PDA

View Full Version : How long to let BFWD cure until topping with QD?

Junkyarddogg
08-20-2014, 12:56 PM
I want to top it with CG V7.

FUNX650
08-20-2014, 03:14 PM
"Re: Blackfire Wet Diamond Cure Time?

"Blackfire Wet Diamond cures extremely fast in most climates and conditions. It has a proprietary polymer drying powder (which is why you might get a fine dust in some situations on some paints) as wells the Polycharger catalyst. The goal with the sealant was to create a product that is super easy to use and super forgiving of application "errors".

As soon as the product is spread on the panel with just minor agitation it begins to cure, which is why it can be wiped off wet. Now if you where to apply BFWD, or any sealant (which relies on chemical reactions) in extreme climate (super humidity or cold temperatures) you can dramatically slow down the curing. The same if there is a lot of oil or other contaminants on the surface.

In most conditions on a well prepped and perfectly clean surface BFWD is going to be mostly cured by the time it hazes, 10-15 minutes. For numbers sake (only) let's say it is 80% cured, as in 80 percent of the active product has cross-linked at least 80% of the way. At this point you could apply a second coat with out disturbing the initial coat too much. However if you goal is to get the maximum benefit from each coat, then you want to wait as long as you reasonably can.

In most conditions, BFWD should achieve 100% curing in under an hour. However in extreme climates combined with over application it could conceivably take 12-24 hours."

~Todd Helm

Hope this helps.

Bob

Eric@CherryOnTop
08-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Topping it with v7 might disappoint you, that product is known for altering the properties of an LSP. You should look into sticking with the Blackfire line, either polymer spray or midnight sun detailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wdmaccord
08-20-2014, 04:11 PM
I always wait at least 12 hours before topping with anything and try to wait 24 hours if possible.

I agree to stick with the BF line. The Polymer Spray is awesome stuff!

custmsprty
08-20-2014, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=ekennett;1149502]Topping it with v7 might disappoint you, that product is known for altering the properties of an LSP. You should look into sticking with the Blackfire line, either polymer spray or midnight sun detailer.

:dblthumb2: :iagree:

And also, really no reason to "top it" anyway. V7 imho (and I like it) is nothing more than a glorified detail spray, calling it a sealant is really stretching the term "sealant" That being said, I like BFWDPS better than V7. I personally don't use it or V7 until after a wash or for a quick refresh. I never follow up with them after applying my LSP, I always let that stand on it's own.

Eric@CherryOnTop
08-21-2014, 07:12 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love v7. I use it religiously when I use CG paste waxes and black light. The three together are a winning combination.

It's just in the case of Blackfire, the line is actually developed to all be used together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nick McKees37
08-21-2014, 07:51 AM
I wouldn't touch for the paint for at least 12 hours. :dblthumb2:

V7 is a great product, but you will have much better results using BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Polymer Spray (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-spray-sealant.html). This product was designed using the same polymers as All Finish Paint Protection, so there is "synergistic chemical compatibility" between the two.

Junkyarddogg
08-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Thanks guys, I guess ill get the polymer spray. So what should I do with the V7 that I bought? Any use for it if I can't use it with BFWD on the car?

cleanmycorolla
08-21-2014, 09:20 AM
Thanks guys, I guess ill get the polymer spray. So what should I do with the V7 that I bought? Any use for it if I can't use it with BFWD on the car?

you can use it over bfwd, i think people are saying theres no need to do it right away. I use V7 over bfwd, but after a wash down the road not the next day!:dblthumb2: