PDA

View Full Version : Correcting terrible paint

kevin_1981
08-20-2014, 12:17 PM
Hey all,
I decided to test out my 6" Megs MF Cutting Discs on my brother's 2004 Grand Marquis. I didn't follow the guidelines of least aggressive approach first, as I wanted to test out these pads, and also, the paint is clearly in bad shape.

The car has been kept on the streets of Chicago during its whole life, and from the looks of the pain, it looks like it was washed with a scouring pad (really, i think it is messed up from putting cardboard boxes on the car. I just wanted some feedback on how much correction i should try to obtain - I wanted to try for a high correction level, just for practice, knowing that the car is just going to get beat up again. I do not have access to a paint thickness gauge. I just dont want to get too greedy and rip through the clearcoat After doing 3-4 passes with firm pressure, followed by 3 passes with light pressure. PC 7424XP, Megs MF Cutting Pads, Meg's UC (I later finished it with Green CCS and Megs UP to get rid of some hazing).

Feed back pleasehttp://i.imgur.com/EmzntWn.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZbFIiQ2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hNCfsyO.jpg

Setec Astronomy
08-20-2014, 12:21 PM
When you say 3-4 passes with firm pressure, then 3 lighter passes, that's all with your initial application of UC to the pad? I mean, you're not saying you did 3-4 "sets" of polishing, wiping off, cleaning the pad, and applying fresh compound between sets?

If you just did one "set" with 3-7 passes to work it, I'd say you removed a negligible amount of paint and don't worry about it. Huge improvement!

cleanmycorolla
08-20-2014, 12:28 PM
doing 3-4 passes is not going to burn the clear....unless they are 4 hours long each! :)

kevin_1981
08-20-2014, 12:38 PM
Setec - Sorry for the confusion. All a single "set" so about 6-7 passes, then wipe off, and proceed with polish. There were still a good amount of RIDS, and some of them i am able to feel with my fingernail, so I figure they're very deep.

Cleanmycorolla - I usually keep my arm moving slow, but not that slow ;) . I try to do 1-2" or so per second on the firm passes.

I'm really wishing i could justify buying a more powerful machine (Flex 3401 or something), but for a weekend warrior, I dont think I can justify the cost.

Setec Astronomy
08-20-2014, 01:29 PM
Setec - Sorry for the confusion.

I'm really wishing i could justify buying a more powerful machine (Flex 3401 or something), but for a weekend warrior, I dont think I can justify the cost.

No confusion, just making sure. I think it came out great, and probably all you could ask for in that condition.

allenk4
08-20-2014, 01:34 PM
Looks Great, especially since it is a DD that is going to be parked right back out on the streets

I would proceed with the same process used on the Test Spot

kevin_1981
08-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Thanks, guys! My brother doesnt really care about how it looks, so this is more just an opportunity to hone my skills a bit :). My car and my g/f's car have seen all the correction they need.

allenk4
08-20-2014, 02:10 PM
Thanks, guys! My brother doesnt really care about how it looks, so this is more just an opportunity to hone my skills a bit :). My car and my g/f's car have seen all the correction they need.

If he "doesn't really care", you should practice you wet sanding and rotary skills on it!

dlc95
08-20-2014, 03:11 PM
Very nice! Looks great as well. I also like the green CCS with 205/Ultimate Polish/SwirlX type polishes.

kevin_1981
08-20-2014, 03:44 PM
If he "doesn't really care", you should practice you wet sanding and rotary skills on it!

I'm thinking he might care if i completely messed up the paint :) I did some minor wetsanding on some etching on the g/f's car.. i would rather do it on a car where the owner literally doesnt care at all... might have to ask my neighbor to let me practice on his beater :)

Paul A.
08-20-2014, 04:10 PM
Those are very impressive and very dramatic shots of "corrected" vs. not! Nice work and results like that are exciting to see. I am guessing you will now have to the entire car if you haven't already.

kevin_1981
08-20-2014, 04:14 PM
Thanks Puckman! Depending on when I can get my hands back on his car, I will do some more... the interior needs Tons of work too...