PDA

View Full Version : Pad washer question

solman
08-21-2014, 08:02 PM
I was wondering if the grit guard pad washer lets you clean and dry the pad well enough continue using it? Or do you still need to change out the pad for a fresh one?
No doubt that it does a good job of cleaning the pads based on reviews but is it good to continue on working without fully drying them as in overnight.

David Hayward
08-21-2014, 08:53 PM
If you don't saturate it like crazy with the water and you spin dry it and then put it between a towel and squeeze you could probably use it later on the same car. I tried real hard to see if I could wash one and use right away and I still had a little water in it. Maybe someone else can chime in with a technique on drying them fast.

I'll be honest I haven't really figured out the best way to use my pad washer. It works amazing for cleaning but I'm still saturating the pads fully to clean them. So it seems similar to just soaking them just a bit faster.

David Hayward
08-21-2014, 08:54 PM
I just stick to using absurd amounts of pads.

ViGi
08-22-2014, 08:41 PM
That would be the best way. Absurd amount of pads.

swanicyouth
08-22-2014, 08:49 PM
If you don't saturate it like crazy with the water and you spin dry it and then put it between a towel and squeeze you could probably use it later on the same car. I tried real hard to see if I could wash one and use right away and I still had a little water in it. Maybe someone else can chime in with a technique on drying them fast.

I'll be honest I haven't really figured out the best way to use my pad washer. It works amazing for cleaning but I'm still saturating the pads fully to clean them. So it seems similar to just soaking them just a bit faster.

The polishes today or water based. If the pad is still damp - it won't matter much or at all. I've used damp pads many times - no problems. Better to use a damp pad than a dirty one.

You can dry them fast by laying them on a fan that swings up (like a Wind Tunnel) and then putting something heavy on them so they won't blow away. But, I wouldn't bother if you need to use a pad again right away. Just roll it up in a towel and squeeze and your good to go.

David Hayward
08-22-2014, 10:21 PM
My issue is I get a bit of spray even after squeezing as much water out as I can. So I typically just use a pad for a panel or 2 run it through the pad washer and lay it out to dry and just switch to a new one. Unless I'm using mf pads then I just blow them out and only use one or 2.

Daniel Kinder
08-22-2014, 10:48 PM
Yeah, you can get it completely dry and prime your pad again and go straight back to work.

I spray several sprays of dyna cone foam cleaner on my pads and place in bucket and pump 3 or 4 times and start machine and still pump while I'm rubbing pad against grit guard and move back and forth to clean center to outer edge of my pad.

Then raise my foam pad off grit guard while still spinning as for off grit guard just under the top of lid and let machine run for about 20 seconds or so.

Then turn off and bring out of grit guard and check pad, if damp I will remove the smaller grit guard attachment and place on outside of lid and run machine on top of it to help squeeze out any remaining water.

Or another option if your pad is still damp is to hold machine horizontal while pad is vertical turn on low speed and place your fingers on edge of pad to help remove the rest of the water or use a micro fiber towel.

Been doing my pads this way if for some reason they come out damp, I use Lake Country CCS 6.5 pads 80% of the time and started using Cobra pads and they usually come out damp every time but with all the grooves it's understandable and I've been able to get them dry before I go right back to work.

Hope I've helped and give a couple idea's.

sharpreflection
08-22-2014, 10:50 PM
If you use a rotary to spin dry it will dry much faster. If you Use two pafs and depending on the temperature outside it will be almost completely dry when you go to switch. Wool pads take a little longer though.

solman
08-25-2014, 07:31 AM
Thanks to all who responded.
I have put one on order.

Solman