PDA

View Full Version : New Forester XT - grille faded after a day with the dealer?

Pages : [1] 2

smbstyle
08-18-2014, 10:27 PM
So I just got my 2014 Forester XT (purchased 3 months ago, has 8k miles) back from the dealer after they had it for two days to look at an issue we were having with it. My wife picked up the car, and noticed they did the complementary wash on the car. It was driven straight back to the house, and sat in the garage all weekend. The first time we looked at the front of the car since we got it back, we noticed a haze on the front Subaru badge and then a bunch of white spots all over the honeycomb front grille.

Upon a closer look, the white spotting isn't residue on the surface, it is actually the natural color of the plastic, as the black color has completely faded off; all along the top of the black grille as well as throughout all of the honeycomb openings. Also the haze on the badge won't go away. It wasn't like that when we dropped it off; nothing hit or fell onto the car on the way there or on the way back, and it was in our garage all weekend after we brought it home.

Any idea what could have caused this? I'm guessing someone who was cleaning the car may have put something on the plastic they shouldn't have like an acid wheel cleaner by mistake, stripping down the plastic in the grille.

I haven't seen anything like this before, and nothing in my arsenal can touch it other than a can of black spray paint.

http://protouchphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-ZPnjsTx/0/XL/i-ZPnjsTx-XL.jpg

http://protouchphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-JRdXjqR/0/XL/i-JRdXjqR-XL.jpg

http://protouchphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-nhPFhS6/0/XL/i-nhPFhS6-XL.jpg

SYMAWD
08-18-2014, 10:35 PM
Badge can probably be brought back with a light polish on a microfiber towel.

smbstyle
08-18-2014, 10:40 PM
Badge can probably be brought back with a light polish on a microfiber towel.

tried that by hand with some M105; will probably use one of my headlight resto pads on the orbital with a heavier polish.

custmsprty
08-18-2014, 10:45 PM
Take it back and have them replace the damaged parts asap.

fly07sti
08-18-2014, 11:27 PM

+1 I would assume they used an aggressive APC or wheel to to remove bugs and it reacted negatively.

jamesboyy
08-18-2014, 11:32 PM
I agree with the two previous post take it back to the dealer have them fix it

VISITOR
08-19-2014, 02:42 AM
something is not right there. they must of sprayed some heavy degreaser/acid on the car or maybe they checked the antifreeze coolant when it was hot and it exploded all over. definitely take it back and let them know it wasn't like that before you brought it in...

Selectchoice
08-19-2014, 03:59 AM
Take it back to the dealer. Definitely looks like something was spilt onto, or wiped onto those areas which should not have been.

Charger12
08-19-2014, 06:42 AM
Bring it back ASAP,I'm sure there answer will be "they didn't do it",let us know how it goes.

Desertnate
08-19-2014, 08:10 AM
tried that by hand with some M105; will probably use one of my headlight resto pads on the orbital with a heavier polish.

Agree with the others that it should go back for the dealer to fix.

I also think that 105 might be way to agressive for the plastic badges. I'd try something like Meg's PlasticX or other mild plastic polish. You may be making the hazing worse by using an agressive polish.

smbstyle
08-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Just an update, took it up to the dealer this morning, they were very friendly and intrigued but at first were hesitant to take fault; I don't blame them.

I told the service advisor that we didnt even look at the front end until we got home, and I thought it could have been caused by something that the guys washing the car sprayed on the car. He told me that they have been washing cars for years and have not seen the issue before, but he said he would get one of the guys who washes cars to come over and take a look.

Car washer came over, took a look at it and looked perplexed. I asked him if he used any kind of ammonia based APC or bug remover on the front grille, since it came to them after a long road trim from GA to MD and back, and right away he says "well yes we just switched to a new product for bug removal that's ammonia based"...

Long story short, they took it back into the service area, couldn't bring it back, and the dealer came to me and told me they are replacing the grille for me, without me having to ask/demand it.

I was pleasantly surprised by how they handled the issue; cautious, but when they realized it was something they did, they had no problem taking care of it.

Desertnate
08-19-2014, 10:13 AM
Glad it was resolved in civilized way. Sounds like they will be buying some new bug remover for the wash bay too.

smbstyle
08-19-2014, 10:32 AM
Glad it was resolved in civilized way. Sounds like they will be buying some new bug remover for the wash bay too.

Yeah I hope so; and also I'm making sure to note on every service ticket "Do not wash!"

Jake667
08-19-2014, 10:34 AM
I agree, take it back. The part should still be under warranty and therefore covered at no cost.

builthatch
08-19-2014, 10:40 AM

correct

the dealer came to me and told me they are replacing the grille for me, without me having to ask/demand it.

I was pleasantly surprised by how they handled the issue; cautious, but when they realized it was something they did, they had no problem taking care of it.

excellent!