PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a quick detailer

Pages : [1] 2

nubaseal
08-21-2014, 12:56 PM
I have very specific requirements for a QD. I need it to clean dirty/soiled fingerprints on the boot of the car EVERYDAY as the car undergoes a security check at work. This means the QD should be able to clean well, very well. Secondly, I want it to not add any gloss/wax/sealant as far as possible as it alters the look and behavior of my LSP and by adding these things, the panel becomes even more "sticky", thus making the next fingerprint more embedded than before.

I have tried ONR QD, UWW QD and ONR does not clean well as a waterless wash. UWW adds a lot of gloss but poor cleaning again. I use both as rinse less though.

I then tried Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer. It's a great product at many tasks but a spray detailer is not one of them.

Next up was Optimum Instant Detailer. So far the best of the lot as it has some kind of "flashing" ability to clean and then disappear without streaking. But it adds a lot of sealant type gloss, that's its only downside.

I am currently testing Dodo Juice Basics of Bling Detailing spray. It claims to be water based with zero protection but it streaks and requires a secondary buffing. Plus, it's not sleek at all. It feels like a very thick spray wax that adds a lot to the paint. It does clean well though.

Meguiar's Final Inspection is what I am eyeing next for multiple reasons. It is body shop safe and claims to add zero protection. It simply cleans. It can also replace panel wipes as it is good for inspecting paint after polishing if you want to check true correction. It is not a chemical paint stripper though, which is a good thing. My only fear is that whether it will strip the wax or sealant from the panel if used daily and whether it can be diluted. It is available in gallon size at a very lucrative price. Unfortunately, Meg's Last Touch is not available here but I understand Final Inspection may be more appropriate for what I need?

The underlying LSP is always a Carnauba wax like Vic's Red, Dodo Blue Velvet etc.

builthatch
08-21-2014, 12:59 PM
Opti-Clean

imo any changes it would leave to the protected surface appearance are not detectable enough to worry about but if for some reason you feel otherwise, try diluting it with an additional part of distilled water.

i think it's the best compromise between being strong, LSP-sparing, minimally LSP-altering with with maximum dirt/dust buffering while cleaning.

allenk4
08-21-2014, 01:12 PM
Rubbing you paint Daily with a microfiber towel will gradually remove your Carnauba LSP.

Final Inspection is a good product and is suited to your described needs

Have you considered changing from Carnauba to a silica coating?

2shiny
08-21-2014, 01:17 PM
Poorboys spray and wipe is one off the few that leaves no protection behind!

nubaseal
08-21-2014, 01:17 PM
Rubbing you paint Daily with a microfiber towel will gradually remove your Carnauba LSP.

Final Inspection is a good product and is suited to your described needs

Have you considered changing from Carnauba to a silica coating?

Thanks. Having tried many waxes, sealants & a coating; I prefer waxes as looks are more important to me. I know that being a daily driver, durability should be more important. But then I like waxing once a month. It just takes 30 minutes after an ONR wash really. Not a very smart or practical arrangement but THIS is therapy :xyxthumbs:

Opti-Clean

imo any changes it would leave to the protected surface appearance are not detectable enough to worry about but if for some reason you feel otherwise, try diluting it with an additional part of distilled water.

i think it's the best compromise between being strong, LSP-sparing, minimally LSP-altering with with maximum dirt/dust buffering while cleaning.

I am outside USA & Opti Clean is not available here. Both OID & Meg's Final Inspection are available in gallon though. OID is almost half the price as it can be diluted 1:4 whereas FI can't be diluted at all. But it sounds like FI is more versatile as a QD, Panel wipe etc. Plus I am guessing if it's safe under paint in a body shop, it is safe under or over a wax/sealant unlike ONR/OID that will alter your LSP even if you use them to remove a layer of wax.

Setec Astronomy
08-21-2014, 01:18 PM
This stuff has really gone up in price since it came out, and I haven't used it, but it's got 'nuba, baby: Pinnacle Liquid Crystal Waterless Wash Concentrate with Carnauba, waterless car wash, eco friendly car wash products (http://www.autogeek.net/waterless-wash-concentrate-with-carnauba.html)

nubaseal
08-21-2014, 01:23 PM
This stuff has really gone up in price since it came out, and I haven't used it, but it's got 'nuba, baby: Pinnacle Liquid Crystal Waterless Wash Concentrate with Carnauba, waterless car wash, eco friendly car wash products (http://www.autogeek.net/waterless-wash-concentrate-with-carnauba.html)

Thanks. Isn't ONR Wash & Wax the same thing at a lower price?

