PDA

View Full Version : C Quartz

Dr.K
08-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Can C Quartz be topped with another LSP, other than Reload, to inhance it's and the additional LSP's performance? Thank you in advance for your help.

cleanmycorolla
08-20-2014, 01:36 PM
Can C Quartz be topped with another LSP, other than Reload, to inhance it's and the additional LSP's performance? Thank you in advance for your help.

you could, but it wouldnt last, and you'd lose the wonderful beneifts it provides. You'd lose it water shedding ability. If you need to top things, coatings aren't the way to go IMO....

allenk4
08-20-2014, 02:16 PM

No, is the basic, practical answer

The CQuartz will not improve the performance of the LSP applied over it and the properties of LSP applied over CQuartz will take over

Some favor the additional coat as a "sacrificial layer". IMO, any additional protection provided by the additional layer of LSP is minimal

What are you trying to get out of CQuartz?

What are you trying to get out of topping CQuartz?

But, if you enjoy waxing, go ahead, but maybe a coating is not the best solution for you.

RevitalizeAutoSpa
08-20-2014, 02:48 PM
There are three main joys to coatings, IMO:

1. Maintenance - it's SO much easier to wash\dry.
2. Appearance - especially on dark colors, it just looks like a deep, glossy candy.
3. Scratch protection - even traditional CQuartz adds at least some protection.

Adding an LSP will negate a large part of number 1, and may or may not have an effect on number 2. It won't have any effect on number 3.

KillaCam
08-20-2014, 02:52 PM
I don't think any other lsp will perform as well as cquartz or reload.

Dr.K
08-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Thank you for the reply guys! I'm not sure I understand why topping with another LSP would negate the benifits. It seems to me that if I apply the coating and after curing apply a LSP over it, wouldn't the LSP protect the coating just like it does paint? I appreciate the help!

nubaseal
08-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Nope. The LSP on top will not protect CQ as CQ has better water and dirt shedding properties. The LSP on top will be working backwards.

So you add CQ to protect the paint and then a LSP to protect CQ? Maybe a spray wax on top of this LSP to protect the LSP then? Where does it stop?

Dr.K
08-23-2014, 12:27 PM
...as CQ has better water and dirt shedding properties.

This is great info. I didn't know that it had superior properties to LSP's. Thank you!

cleanmycorolla
08-23-2014, 12:56 PM
This is great info. I didn't know that it had superior properties to LSP's. Thank you!

It's the main reason people choose coatings! :xyxthumbs:

allenk4
08-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Thank you for the reply guys! I'm not sure I understand why topping with another LSP would negate the benifits. It seems to me that if I apply the coating and after curing apply a LSP over it, wouldn't the LSP protect the coating just like it does paint? I appreciate the help!

Put on your rubber boots....

Now put your sox on over the tip of your boots

Your feet will still stay dry, but the outside will be wet and dirty

Make sense?

allenk4
08-23-2014, 12:59 PM

Just to clarify...both "coatings" and waxes are LSP's

LSP is by definition the last thing you put on your paint