PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 845

Pages : [1] 2 3

Rsofa
08-20-2014, 08:24 AM
So is this a wax or a sealant???? I will be ordering a buffer kit and a few other things along with it ( if and when they have the next no exclusions sale)and would like to try the Collinite 845 if this is a last step what would be a good sealant to use first???? I am leaning towards the Griots buffer but they are on Back Order anyone know what's up with that?

lawrenceSA
08-20-2014, 08:31 AM
As far as I know it is a hybrid.

It should work well enough on its own in terms of protective abilities. Over here in South Africa I will typically see 4 to 6 months out of it.

wdmaccord
08-20-2014, 08:32 AM
As far as I know it is a hybrid.

It should work well enough on its own in terms of protective abilities. Over here in South Africa I will typically see 4 to 6 months out of it.

^^This

Rsofa
08-20-2014, 08:34 AM
So basically I could do the correction needed and follow up with the 845 and call it good??

Klasse Act
08-20-2014, 08:37 AM
So basically I could do the correction needed and follow up with the 845 and call it good??

Absolutely!

If you want, apply a 2nd coat the next day. This is, hands down, one of the easiest to apply and even easier to remove products on the market, period! Take the cap off, place you applicator pad over the top and flip upside down, leaves a spot the size of a dime and that amount will go a long, long way!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

lawrenceSA
08-20-2014, 08:37 AM

Can't see any reason why not.

I have followed that route on many vehicles, all without issue.

Read through this for more info on the product

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40243-collinite-845-definitive-how-guide-legendary-wax.html

:xyxthumbs:

Swift
08-20-2014, 08:42 AM
Its bottle call it insulator wax. Easy to apply and easy to clean. Collinite 476s is more durable and detergent proof, but its difficult to apply. LSP for sure. Apply thin.

mwoolfso
08-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Its bottle call it insulator wax. Easy to apply and easy to clean. Collinite 476s is more durable and detergent proof, but its difficult to apply. LSP for sure. Apply thin.

If you apply 845 properly then 476 would be just as smoothe.

Desertnate
08-20-2014, 10:48 AM
Can't see any reason why not.

I have followed that route on many vehicles, all without issue.

Read through this for more info on the product

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40243-collinite-845-definitive-how-guide-legendary-wax.html

:xyxthumbs:

Ditto.

I did the same. Last winter a single coat of 845 on my daily driver lasted 6 months through the worst winter we've seen in decades. I also just used a glaze rather than correcting and it still lasted that long. Some here worry about glazes shortening the lifespan of the LSP applied on top.

Klasse Act
08-20-2014, 10:51 AM
Ok, listen I'm not raggin' on any one person here, even though its been mentioned once again but I have used all 3 of the Collinite triplets in different ways and have NEVER, EVER had an issue applying it and more importantly REMOVING IT, PERIOD! I know alot of bad info can go out on a forum like ours here but this has been a theme that comes up all the time and its just not true. I have applied both #476 and #915 per the directions and had NO issue removing it. I then applied both product to the car from start to finish and THEN removed, again, NO ISSUE WITH REMOVAL! I then applied both products to the car and left it on the car for an entire day, then removed it and guess what, NO ISSUE WITH REMOVAL! Now just to be clear here, I removed each seperately, not together, I know it reads like this but that's not the case, 3 different methods with each products, so I consider myself to be pretty knowledgeable with Collinite and all this talk about #476 and #915 being hard to remove just isn't true and I wish it would stop because all its doing is keeping people from trying 2 of the best products on the market, period!

Setec Astronomy
08-20-2014, 10:57 AM
So is this a wax or a sealant????

It's a wax. Collinite seems to be one of those companies where if you talk to different people or talk to the same person on a different day you get different answers. Because people ask "how can a wax be so durable??" one answer was because "it has resins in it". Whatever that means...but I don't interpret that to mean this is a "hybrid" as someone mentioned above, a "hybrid" to me is an LSP that has both waxes and silicones in it. Of course, it could be a silicone resin...

nubaseal
08-20-2014, 12:17 PM
Klasse Act - I really struggled with 476 the other day. A friend gave me his tin to scoop out some to try, I transferred half of what was in there to a clean container. I used a damp Apllicator but the wax just refused to transfer from the pot to the pad. It's very hard and like granules. Is it possible it has gone bad? Is it usually very hard, dry and like lumps? Not like a WAX that easily spreads on your applicator if you rub it against the tin?

Setec Astronomy
08-20-2014, 12:24 PM
Klasse Act - I really struggled with 476 the other day. A friend gave me his tin to scoop out some to try, I transferred half of what was in there to a clean container. I used a damp Apllicator but the wax just refused to transfer from the pot to the pad. It's very hard and like granules. Is it possible it has gone bad? Is it usually very hard, dry and like lumps? Not like a WAX that easily spreads on your applicator if you rub it against the tin?

476 is very hard. I never use a damp applicator for any wax like that--I think the premise was it was supposed to keep the wax from soaking into the applicator. I think if you use a dry applicator you'll have better luck. If not you might want to try heating it up--SLIGHTLY. It sounds like it may have dried out a little already.

trashmanssd
08-20-2014, 12:29 PM
Ditto.

I did the same. Last winter a single coat of 845 on my daily driver lasted 6 months through the worst winter we've seen in decades. I also just used a glaze rather than correcting and it still lasted that long. Some here worry about glazes shortening the lifespan of the LSP applied on top.

I am a fan of glazes, there is only so much clear coat on your car you can't do heavy compounding every year maybe ever 2-3 years compound and every year do a polish. In between use glaze to hide the defects. Just my theory could be complete nonsense but I know I don't want to pay to re clear coat my car or truck.

Desertnate
08-20-2014, 03:11 PM
I am a fan of glazes, there is only so much clear coat on your car you can't do heavy compounding every year maybe ever 2-3 years compound and every year do a polish. In between use glaze to hide the defects. Just my theory could be complete nonsense but I know I don't want to pay to re clear coat my car or truck.

That's exactly why I use them. I take pretty good care of my vehicles, so I hope to only compound once or twice in the time I own them. However, I'll hit them once a year with a finishing polish in the spring to take care of winter abuse. A glaze sets me up nicely in the fall without having to polish.