Setec Astronomy
08-21-2014, 01:24 PM

Not really, I've never heard of anyone using ONRWW as a waterless, I mean Dr. G doesn't even recommend ONR as a waterless, that's why he came out with Opti-Clean.

allenk4
08-21-2014, 01:27 PM

"This stuff has really gone up in price since it came out, and I haven't used it, but it's got 'nuba, baby: Pinnacle Liquid Crystal Waterless Wash Concentrate with Carnauba, waterless car wash, eco friendly car waproducts products"

I thought the Pinnacle Waterless was Worthless...smeared glass really heavily, lots of buffing to remove.

Pinnacle Rinseless is much better and I have used as a QD. Smells good too. Light cleaning abilities IMO

ONR should not affect the durability LSP significantly. I think it is overstated that it affects the appearance of your LSP.""

FUNX650
08-21-2014, 01:31 PM
•QDs without:
-silicone, "special gloss enhancing polymers", etc...
-That's a pretty tall order you're asking for!!

•Meguiar's Final Inspection is about as close as they come.

•Perhaps: Menzerna Paint Refresh Professional Grade Detail Spray, quick detailer, QD (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-paint-refresh.html)

•How about: Meguiars Rinse Free Express Wash, rinseless car wash, no rinse (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-rinsefree-express-wash.html)

Bob

Desertnate
08-21-2014, 01:34 PM
I thought the Pinnacle Waterless was Worthless...smeared glass really heavily, lots of buffing to remove.

I've not been real impressed with that product either. I found it to streak very easily and agree with the buffing.

As for a QD spray, my favorite is the bog standard Meguiars stuff that comes very cheaply in the maroon bottle.

tedj101
08-21-2014, 01:36 PM
I would recommend Final Inspection based on your desire to add nothing. However, since you are waxing with Carnauba, you might try Pinnacle Waterless Wash. It does leave something behind, but it is a bit of Carnauba which would probably be useful if you are going to do this every day.

<TED>

nubaseal
08-21-2014, 02:28 PM
I would recommend Final Inspection based on your desire to add nothing. However, since you are waxing with Carnauba, you might try Pinnacle Waterless Wash. It does leave something behind, but it is a bit of Carnauba which would probably be useful if you are going to do this every day.

<TED>

I will consider it. Little apprehensive as I had high hopes from UWW but that stuff just doesn't clean well. It just adds tons of gloss. ONR though not recommended as a water less wash cleans better than UWW.

On second thought, does anybody use Final Inspection as a panel wipe to check true correction after machine polishing? Prior to applying coatings and Nano Sealants?

builthatch
08-21-2014, 02:53 PM
Thanks. Having tried many waxes, sealants & a coating; I prefer waxes as looks are more important to me. I know that being a daily driver, durability should be more important. But then I like waxing once a month. It just takes 30 minutes after an ONR wash really. Not a very smart or practical arrangement but THIS is therapy :xyxthumbs:

I am outside USA & Opti Clean is not available here. Both OID & Meg's Final Inspection are available in gallon though. OID is almost half the price as it can be diluted 1:4 whereas FI can't be diluted at all. But it sounds like FI is more versatile as a QD, Panel wipe etc. Plus I am guessing if it's safe under paint in a body shop, it is safe under or over a wax/sealant unlike ONR/OID that will alter your LSP even if you use them to remove a layer of wax.

where are you located? i understand your stance with OID. i used to like it a lot for some of the reasons you dislike it, haha, but i like the fact that Opti-Clean is more effective in terms of buffering dust/dirt and can be used everywhere, including the cabin.

Bunky
08-21-2014, 06:41 PM
•QDs without:
-silicone, "special gloss enhancing polymers", etc...
-That's a pretty tall order you're asking for!!

•Meguiar's Final Inspection is about as close as they come.

•Perhaps: Menzerna Paint Refresh Professional Grade Detail Spray, quick detailer, QD (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-paint-refresh.html)

•How about: Meguiars Rinse Free Express Wash, rinseless car wash, no rinse (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-rinsefree-express-wash.html)

Bob

Mothers Pro Line Instant Detailer is paint shop safe.