PDA

View Full Version : OPC on paint

inDetail
08-23-2014, 09:34 AM
I know OPC can be used on paint. Has any one tried it as a wipe down before LSP application. I'm okay with IPA but I usually have to go over it several times before a panel is squeaky clean. It also takes a while for IPA to evaporate.
My goal here is to minimize product on hand and maximize product usage for different tasks.
I know to be on the safe side I should dilute it further then the 3:1 OP's general ratio.
I'm not going to invest in a panel prep like Eraser.

Setec Astronomy
08-23-2014, 09:39 AM
You have to rinse OPC off after you use it, you can't just do a wipe like with a solvent.

conquistador
08-23-2014, 10:05 AM
Be very careful using opc on paint. Although it claims to be paint safe I have had it stain/ discolor white single stage paint before at a dilution of 3:1. It only took about 20 seconds to cause the damage. I was able to polish it out but have since switched to P21S Total Auto Wash for a paint safe APC.

Sent from my HTC One using AG Online

allenk4
08-23-2014, 11:08 AM
APC will leave behind residual surfactants, therefore it is not considered effective when prepping for a coating that requires a squeaky clean surface

IMO, it is unnecessary to do a wipedown after polishing, unless the LSP you are using specifically requires it. In that case, I would use whatever panel wipe they specifically suggest

Lakeside Detail
08-23-2014, 06:16 PM
I only use OPC on paint for bugs on the front bumper and mirrors that are really hard to get off. I usually split the bumper in 3 parts and work in sections to minimize the time OPC is on the paint. Never once had a problem and I believe I've use it on Honda single stage white.