PDA

View Full Version : should i go on?

shaggymarc
08-19-2014, 06:28 AM
Was out doing the full outside detail on subaru the other day. i clayed it and think i marred the paint. plus on further looking i noticed the person that had it before me use a lot of those touch up paint sticks. it does not match my paint really well. before i decide to go buy a buffer and spend all the time and money on buffer and correction kits. i would like to know if its worth the time to do my self or just bite the bullet and have a bodyshop do it for me. with winter coming in fast i want to get it done soon.

Mike Phillips
08-19-2014, 06:56 AM
Was out doing the full outside detail on subaru the other day. i clayed it and think i marred the paint. plus on further looking i noticed the person that had it before me use a lot of those touch up paint sticks. it does not match my paint really well. before i decide to go buy a buffer and spend all the time and money on buffer and correction kits. i would like to know if its worth the time to do my self or just bite the bullet and have a bodyshop do it for me. with winter coming in fast i want to get it done soon.

First since this is your first post to the AGO forum....

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

Second...

What are you working on?
What is your goal?

:dunno:

shaggymarc
08-19-2014, 07:17 AM
I am working on 2008 subaru impreza. I do not need a show car. But I would like a nice looking car. I live in a very wet climate a lot of rain and snow. I just do not want the car to rust.

Sent from my LGLS990 using AG Online

Mike Phillips
08-19-2014, 07:28 AM
I am working on 2008 subaru impreza. I do not need a show car. But I would like a nice looking car. I live in a very wet climate a lot of rain and snow. I just do not want the car to rust.

Thanks for adding that, it helps to complete the picture of what you have and what you're trying to do and why.

If you don't like the touch-up paint that the previous owner applied you can try to remove it and then re-do it.

If this is just the hood you could also get an estimate from a high quality body shop to re-paint the hood. I have 3-4 guys here locally I trust and assuming there's no dents or damage so all they have to do sand and paint they charge around $300.00 for a hood.

Not bad as long as the color matches, that's why you want to go with a quality shop.

If you plan on keeping the car for years then this might be the route that makes you the happiest.

If you want to do the touch-up paint first you have to remove the old stuff and that can be a pain depending upon the paint.

I wrote a review and how-to for the Dr. ColorChip System just about 2 weeks ago and I highly recommend it as simple, no-brainer way to take care of chips.

How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/83526-how-use-dr-colorchip-paint-chip-repair-systems.html)

:xyxthumbs:

shaggymarc
08-19-2014, 08:13 AM
These are some of the touch up paint the last owner did. Sorry photos won't upload. Try again later

shaggymarc
08-19-2014, 06:34 PM
here are photos of the paint patchs. if i polish the paint will those paint patch damage the paint? and if i dont getting it fixed befor winter will damage the paint?

Mike Phillips
08-20-2014, 06:15 AM
Looks like whoever did the touch-up paint work before you bought the car was wearing a blindfold or drinking all day....

if i polish the paint will those paint patch damage the paint? and if i dont getting it fixed befor winter will damage the paint?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean when you say,

will those paint patch damage the paint?

That said, it won't hurt to polish the paint in fact it will help a LOT. There's a LOT of scratches in the paint and a smooth surface will last longer and hold up to attack better than a scratched-up surface. So "yes" polishing will help.

As for the lousy touch-up paint work, I certainly don't blame you for wanting to fix it.

Last night there was touch-up paint blobs on the 1932 Ford I was working on and what I did was machine sand them flat and then buff out my sanding marks. But I'm working on a custom paint job, (thicker paint), not a factory finish.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=80457

:)

shaggymarc
08-20-2014, 07:18 AM
So I if run a polish over those patches it won't pull that touch up paint up and scratch the rest of the paint?