PDA

View Full Version : Taping Trim

asallwey
08-23-2014, 10:38 AM
Here I go with another basic question. I've seen many posts and a number of videos on Detailing, and taping trim has usually been covered.

But, do I tape the body so I can do the trim/plastic/rubber? Assume the body is finished, and now it's time for some black stuff (of whatever brand). Do I need to tape again?

What do you do, and is product based (i.e. some black stuff may wipe off while another may not)? [hmmm, thinking too much?]

allenk4
08-23-2014, 10:59 AM
Taping off paint when applying trim dressing is generally not necessary. Most if these products can be easily wiped off of the paint with a microfiber towel

If you are using something like Solution Finish, which contains dye; I tape off the paint and quickly pull off the tape after application in case some seeps under the tape

A good applicator sponge will help keep dressing off of the trim in the 1st place

asallwey
08-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Ok, that makes it easier, and explains why "double taping" isn't mentioned.

Thanks!

Grifffx4
08-23-2014, 05:52 PM
My question on taping is do you generally tape the trim so that a tiny but of tape is on the paint to keep the creases clean? Or do you keep the tape only on the trim?

rmagnus
08-23-2014, 05:53 PM
Experience will dictate when to tape. I rarely tape but it depends on the situation. Before I cross over a body seam I usually break down the compound or polish as not to cake up a a body seam or emblem causing more clean up time.

If a raised edge looks suspicious I'll tape it. Many times these cars have been detailed by others so when I find burned edges I always tape them to prevent further damage.

Use products that don't turn black trim white. Like I said experience will tell you when to tape.

asallwey
08-24-2014, 08:55 AM
What turns rubber trim white? I know that paste Carnauba wax will. But what about the synthetics?

I'm new to modern methods, but I've used Meguiars Ultimate Compound & Meguiars NXT 2.0 sealant. In both cases I've run the buffer over rubber moldings. After a few weeks I've seen no white.

But what would happen if I wanted to apply dressing to the rubber? Would "best practice" say to clean the rubber with a APC to provide maximum absorption/adhesion? That would also remove any paint sealant. So maybe do the rubber first, then tape it and do the body?

What's the 'correct' way?