PDA

View Full Version : The love of a coating....and why.

Pages : [1] 2

HUMP DIESEL
08-20-2014, 12:10 PM
So as the title implies, I do love my coating. Here is why. I have a 2001 Lexus IS300, cool little car that I drive daily. It has over 215,000 miles on it. This year I decided to put a coating on it. Before I had Menzerna Powerlok on it and it worked great, but I kept wanting to do more to the paint to refine the finish. One weekend, I set out to do just that. I compounded the whole vehicle and then polished it out to as close to perfect as I feel the paint could be on this car. I then coated it with GTechniq C1 stacked with EXOV2. The look and feel was exactly what I was going for, but everyone knows that, coatings are the rage, and I know alot of people like them because some add a tremendous amount of shine and gloss, but I would like to tell you why I like mine more than the look.
They are working on the main stretch of highway thru my area I-85, those on the East Coast will know that this is a main line highway thru the Carolinas and down into Georgia. They have stripped the top section of road to come back in and re-pave. Well, this has created a semi truck induced dust and debris cloud.
I just got back in from my lunch break and while I was out I ran by the local coin op and sprayed the car off. All of the grime from the road this morning rinsed away and I was left with my clean car again.
That is why I love my coating and why no matter what car I have from here on out, it will have a coating on it.

HUMP

dlc95
08-20-2014, 03:07 PM
Good to know! Those products were mentioned on an Autogeek video featuring Renny Doyle, that I watched last night.

Another member had amazing beading pics of GTechnic EVO.

Hazcat
08-20-2014, 03:24 PM
Good to know! Those products were mentioned on an Autogeek video featuring Renny Doyle, that I watched last night.

Another member had amazing beading pics of GTechnic EVO.

I wouldn't mind watching the video if you have a link.

RevitalizeAutoSpa
08-20-2014, 03:45 PM
I'm with you - my '02 Infiniti Q45 and the wife's '05 Infiniti QX56 both have CQuartzUK on them, and I couldn't be happier. When customers bring vehicles I've coated in for maintenance washes, I think "Man, this is great", because I know it'll only take me 45 minuets tops to get them straight.

FUNX650
08-20-2014, 06:14 PM
but everyone knows that, coatings are the rage, and I know alot of people like them

Outside of people that frequent detailing forums like AGO...

I wonder what % of people there are that even knows there are such "raging things" as car-care products that are called Coatings...instead of Waxes and, perhaps: Sealants?

Bob

Tacket
08-20-2014, 07:05 PM

I wonder what % of people there are that even knows there are such "raging things" as car-care products that are called Coatings...instead of Waxes and, perhaps: Sealants?

Bob

Agreed : No one I know knows the difference. It actually took me quite some time to fully understand the differences/advantages/disadvantages between them.

silverfox
08-20-2014, 07:35 PM
Looks have nothing to do with coatings....I ran my car over 20 times through my local touchless car wash last winter. The car looked flawless after every wash and come spring I had no need to do my annual spring maintenance polishing. I love love love my coating too. In fact I don't use the two bucket wash anymore. I power wash it, then foam cannon, power rinse again, and final wipe with waterless wash as I dry. Done.

Just02896
08-20-2014, 07:46 PM

Bob

C'mon Bob, take a walk on the wild side! Try it, you might like it! Lol!

Gadgetech
08-20-2014, 09:58 PM
Sounds like something I need to use on my wife's car. It sits outside all day long, is an SUV and I hate cleaning it.

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

MattPersman
08-21-2014, 05:26 AM
Yes for sure a perfect candidate for opti coat.

I like coatings it makes things just so much easier to clean it seems. They seem to save me quite a bit of time on weekly maint now. They aren't that much more money than if you are buying the flavor of the month sealant or wax every month or two either.

nubaseal
08-21-2014, 05:36 AM
Looks have nothing to do with coatings....I ran my car over 20 times through my local touchless car wash last winter. The car looked flawless after every wash and come spring I had no need to do my annual spring maintenance polishing. I love love love my coating too. In fact I don't use the two bucket wash anymore. I power wash it, then foam cannon, power rinse again, and final wipe with waterless wash as I dry. Done.

That sounds like the coating I need then. Which one is it?

HUMP DIESEL
08-21-2014, 06:56 AM

Bob

I try to educate them every time I inspect a car or talk to a potential client. I think cost scares a lot of them, but you have to explain that cost over the life of the car and or the coating.

HUMP

WRAPT C5Z06
08-21-2014, 07:32 AM
In fact I don't use the two bucket wash anymore. I power wash it, then foam cannon, power rinse again, and final wipe with waterless wash as I dry. Done.
I don't use a coating and still do the same thing, even a step less. I don't pre-power rinse. I foam, power rinse and Prima Hydro as I dry. My car is a daily driver but I do live in SoCal where the weather is not harsh.

What soap do you use with your cannon? I use Bilt Hamber Autofoam.

kevincwelch
08-21-2014, 08:27 AM
I love my coating as well, and I have coated both my car and my wife's car. Not only does the gloss look exceptional, but cleaning each car is so much easier now!

I've had Gtechniq C1/EXOv2 on my Tesla and recently put on 22PLE. My wife's car has PBL -- extra coats! (Longevity remains to be seen with the PBL; I've had bad luck with that one.)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/21/uhy7ubej.jpg

FUNX650
08-21-2014, 08:36 AM
I try to educate them every time I inspect a car or talk to a potential client. I think cost scares a lot of them, but you have to explain that cost over the life of the car and or the coating.

HUMP
There's over 14 million new vehicles sold in just the USA each and every year. This doesn't count the used vehicles in America (over 100 million)
Just think: This doesn't even begin to take into account the rest of the World's car ownership!!

Along with other detailers around the Globe:
How many of these vehicles' owners do you think gets educated in regards to Coatings?

Coatings are now "the rage".
Not hardly, IMO.

Bob