only one that knows the depth your going to need to compound then polish and wax to minimize ot get rid of them.

You have a nice polisher and CCS pads are fine. You may need a compound pad which is yellow in the CCS line. What products do you have to work with?

Also because of that body line you'd be best served with masking it off to prevent a burn through.

If you fill the scratches with touchup paint let it dry of a day or two then you can lightly sand it with 2000-3000 grit paper lightly compound, polish then wax. Should look good as new. White is easy paint to work with.

Love dogs but dogs and painted panels don't mix get my drift?

jamesboyy
08-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Subaru paint is known to soft therefore I would use something like meguiars ultimate compound/polish(m105/m205) with most likely a white pad( test spot is gonna be helpful) as for the body lines see which pad will fit in the area best, and avoid the line the paint is thinner there, and still nervous tape it off, and if defect goes through the body line then work that section out by hand, lastly if the defect cannot be removed then don't keep trying leave it be

RottenII
08-23-2014, 07:25 PM
Thanks Guys. I don't have any compound right now, just polish which is Blackfire TP&S. I'll pick up a bottle of Megs ultimate and give it a shot. Appreciate the tips.

RottenII
08-28-2014, 12:01 PM
SUCCESS! Ended up taking some 3M compound and rubbing out the scratches by hand followed up with 3M polish on my 3inch pad/Griots. No sign there was ever anything there. Thanks everyone for the advice!!